CARVIN

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

CARVIN

Post by Stereordinary » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:32 pm

So, I've been investigating Carvin guitars lately.  More as a business-model than a personal investment, but I was just wondering if anyone around here has any thoughts, crtiques or anecdotes about Carvin guitars or Carvin equipment.  Anything Carvin-related at all really.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: CARVIN

Post by fullerplast » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:39 pm

I only know that they've been around a LONG time. A reference book I have has them in business as early as the 50s.

I remember my older brother having their catalogs in the 60s, full of nice-looking Gibson and Fender type guitars with their own twists.
Q. Are we not men?

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:44 pm

It's funny...  I've seen their catalogs for years and years and years but see sooo little Carvin gear floating around I always wondered how they stayed in business.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:45 pm

I'm in the same boat as Jay, I guess.  And yeah, they've actually been around since 1946!  Same as Fender!

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:20 pm

Dang... '46! Longer than I thought.

I rarely see Carvin gear either. I think I saw a guitar in a pawn shop once in Atlanta, and maybe an amp or two over the years. And occasionally I've seen them on eBay, but only accidentally. I've never searched for them though...
Q. Are we not men?

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:43 pm

Doesn't Steve Vai use Carvin amps?
I think you can only buy Carvin guitars direct from them - no dealers.
They must have some kind of customer base, since they are still in business, I think. Anyone who could stay in business and compete with Fender and Gibson must make something good, especially if their guitars are expensive.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:34 am

According to their catalog (I've been on their mailing list for years) they're the world's #1 factory-direct music store.  They sell everything you'd find at music shops besides drums.  It's just that you can never find anybody who's actually played one!  ;D

El Podo

Post by El Podo » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:03 am

I've owned two Carvin guitars and a Carvin bass amp, and the quality of all three was outstanding.  Really amazing value.  Cutting out the retail middle man enables Carvin to offer incredible deals straight to the customer.  Plus the customization options on guitars & basses is terrific.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:27 am

El Podo wrote: Cutting out the retail middle man enables Carvin to offer incredible deals straight to the customer.
Our efficient and courteous staff is waiting for your call.  ;) :P

El Podo

Post by El Podo » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:30 pm

idiotbear wrote:
El Podo wrote: Cutting out the retail middle man enables Carvin to offer incredible deals straight to the customer.
Our efficient and courteous staff is waiting for your call.  ;) :P
Yeah, yeah, I realize that my post sounds like I work for Carvin.  But not bad off the cuff, eh?
I brew beer for a living, what the heck do I know about selling guitars?  :D
But Carvin does good work.  Too bad I'm a Fender guy at heart.

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:26 pm

The guitarist in my last band was a Carvin devotee for close to 10 years.  Of the three he owned, one was nice, but in total honesty?  The other two were pure crap.  I kid you not.  Sterile, crap tone (could have been the pickups?) and overall "stiff" feeling guitars.  We actually talked him into trying other guitars, and he ended up buying a great playing MIM Strat, a PRS CE and a USA G&L ASAT.  He got completely screwed when he tried to sell the Carvins - there simply is no resale on those. 

Not trying to come across as totally negative, because the set-neck one he had was okay, but we all cringed anytime he'd show up at a gig with either of the other ones.  This guy is a professional guitarist (read:  he makes his living in a high-paying wedding band gig, teaching and doing session work) - he no longer owns the Carvins.

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:11 am

Carvin is more popular amongst bassists than guitarists I think, but people disagree about their quality. That's what I think were people's thoughts on them on talkbass.com anyway... it was a few years ago.
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:55 am

cmatthes:
The other two were pure crap.  I kid you not.  Sterile, crap tone (could have been the pickups?) and overall "stiff" feeling guitars.
I wonder sometimes if it is just the way the guitar is set up or comes out, especially if they are handmade.
I have played strats that sound like crap in some amps and great in others, some that sound great even when in a crap amp, and some that no matter what you plug into sounds dead and lifeless.
I have also had the same experience with les pauls, sg's, just about everything.
For some reason, some guitars seem to really sound better than other examples of the same make and model.

Which could be a reason for not buying guitars online, without having played them.

I think the consistency in craftsmanship nowadays is better due to using lasers to cut fret slots, etc, but still within the same model, you get variation in feel and sound.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

serial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by serial » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:40 pm

Wow Bro, you musta seen my post on the Gear Page  :D 
Personally, I detest Carvins. Well, I'll clarify that by saying I detest every single one I've seen, heard or played.  I played in two bands with guys who had Carvin guitars and between the two guys and their three guitars, they were possibly the worst feeling and sounding USA guitars I've ever picked up.  The pickups (those 22 pole POSs) were absoutely horrific.  I had the same cringing feeling every time either guy would plug in.  I was playing bass in both bands (although I'm a guitarist first and foremost) and any time I had to show them how a particular guitar part would go I'd have to deal with those. One guy had a Carvin 1/2 stack which was an ok amp, nothing spectacular, but it wasn't bad.  He also had a complete Carvin PA.  Fine for small gigs, but I think that Carvin stays/stayed in business by pushing the "you can get whatever you want from us" angle. 

Honestly, their prices for a totally custom guitar aren't as inexpensive as you'd think, particularly considering the zero resale factor.  I think that's another reason why you never see any for sale.  No one wants to sell them for what they go for. 

I've heard good things about their higher end guitars, but I've never played one (the Holdsworth, etc).  My experience (ones I've played over the past 25 years-mostly bolt ons, one or two set necks) was not good. 
Destiny's in her evening gown; you're always running late.
You tell her she looks wonderful but she'll just have to wait.

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:55 pm

Missed the post there!  I'll have to check it out.

Actually, I have played a Carvin bass that was exceptional, but just not my cup of tea.  I really have TRIED to like them, but there are way too many things I just can't get over about them.  Purely a personal observation over 20 years of trying them out here and there along the way.  I wanted to try out the V220 back in the mid 80s -  I just remember it being heavy and not digging the Kahler, but it seemed to be pretty well made.  Again, there is just way too much other stuff out there that I dig - they didn't do it for me.