Electrical Guitar Company, anyone else have one?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Electrical Guitar Company, anyone else have one?

Post by burker » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:12 pm

Hey, a while back I finally satisfied my need for an aluminum necked guitar, after lusting after a travis bean for years, I found the Electrical Guitar Company, they do a cool sort of Bean meets Veleno kind of thing anyway here it is:

Im incredibly satisfied with it, its one of the best guitars I have ever played, the neck is very slim though, so it took me a while to get used to it (ive got big hands)...
Im just wondering if anyone else has one of these instruments, I think mine might be one of only a few with the tb-3000 body shape (I had always thought this was the coolest guitar shape, the contours are a little different)
By the way I didnt take the photo... its off the builders myspace.

Naturality
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Electrical Guitar Company, anyone else have one?

Post by Naturality » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:15 pm

Did you get it off ebay? Cause I swear I saw one of them on there

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:20 pm

Nope, directly from Kevin (the guy who owns the company).

Naturality
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Naturality » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:23 pm

Cool

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:57 pm

I know Kevin, he's from my hometown... he played bass in a cool band called Gravity Keeps the Hours.  I've played his prototype before and it had a dead flat no-radius fret board.  I couldn't stomach it one bit.  I guess he makes whatever radius you prefer though which is good cause flat feel like playing guitar on a strung up plank to me.  What radius did you get?  Anyway, the real point is he's a good guy and I'm glad hes doing well with his guitars. 

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:17 pm

Mine has the flat radius, i actually really like it..... not sure why as most of  my guitars have a 7 1/4" fender radius, then again i never mind switching between 25 1/2" and 24" scales so ithink im not picky with that stuff...

rabidhamster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rabidhamster » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:33 pm

Id love to get one of those, but I cant do a thin neck so much.  the only thin necks that have ever agreed with me are the old japanese Ibanez RG550s.  I've played quite a few others that felt almost the same and still made my hand cramp. 

Can you compare the neck feel to any other production guitar we may have tried?

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:58 am

Hmm, well its thin, I think .65 inches... the odd thing about it is it doesn't feel like it tapers at all. 
I used to have a wonderful late 60's gibson with a super thin neck that I didn't get along with cause it tapered to a rather large size by the 12th fret.... that would cramp up my hand.
I like playing with the straight thin neck quite well though, closest thing it reminds me of was a 71' dan armstrong I once played..... its apparently based on the veleno neck though.. Sorry for the weird/obscure guitars im comparing it to. It feels pretty unique yaknow?

Its been a long time since I played a travis bean (and ive never owned one) so I can't really compare it to that.

enormous
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by enormous » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:10 pm

I am currently waiting for him to finish up a Custom 500, I will post some pics and a review once I get it.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:16 am

Digging up a real old thread as there doesn't seem to be any other posts about this brand anywhere.

I've owned 3 Electrical Guitar Company guitars (4 if you count bolt-on's) so I've a bit of insight into them.

My first one from 2018 is a parts build using a 2017 bolt-on neck on a one-piece mahogany hardtail Jazzmaster body, EMG 81 / 85 pickups. Can't speak to the EGC sound as the pickups and construction are totally different. I will say I have noticed this one is super resonant and sustains intensely which I put down to the rigidity of the neck, compression from the active pickups and the string-through construction. Weirdly it has the thickest neck profile out of any EGC I've owned, apparently they've slimmed it down in recent years.

Thick neck

My second was a custom order EGC Tyranny in vintage white which I ordered in March 2019 and received in November 2019. Spec-wise it had the regular super thin neck profile in a brushed finish. I really enjoyed this one but the wide-range style pickups were just a bit too treble focused I found over time. It would've been a perfect guitar if I played in a 3 piece band but I could never get it dialled in properly with the other guitarist in my band. Not as much sustain as I was hoping for either, my parts build still sustained way more.

Thin neck

Third in 2022 was an EGC 500 Custom with a mahogany body (they've discontinued producing wood body models as far as I'm aware). Really loved this one actually. Same thin pattern neck but it had the regular EGC humbuckers rather than the wide-ranges and that made a huge difference. Much less high-end than the Tyranny and more of a smooth attack. Was really weirdly light as well, only around 9 pounds. This one made me realise that I liked EGC humbuckers but wanted them in a aluminium body rather than a wood as the attack was just a tad bit subdued for my tastes. I also wanted to experiment with EGC neck shapes as I really like the thin necks but was developing some wrist issues the last year or so and found myself playing the Jazzmaster build way more often.

Fourth and final. Ken Andrews Prototype Series 5. Always loved Jazzmasters, and had wanted one of these from the start but thought they were way out of reach. This prototype came up and I couldn't pass it up. Has a really really nice ''Spencer'' designation neck profile, like a modern Fender C. Not too thick, not too thin, very comfortable overall. Sounds great, really like the regular humbuckers in a full aluminium construction. Resonant as all hell, really sustains well.

Spencer neck

The final two together, these are the only guitars I own and play live.

I couldn't recommend them more, however given the various controversies RE expanding wait times for new builds I think the best bet with EGC is buy already made guitars directly from their Reverb store when they list it or wait for 2nd hand models to become available. If you're patient you can grab something with your desired specs without any worries.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen