NGD - Yamaha LS6 A.R.E. acoustic

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD - Yamaha LS6 A.R.E. acoustic

Post by vistavision » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:38 pm

I started back at the guitar shop I worked at for a loooong time. My previous acoustic was a made-in-Korea Breedlove OM which was...perfectly serviceable. I tend to be an electric guy anyways but sitting around a guitar shop with a boatload of acoustics sort of helps me focus in on it again. :)

The concert-sized LS6 (S for small!) has a Solid Englemann Spruce top, laminate Rosewood body, 5-ply Mahogany/Rosewood neck, Rosewood fretboard, and a SRT passive piezo pickup. The finishing work is stellar. Most importantly for me it has a 44mm nut. I fingerpick a lot and 43mm nuts are just small enough to torpedo me. These street for $569 btw.

Yamaha also uses their ARE "Acoustic Resonance Enhancement" process on the top. Basically Yamaha's torrification process to age the wood. Yamaha use it on their violins, also. The aged Spruce top and the lam Rosewood body sound phenomenal. This thing's a cannon, too. Way louder than it's size suggests. I can't wait to get a mic in front of it for recording. I will say the passive piezo pickup is good, too. No controls but it does have a separate piezo element for each string. With a decent preamp it's pretty solid. Yamaha seems to have added the pickup as just a nice basic freebie.

Freakishly I haven't trashed the Elixir Nanowebs yet. We'll see. Yamaha did use 80/20s and not the Phosphor Bronze ones. I prefer 80/20s.

I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".