NGD: '71/72 Welson SG (made in Italy)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
ohm-men
Expat
Expat

NGD: '71/72 Welson SG (made in Italy)

Post by ohm-men » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:09 am

A quiet unexpected NGD.

My very first guitar was a Japanese SG copy from Kawai that was rebranded "Gracia"
A very awfull guitar I must ad, but I really like how it looked.

Last week I was browsing through some local for sale adds and stumbled on this rather nice 1971 -72 Welson SG.
It reminded me a lot of the aformentioned Kawai/Gracia SG, So it peeked my intrest.
After some research, I contacted the seller and bought it .

Here are the sellers pics from the add

ImageImage
ImageImage

Turns out this guitar is quiet a gem.
Welson was an Italian music manufacturor at the same time as "Eko" and "Crucianelli" but much less known.
They started making guitars in the mid 50's and then moved to more extravagant solid bodies in the 60's.
They also made guitars for Wurlitzer and had a brand on the US market named "Orpheum" that is well known for their "Starfire" violin shaped guitars and basses. (These have the same pickups and trem unit as the SG)

The Welson SG I got is from their last larger run of guitars in the early seventies before the switched to making synths and keyboards.
They also made a simelar Les Paul model. They made another SG mid 70's that had a neck through construction (I think formite Pat used to own one of these) and they ran a kind of custom shop until the late 70's for custom orders.
The Welson company stopped making musical instruments alltogher at the early 80's.

At the late 60's musical instrument tastes changed drasticly, nobody really longer cared for the extravaganza of guitars produced by the Italian guitar manufacturors. Everybody wanted Strats, Les Pauls and SG's so it seamed...
Welson at the time known as "the Gibson of Europe" set out to produce some high quality copies and adding some flavor of their own.
Basicly the Welson SG is a straight copy of a 1965 Gibson SG. (Construction method included)
First copy to have a set neck just like Gibson and full mahogany neck and body.
There were no corners cut... Bound neck, dot inlays,nice rosewood fretboard, one piece neck, no scarf joint, no veloute....
Simple style headstock with Gibson-esque black overlay with their Welson inlayd logo.

Welson did add something of their history, adding a trem system (same as on their 60's models, looks pretty Fender inspired ;D ) and making their own version of a Humbucker pick up.
Apperently they were the first to do so in 1966-1967
The bridge is quiet a nice desing too. Looks like it's been inspired by the Gibson harmonica bridge, but it's more an upside down Jm/Jag kind of brigde with some kind of tom style saddles with 3 grooves each.

Last edited by ohm-men on Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: '71/72 Welson SG (made in Italy)

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:11 am

That’s pretty cool. I dig it. I’m a fan of SGs in general, so this thing rocks.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:29 am

The SG came with a nice case. I don't think it's an original one, more likely somehting from the 80's.
Looks like a SG/Les Paul hardcase. High quality for sure. I haven't seen a case like this one before.
Top side is curved (for a Les Paul) and there are foam parts inside that are SG shaped, but you clearly fit a LP in the case as well.

It has latches on the back to carry it on your back, but the straps are gonne.

Anyone know who manufactured this case?

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:00 am

Oh i had a Welson SG back in Mexico, must've been a later model. Very high quality and nice hut geez now THAT was a fat baseball bat neck! Hated it. :(

Edit: found the thread!
viewtopic.php?t=92475
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:04 am

Niiiiiice. I also have a hankering for an SG recently.
What do you think to those pickups? Look kind of like goldfoil

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:06 am

GreenKnee wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:04 am
Niiiiiice. I also have a hankering for an SG recently.
What do you think to those pickups? Look kind of like goldfoil
Yes, my thoughts exactly.
These pick ups are nothing like Gibson PAF at all.
They sound like fat single coils with a very clear top end, almost bell like with a hint of P-90, but different.
They are smaler in size then actual PAF's, but a tad larger then mini hb's.
Some 60's Höfners also had a pick up that looked very simelar ans I believe these are single coil's as well as in the later 60's Höfner made them with double rows of screws.

The Welson PU's on the SG are not wax potted, but this ads to their sonical charm imho. Not for shredders...
Used to have a Teisco Hollow body from the late 60's that had very simelar pu's with a simelar sound as well.
There is most defintly some Gold Foil sound to these pick ups.

I found some pics online from a sale add of a set of older Welson? pick ups and the seller included pics of them without covers.
I'm not even sure they are actual Welson pick ups or Japanese copies of them. (The bar magnets on the SG's pick ups are much closer to the egde of the cover then on the pick ups below, hence I think they are not the same)
These apear to be single coils, Although Im' not sure mine are the same as the wires are different and these have only a 2 screw holes for the pu adjustment.

ImageImage
ImageImage

The ones on the SG have no hum, but it could be they have some sort of dummy coil?
I'll have to take 'm apart to be sure. Maybe nect time when I do a string change I might have a peak under the hood.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:43 am

Italians guitars are pretty interresting ,like old japanese ones ,long times they have bad reputation but in fact they are well made ,solid wood ,this days jugements changed about and all increase in prices then buy them before you can't ;)
lot of guitar brand were accordion maker before 60 and the emergence of rock and roll and the need of electric guitar ,and electronic organ
i was fully surprise with my galanti V3003 ,really well made ,the trem is superb ,the pups are surprising too ,for me they are big single coil ,i need to made a nut for and maybe a planif but it play really well and sound like no other guitar i have (in a good way)

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:23 am

ludobag1 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:43 am
Italians guitars are pretty interresting ,like old japanese ones ,long times they have bad reputation but in fact they are well made ,solid wood ,this days jugements changed about and all increase in prices then buy them before you can't ;)
lot of guitar brand were accordion maker before 60 and the emergence of rock and roll and the need of electric guitar ,and electronic organ
i was fully surprise with my galanti V3003 ,really well made ,the trem is superb ,the pups are surprising too ,for me they are big single coil ,i need to made a nut for and maybe a planif but it play really well and sound like no other guitar i have (in a good way)
I've recently aquired somewhat of an interest in EU made vintage guitars.
Most of them are really well made and not über expensive.
I recently also aquired a Jolana short scale bass from the 70's. Also a very nice an unique sounding instrument.
The Galanti's I played were indeed very nice...