Telecasters

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Telecasters

Post by Aug » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:02 am

Hag I's are the bee's knees!

did it look like this?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:06 am

Yeah man - exactly like that!  (except for the logo, some didn't have it... I think it's an early thing.)

That's even pretty close to the color I painted it after I fixed the lower horn. I used a beige vinyl on the back, and hat to heat it up with a gun to get it to mold into the curves. I used 3M upholstery and trim glue to hold it on. I'd have to do just a little bit at a time and let it dry before I did anymore, because it had to be heated, stretched, and pulled very hard.

Picture that with two chrome Tele neck pickups, a tuna-matic, and a flat top dome knob and that's it.

I've liked these ever since my Jr High bandmate showed up with a black one his aunt bought for him. I've had two more besides the junker, all three were the gray-lavender color.
Q. Are we not men?

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:11 am

fullerplast wrote: (except for the logo, some didn't have it... I think it's an early thing.)
from the beginning, the guitars made for the foreign market were called Kent or Goya, so they didn´t have the Hagstöm logo. maybe you had one of those..?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:24 am

Mine had the Hagstrom I decal on the head, but not the plastic applique on the body. There's alot of them over here like that. I've heard them referred to as "kents" quite a bit also, but I never saw one that actually said that on it. I've also seen Hags with Goya on them, but they were the sparkly single cut.

I've seen a version of the Hag I with a wood body that said Futurama on it. I think it was a Hag export to the UK, and found it's way over here. Pretty cool!

:)
Q. Are we not men?

Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Aug » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:42 am

Well, that particular Hagstrom is currently sitting at guitar center hollywood...for those of you who live in the area... :)

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:54 am

Aug wrote: Well, that particular Hagstrom is currently sitting at guitar center hollywood...for those of you who live in the area... :)
Sweet! So it's probably only about $1495 right?

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:55 am

fullerplast wrote: Mine had the Hagstrom I decal on the head, but not the plastic applique on the body. There's alot of them over here like that. I've heard them referred to as "kents" quite a bit also, but I never saw one that actually said that on it. I've also seen Hags with Goya on them, but they were the sparkly single cut.

I've seen a version of the Hag I with a wood body that said Futurama on it. I think it was a Hag export to the UK, and found it's way over here. Pretty cool!

:)
yeah, there were a lot of strange things going on at hagström in the 60s/70s. i was going to write an essay on the subject a few years ago, and gathered lots and lots of information, but i saved it all on a floppy disk that later dissapeared ::)

well enough about that, hows about them telecasters, eh?

Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Aug » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:57 am

Jay wrote:
Aug wrote: Well, that particular Hagstrom is currently sitting at guitar center hollywood...for those of you who live in the area... :)
Sweet! So it's probably only about $1495 right?
You *would* ask, wouldn't you?  There were so many guitars, I quit looking at the price tags, as I found it quite depressing...

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:01 am

Which is exactly why I just don't bother going in there very often.  In fact it's why I don't bother venturing up to Sunset more often in general.

Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Aug » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:08 am

Well, I had to...I took two other members from the shortscale.org boards with me (they'd never been) and I wanted to see all the guitars John at Vintage Gear was on about...

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:05 pm

i was going to write an essay on the subject a few years ago, and gathered lots and lots of information, but i saved it all on a floppy disk that later dissapeared

:(

That's too bad. I would love to read an essay on Hags. Any way to come up with the info again someday?
Q. Are we not men?

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:49 pm

I used to hate Teles, thought they were the ugliest-looking, nastiest-sounding guitars ever.  Then I figured out how to set an amp for singlecoils and awakened to the world of twang.

Anyway, we've got a couple nice Teles in the store right now: an American Deluxe which is AWESOME (I love the middle position with the S1 switch down - I think it's both pickups in series) and one of the previously maligned MIM 72 Tele Deluxe RIs which is pretty hot as well, though I'm not a big fan of its neck.

I'd really really like to get my hands on a '69 Thinline RI but the neck (which is the same basic profile as the 72 Deluxe/Custom) has deterred me.  I may eventually build a parts or Warmoth replica with the thinline body and a neck with the big 70s Strat headstock - I think that'd look awesome.  Have to round out the bottom of the neck pocket, though.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:08 pm

Something like this:

Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:01 am

I'm refinning my 72 custom in white, putting a GFS filtertron copy in the neck and toying with the idea of putting a Bigsby on. Don't want to come over too FDP about it though, but I am concerned that the Bibsby might kill the twang.

Naturality
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Naturality » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:03 am

I don't think it would, I reckon you could have a really exaggerated twang using the tremolo though