Guitars We Sold and Those That Got Away

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Eljaguar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Guitars We Sold and Those That Got Away

Post by Eljaguar » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:14 pm

Have you ever sold a guitar that lingers in your thoughts, a piece of your musical history you parted with? Share your stories of the ones that got away, or perhaps those you willingly let go.

Maintaining a modest guitar collection is my approach, with a self-imposed limit of three guitars to ensure practicality and financial prudence.

My journey began with a vintage Mustang '66 in Dakota Red, a gem I snagged for $1000 back in 2018. Despite a messed up case and a switch swap, it exuded authenticity. Yet, its small size didn't quite align with my taste, leading me to part with it for $1150 just a month later. Now, witnessing Mustangs fetch upwards of $2000 for a similar condition, I can't help but feel a pang of regret for letting it slip away.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/httbjfex ... 5ena0&dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nacs4q3r ... gbigl&dl=0

Next in line was a 1960 Jaguar AVRI in Fiesta Red, a floor model from CME snagged for $1500. Its exceptional feel and sound captivated me, but the allure of a 1979 Strat led me to sell it for $2000 last year. The pain of missing that Jaguar lingers.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/lyy1rrwy ... o78da&dl=0

In 2021, I acquired a 1952 Telecaster AVRI from 2010. It featured a fantastic neck and sound, with the bonus of the original deep C neck being swapped back by the previous owner. Despite its merits, I realized that I'm not a Telecaster enthusiast and eventually let it go.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/fnxjirsi ... 4gk3x&dl=0

Then came the heavy, vintage-laden 1979 Strat, tipping the scales at a hefty 10.25 pounds. It took time to acclimate to its weight and vintage frets, but I fell in love with its loud pickups.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/695aney0 ... w8alb&dl=0

However, the insatiable Gear Acquisition Syndrome struck, and I yearned for a true vintage Jaguar. The pursuit led me to sell the Stratocaster to fund my quest. Although I landed a Jaguar '66 Refin, it didn't quite hit the mark.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/j80f73px ... aklcp&dl=0

And so, the search continues, fueled by the eternal quest for that perfect guitar.
El Jaguar

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Guitars We Sold and Those That Got Away

Post by zhivago » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:31 am

I've had a few pretty cool guitars pass through my hands, and I sold each one for a reason, so I can't say I truly miss any of them.

If I could have one back I would like my '66 Electric XII black refin, as I sold that one purely for financial reasons.

Edit to add a photo of the XII:

Honorable (and weird) mention to a '61 stripped Ash Jazzmaster body that I sold...I now know someone that could restore it to its original colour, but back then were different times. Oh well. 8)
Resident Spartan.

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:47 am

Out of all the guitars I've sold over the years (and there have been many), there's one I particularly miss: a weird late 70s/early '80s Eko Cobra II.

I don't have any photos of it, but I made a demo back when I was selling it.

Here's the demo

I bought it at a flea market for something like 40 euros. It was in pretty good shape, aside from a rusty output jack (it didn't make any sound when plugged in because of it, which was probably the reason for the low price). That thing was AMAZING: loud DiMarzio-style humbuckers, long sustain, and a seriously cool tone character. It reminded me of Earl Slick's tone on David Bowie's "Live in LA '74" (my all-time favorite live record).

However, I had just been kicked out of college at the time and didn't have a job, so I had to sell it within a couple of weeks. The guy I sold it to, a local "punk authority," later found out I made a tiny profit on it and threatened to punch me in the face because of my tiny markup. He never did, though.

They seem to go for around 300 euros these days. I might pull the trigger someday.
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:08 am

Cool guitar, but you’re playing is absolutely awesome

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:18 am

Yeah, Kinx can shred like wild. Always great to hear his clips.

Guitars that got away, eh? Too many to count, but I’ll say one for sure, and that’s my old purple CIJ J Mascis Jazzmaster. I traded it out to a guy on Shortscale years ago, and I wouldn’t have, if I knew I’d miss that neck so much.

Another would be a candy cola MIA Telecaster. Traded it for two lesser guitars. One was a vintage Aria 12 String, that turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:22 am

You can sell guitars?

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:45 am

I have churned through a few in the quest to find "the one" or a quest to "Thin the herd"

The standout losses (sorry no pics)
Fiesta Red refin 66 jaguar - the best neck pickup i have ever heard in jaguar. Through no fault of its own it was associated with bad mojo.
Fiesta Red av64 Tele - sweet player and very rare but i had my eye on a custom shop.... should have skipped the custom shop tele
firemist silver av 65 Jazzmaster - the AV one not the thinskin, got purged since it was not better than my L series customshop jazzmaster. It was very very good and part of the FSR runs of the AV guitars like the fiesta tele.
Gibson Memphis es-345 - Got a deal on it and didnt understand how rare it was and how hard it woudl be to replace. Sold in a purge for cash and have regretted it from the moment i boxed it up. I s.em to be one of the few people that likes the varitone, especially with fuzz

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:46 am

Probably too many to mention but here's my list from memory:

'63 Fender Jazzmaster - it had a pro refinish in Candy Apple Red by previous owner - crazy as it is, I'm not a fan of CAR. At the time, it made the most sense financially and aesthetically to move it on. I've had regret about it but since I'm kind of over owning vintage guitars, the regret has lessened considerably. I guess I'd be better suited for a beat up vintage guitar that didn't have original pickups. Then I'd be alright with installing some modern noiseless pickups in it.

Fender AV '52 FSR Roasted Ash Tele - Super lightweight, lovely guitar. I had an opportunity to trade it up for another guitar and since I had other Teles, I moved it on. I'd probably try for another but they're quite rare out in the wild now.

Fender Parallel Universe Volume II Jazz Strat - ...this is the guitar I traded the AV '52 FSR Roasted Ash Tele for. Really loved this very well built, oddball Fender. Cool Decoboom pickguard, mystic surf finish with matching headstock, AV '65 Jazzmaster pickups. I ended up not playing it very much as I tend to gravitate towards my offset guitars. When the opportunity came up to trade this for my Johnny Marr Jag that I sold to Scout on here, I went for it. No regrets for the trade as the Marrguar is my #1 (and only now, lol) Jag. I have one of these Jazz Strats in my watchlist on Reverb. Maybe after moving some more gear, I'll get another one.

Gretsch G6120DSW Chet Atkins Hollow Body - One of my longest regrets, as I traded this with another Gretsch guy for his Gretsch G66129T-1957 Silver Jet as it would be my first Gretsch Jet. I didn't stick with the Silver Jet for long. This was back when most Gretsch guitars (MIJ) could still be had for under $2k. Now, the updated version of the G6120DSW is the Gretsch G6120T-55 Vintage Select '55 Chet Atkins Hollow Body and they sell new currently for $3499. Ended up putting some TV Jones T-Armonds in my Gretsch G6120BS Chet Atkins so it's basically the same guitar aside from the finish and appointments. I'd love to get another one just for the kitschy western appointments (G Brand, western motif inlays, Orange finish). I'm pretty well set for Gretsch guitars now, though, so it's more of a wistful tug of regret now.

Fortunately, throughout my buying/selling adventures, I don't miss the majority of gear I've moved on as I've replaced them with gear that works better for me.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:02 am

Really wish I had this unicorn back:

Heavily modded sg1 from the 90’s.

Rob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rob » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:10 am

Mine was what I thought at the time was an early 90s reissue of an SG Custom with the Maestro Vibrola. The binding was positively yellowed compared to my bandmate's '92 Les Paul Custom, and we were still teenagers that didn't know anything about guitars, nor how Gibson's serial number system changed over the years. In retrospect, I wonder if it was actually an early 70s SG Custom. This is the only photo I have of it (on the stand, behind literally everything).

Times got tough for awhile in my 20s, and I ended up putting it on consignment at my local shop for $1,000. Unfortunately, the shop ended up being burglarized multiple times that summer, and my SG was the first thing they grabbed. I've never seen another quite like it, so I have no idea what it actually was.

I didn't miss it at the time -- as evidenced in the photo, I was already favoring Jazzmasters by that point. But I do miss it in my soft middle age.

I know I had the serial number written down (on paper, as was done at the time), but it's been lost for decades. The only possibly-indentifying feature would be a little racecar decal that I applied in one of the body cavities. But I'm sure even that has been found (and removed) by a future owner.

Eljaguar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Eljaguar » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:09 pm

Nice playing! That guitar roars!
El Jaguar

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:27 pm

Apart from the cheap 60s offsets I got from pawn shops in the late 90s that are now worth a gazillion dollars, I don't have a lot of ones I miss a great deal. But there's definitely a couple.

My 82 (birth year) Peavey T40. Black with rosewood (rare) and OG case. Sold to a lovely old dude who did message saying I could buy it back but I haven't had the chance to drive across the country to get it. Probably missed my chance.

AO60s BMM Tele. Sold my first one, instant regret. Took 2 years to find another and now it's here for good.

My 67 Coronado LPB you all probably remember. I sold that too cheap and missed it immediately. Apparently it's over in Israel now. Lol.

1978 Traynor TS50-B. Sold to a very good engineer/producer down in Southampton. He apparently uses it on every single record now - and I've accidentally bought records with it on! He won't sell it back. I don't blame him.

I do kinda miss the Firestang. That was a fucking rad guitar. I also miss the Frankentele, but Pat has that so I know it's safe. And I will convince him to sell it back one day :ph34r:
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:11 pm

Kinx wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:47 am
Out of all the guitars I've sold over the years (and there have been many), there's one I particularly miss: a weird late 70s/early '80s Eko Cobra II.
I've sent you a PM ;)
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:13 pm

I have had well over 100 pass through my hands but there’s only a couple that I really regret. The most was an early Jerry Jones baritone. It played and sounded GREAT. The shorter scale vs Danelectros makes all the difference to me. I bought for $750 and cashed out when they hit $2000.

A ‘91 Les Paul Studio with an ebony fretboard and trapezoid inlays with a Bigsby. It just felt great. I pretty much gave it away to pay done bills. I loved that one.

A late ‘90s Martin HD28V. It was well worn in and had a perfect neck angle and bridge height. Lowest action of ever seen on an acoustic. It played so easily and sounded as great as I ever hoped for. Can’t even remember why I sold it. Probably to buy something else.

I try to not sell anything anymore. Shits so expensive now that I can’t afford to rebuy guitars.
A death’s head ring upon his finger

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:34 pm

Back in the early to mid-1970's I had a real acrylic Dan Armstrong guitar and, soon after, a Mosrite-built "Black Widow" Ampeg-badged guitar. The Dan Armstrong was too heavy and the neck was too wide for playing comfort. The Black Widow also had a wide neck. I sold both. I wouldn't want to have them for making music... but they were unique instruments and I sold them cheap. Each for around $400. :fp: