Telecaster Headstock - Right or Wrong....

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Telecaster Headstock - Right or Wrong....

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:04 pm

OK. Another aesthetics related post. People, don't take this personally.I know they're legendary guitars & incredibly desirable amongst a lot of you guys'n'gals out there......but, I've never been able to get used to the headstock shape.

The infuriating thing for me is that there are so many Teles out there that look drop-dead gorgeous until you get to the headstock!! (Imagine a curvacious brunette who smiles at you only to reveal half her teeth are missing!!!) What makes matters worse (for me) is that the only Tele headstock I like is the '72 Deluxe (kinda Mustangy) but the body is so boring!!!

I would love (& have looked into) getting one of those 72 Deluxe necks & restoring an old 60's Telecaster. For me it would make one beautiful guitar!! A perfect hybrid.

Incidentally (and maybe cos of the resurgence in guitar bands using them) that 72 headstock has been incorporated onto 2 new teles..see fender.com. They're both pretty lame though!!

Opinions welcome, naturally......  :)

P.S - When I call the Deluxe body boring I mean it just aint as stylish as the classic Tele design (with the chrome knob strip)
Last edited by PorkyPrimeCut on Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Telecaster Headstock - Right or Wrong....

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:34 pm

For example....

Pretty rough mock-ups but you get the idea....
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:44 pm

I like the stock Telecaster headstock shape, alot.

To me, a Deluxe doesn't look boring at all. I think there are enough differences that I don't even think of them as a Telecaster. In my mind, they are enitirely different animals (mostly because of the sound), so when I see a Deluxe, I think Deluxe and not so much Telecaster. For me, the large Strat headstock looks okay on them, but for me more "normal" looking (read '50s and '60s Telecasters look MUCH better with the original headstock shape.  But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Justin
A death’s head ring upon his finger

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:47 pm

I like the Deluxe headstock on the deluxe, but not the regular tele. For me it has to have the big pickguard and the wrhp's to look right.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:25 pm

The Tele is perfect, just the way it is... :? :? :?  I love the slim headstock, especially with a spaghetti logo behind the string tree! 

But they are all beautiful!

This one doesn't look quite right on a Tele, though...
ImageImage (John5)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:37 pm

I love the tele headstock! 

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:02 am

I love tele headstock, with spag logo. Looks great, very sleek. Teles with strat/etc headstocks look a bit off to me.
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:04 am

yeah i love the regular tele headstock too. being a huge tele deluxe fan, i once thought i could soup up my regular telecaster with a strat neck and make it look a bit more like a deluxe, but i didn´t like it at all. the headstock just didn´t look like it was in proportion with the rest of the guitar. that goes for Porky´s mockups too.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:13 am

I live the telecaster headstock, I think it's really elegant. The big deluxe headstock only really looks good on the deluxe IMHO
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:41 am

mynameisjonas wrote: yeah i love the regular tele headstock too. being a huge tele deluxe fan, i once thought i could soup up my regular telecaster with a strat neck and make it look a bit more like a deluxe, but i didn´t like it at all. the headstock just didn´t look like it was in proportion with the rest of the guitar. that goes for Porky´s mockups too.
yeah. Might be something to do with the huge pickups/chrome and huge pickguard on the deluxes. Everything on those is huge!
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:20 am

I didn't like the headstock when I first saw it, but it's actually my favourite now.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:22 am

I like the headstock a lot. I think it looks awesome on Teles, and not so good on anything else.
Bigger in sum than parts.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 am

I like it, and it's the one original Fender headstock shape that Leo didn't appropriate from the original Paul Bigsby guitar.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bigsby

I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:22 am

:D Got Wood  :D

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:58 am

I love the Tele headstock....and all the other parts, too!!  :-* :-* :-*
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.