The Official Mosrite Appreciation Thread

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: The Official Mosrite Appreciation Thread

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:27 pm

Salfaromeab wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:56 am
OffYourFace wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:17 am
Salfaromeab wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:11 am

Cheers! I'm not 100% sure beyond it being 90's. Was originally Sunburst poly but I had it refined Oly nitro last year.

Whoa very cool. I just bought a black ‘66 body for $400, a a mid 60s bridge, an aftermarket black 3-ply pickguard and a pair of black Ed Elliot pickups. Now I’m on the hunt for a Vibramute and a neck.
Ah nice, was that the body on reverb? Had that on my watch list haha! I think Bob Shade at Hallmark might keep some original parts, or at the very least does repairs on original parts if you find anything non-functional. Ed Elliot makes amazing stuff too, best of luck!
yep, i got the bridge and body from the same seller. I wrote to Bob to see what he has.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:35 pm

It turns out the bridge I got is not legit so I have to deal with that. Stupid me, I cleaned all the rust off and lubricated the rollers before checking the string spacing (It's too wide, most likely an odd Japanese made unit). I hope that doesn't affect my dispute.

Bob Shade has all the parts I need luckily.

Salfaromeab
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Salfaromeab » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:34 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:35 pm
It turns out the bridge I got is not legit so I have to deal with that. Stupid me, I cleaned all the rust off and lubricated the rollers before checking the string spacing (It's too wide, most likely an odd Japanese made unit). I hope that doesn't affect my dispute.

Bob Shade has all the parts I need luckily.
Ah that sucks, hope you can get it sorted. Cool that Bob had the rest of the stuff you needed though!
Through the tallest wave, into outer space.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:36 am

I modded the guitar I bought from OSGer Johnny Alien. It was made by Jason Ingrodi around 2010 website

I added a neck pickup and a tone control. The pickups are made by Ed Elliott, an ex Mosrite employee. I also cut the original pickguard because it's pretty unique to this guitar. The body & pickguard shape isn't vintage accurate so I didn't really have a choice. But it's handmade and feels like a vintage guitar, especially after some work I did to the neck. I used a razor blade on the binding to give it a slight round over and used 3M polishing paper on the back of the neck to make it smooth. The oil finish now looks like thin lacquer (i'll try to capture that in a future photo).

This is now my favorite guitar. It's loud and rich acoustically, has more sustain than you'd think with that angled roller bridge and the pickups are big & loud like P90s but still sparkle. :-* :-* :-*

24 3/4" scale set up with Curt Mangan Pure Nickel 10-46 strings and small 6230 frets. I usually prefer 11s or 12s on my Jazzmaster with medium frets but I really like the way this guitar makes me play.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:46 am

Yeah, that looks amazing!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:30 pm

This thread appearing seems like a pretty good place to share a Morales ZES-300 that's come up on reverb and is occupying way too much space in my mind:

I really do not need another guitar, let alone a solid body with big single coils, but here we are. They're just so damn cool.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:57 pm

Those are supposed to be great. Tim from TYM told me that those are usually great guitars.

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sumlin » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:59 am

F15hface wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:30 pm
This thread appearing seems like a pretty good place to share a Morales ZES-300 that's come up on reverb and is occupying way too much space in my mind:

I really do not need another guitar, let alone a solid body with big single coils, but here we are. They're just so damn cool.
I think this is my friend Andy's - he's a good guy and can vouch for him if it's in Nottingham. Morales are really cool but incredibly heavy guitars - they weight more than most Les Pauls plus the neck is ply so it has a very percussive, non-resonant sound. I love mine and use it for recording all the time though.

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:11 am

sumlin wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:59 am
F15hface wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:30 pm

I think this is my friend Andy's - he's a good guy and can vouch for him if it's in Nottingham. Morales are really cool but incredibly heavy guitars - they weight more than most Les Pauls plus the neck is ply so it has a very percussive, non-resonant sound. I love mine and use it for recording all the time though.
That all matches up! I’ve not been able to justify the expense with another guitar and some pedals on the way, and hearing that they’re heavy kills my lingering interest sadly. Still a fabulous looking thing though.

enricosonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by enricosonic » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:51 pm

This is a lesser offering but I had two old Hi-Fliers I sold on awhile back and instead of springing for the real deal I got this thing several years ago. Some folks love the neck pickup but I didn't and installed a Super'Tron.

I love everything except the Bigsby. I removed the spring and put a wooden block/dowel in there, but I'd be open to anyone's thoughts on a Mosrite style unit.

enricosonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by enricosonic » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:33 pm

Mosrites are not offset. I’m 58 and just realized.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:19 pm

enricosonic wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:51 pm

I love everything except the Bigsby. I removed the spring and put a wooden block/dowel in there, but I'd be open to anyone's thoughts on a Mosrite style unit.
The Hallmark/Shade vibrato is supposed to be great. You'll def have some holes from the bigbsy showing still.

enricosonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by enricosonic » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:22 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:19 pm
The Hallmark/Shade vibrato is supposed to be great. You'll def have some holes from the bigbsy showing still.
Thanks - yeah I figure on having to fill holes.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:07 pm

In case anyone hasn't seen my Hallmark '65 Custom (with custom aquaburst finish)...wonderful guitar!

Night shot to try and capture the sparkly without using a flash...sorry for it being blurry...

The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Tyrannocaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tyrannocaster » Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:39 am

Testing my Postimage account with this cover art shot of my special run Green Sparkle Hallmark. If this works I can post more pix of this thing later, as I have more on my other computer. Mosrites and I go back a long, long time; beautiful, interesting guitars and imo Hallmark has done a great job of addressing most of the problems the originals had.

I can never remember Hallmark's model numbers, but this is one of the setnecks with the painted headstock and neck. That's a lot of green! The only thing I would change on this is to go with black pickups covers and mounting rings, but Bob didn't have any. The white is interesting but just looks wrong to me.

Here's a couple of full shots of the guitar:

Oh, and here's a tune I recorded using just the Hallmark. It's NOT a surf tune, lol, but it does use the guitar's wonderful vibrato system a fair amount.

https://hearthis.at/tyrannocaster/foolhismoney-3a/
My tunes can always be found at https://hearthis.at/tyrannocaster/