How much does a Travis Bean guitar weight ?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
March North
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How much does a Travis Bean guitar weight ?

Post by March North » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:08 am

Flatus wrote:Thank you guys, very nice to hear from a bean owner with expirience. im used to neck heavy guitars so thats not a problem for me. Gibson Sg was my main guitar for some years before i got into offsets and i had a Kramer aluminum neck for a year or so. Im going to contact the owner of the Bean and see if there is a chance if he will sell it for a good price. it's really absurd how he got the guitar. He bought it sometime in the 90's and the guitar had been in a repair in a guitar shop for a long time and the former owner never came to get his guitar back and he didn't leave a a number or a address. And the guitar shop ended up selling the guitar to the now owner for pretty cheap and now im gonna contact the owner and check if he want's to sell it to me, i hope im not to optimistic :blush: . I will definitely post pictures of it here on the forum if i will buy it. Im really impresed of the sound of Travis Bean guitars, it's so unique.
Here a one nice video of a Travis bean in action ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUR--JKdm7M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd be careful of assuming you'll get the sound of Duane Denison just by owning his guitar... I mean, what if you bought a Fender Jazz Bass and expected it to sound like this when you picked it up? ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW8UUKqQGO4&NR=1

The Jesus Lizard, that is a unique sound indeed!

|||||||||||||||||||||||||
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ||||||||||||||||||||||||| » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:52 am

March North wrote:
I'd be careful of assuming you'll get the sound of Duane Denison just by owning his guitar... I mean, what if you bought a Fender Jazz Bass and expected it to sound like this when you picked it up? ;)

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. If you pick up a TB1000S and a plug it into a Hiwatt and crank the shit out of it, you will have a tone that is nearly identical to Duane Denison's. Same thing with the bass, plug a Jazz bass (any single coil bass really) into a TS50B or a Rusty Box and there is there is the Sims bass tone.

Also, and I'm not trying to be a dick, there really isn't a comparison between Vaccarros / Kramers and Travis Beans. They share some very basic similarities but the Beans are absolutely better in every regard. I know that makes me sound elitist, but it's the honest truth.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:29 pm

||||||||||||||||||||||||| wrote:Also, and I'm not trying to be a dick, there really isn't a comparison between Vaccarros / Kramers and Travis Beans. They share some very basic similarities but the Beans are absolutely better in every regard. I know that makes me sound elitist, but it's the honest truth.
That doesn't make you sound elitist dude, it makes you sound informed. World of difference.
"Feast our eyes on lower things
When suffering is craving the light"

- WILLOW, "Symptom Of Life"

March North
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by March North » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:58 pm

||||||||||||||||||||||||| wrote:
March North wrote:

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. If you pick up a TB1000S and a plug it into a Hiwatt and crank the shit out of it, you will have a tone that is nearly identical to Duane Denison's. Same thing with the bass, plug a Jazz bass (any single coil bass really) into a TS50B or a Rusty Box and there is there is the Sims bass tone.

Also, and I'm not trying to be a dick, there really isn't a comparison between Vaccarros / Kramers and Travis Beans. They share some very basic similarities but the Beans are absolutely better in every regard. I know that makes me sound elitist, but it's the honest truth.
Respectful disagreement noted... my point was more that there's so much talk of tone that sometimes it seems that the players influence is sidelined... Duane has changed guitars several times but his style dominates any of the more subtle changes in tone.

Guitars aside, if you play Pastoral on any half decent guitar bridge pick up with some overdrive and reverb, you're still going to play an absolutely gorgeous riff. You don't need a Travis Bean and a Hiwatt for that.

From the other angle, you can get the Duane rig and play "normal" chords and you'll never get anywhere near his style.

Tone gives you something to work with but it's what you do with it that counts.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ||||||||||||||||||||||||| » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:40 pm

March North wrote:
March North wrote:

Respectful disagreement noted... my point was more that there's so much talk of tone that sometimes it seems that the players influence is sidelined... Duane has changed guitars several times but his style dominates any of the more subtle changes in tone.

Guitars aside, if you play Pastoral on any half decent guitar bridge pick up with some overdrive and reverb, you're still going to play an absolutely gorgeous riff. You don't need a Travis Bean and a Hiwatt for that.

From the other angle, you can get the Duane rig and play "normal" chords and you'll never get anywhere near his style.

Yeah, I was referring only to the "tone". The Jesus Lizard didn't have a crazy set up, pretty straightforward and easy. Good luck putting together another band like that though.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ||||||||||||||||||||||||| » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:41 pm

March North wrote:
March North wrote:

Yeah, I was referring only to the "tone". The Jesus Lizard didn't have a crazy set up, pretty straightforward and easy. Good luck putting together another band like that though.

null.fuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by null.fuzz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:48 pm

||||||||||||||||||||||||| wrote:Also, and I'm not trying to be a dick, there really isn't a comparison between Vaccarros / Kramers and Travis Beans. They share some very basic similarities but the Beans are absolutely better in every regard. I know that makes me sound elitist, but it's the honest truth.
Yeah, I have a vaccaro - it's cool, but not capable of travis bean sounds. Beans have significantly more aluminum.
So I pretend there aren't ten strings tied to all ten of my fingers.

estranged
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by estranged » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:53 pm

*thread resurrection*

my TB1000S weighs 9 pounds on the nose.

To me, that's not heavy.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:27 pm

I know no one asked...but this cracks me up.

Eastwood has a Garcia TB tribute...that is faithful to the original*

*this model ships with a bolt on maple neck, not an aluminum neck*

https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/eastwood-etb500
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

estranged
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by estranged » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:47 pm

nooooo!
that thing is so wrong on so many levels :fp:

PS, i'm not a big fan of the Greatfull Ded.....
Last edited by estranged on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:00 am

estranged wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:47 pm
PS, i'm not a fan of the Greatfull Ded.....
I feel like the Grateful Dead are a lot more annoying if you live in America. From a UK perspective and growing up after they were a thing I'm like... American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, Anthem of The Sun, this is a terrific band. I guess they have come to culturally epitomise a certain type of dreary hippie who is too enthusiastic about 28 minute live versions or something?

estranged
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by estranged » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:27 am

to me, after Anthem of the Sun and Axomoxa they got less experimental and into slow hippie daze dreg of folk crap

live shows continue d to be Ok until 77 or so, then they got played out.

I guess i've had my Phil! :fp:

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:48 pm

estranged wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:53 pm
*thread resurrection*

my TB1000S weighs 9 pounds on the nose.

To me, that's not heavy.
All these years later and I've still never weighed mine. What year is yours? Koa?

My '79 Standard is Magnolia.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

estranged
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by estranged » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:18 am

I think mine is a 2005?? It's #5
my #005 is green Imron, so no clue on the wood underneath - same color as one Kevin made for Duane Dennison. Here it is:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGaFemSJ67C ... _copy_link

and here is the DD signature:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJj80QtHaHc ... _copy_link