Telecasters

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Telecasters

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:07 am

Teles are usually pretty popular with the offset crowd. I have a MIM thinline, but hope to get myself a nice solid-body Tele one day. My local store had a couple of nice ones recently, now both sold - a CS Nocaster and a CS '63 reissue that was LPB with white binding around the body - absolutely stunning-looking.

Zhivago, how's that inca silver Tele going that Mr. Tuohy is doing for you? He's had my '62 JM for about a month now and still not emailed me to tell me what his first impressions of it are, so I guess he must be damn busy.

There was an inca silver GVCG Tele sold down south on TGP recently .. amazing-looking guitar.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Telecasters

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:15 am

the last time I saw the tele was a few months back...it was pretty much done, but since I was going freelance, I told him to take his time on the remaining work...so I dunno if it is ready yet or not.

unfortunately, once I buy it, I'll have to sell it though, things have changed and I can't afford to keep it :(

shame really, as it looked and felt amazing when I held it a while back.
Resident Spartan.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:32 am

I'll be selling my '72 in the near future. It's original finish (natural), and all correct parts. The pickguard, string ferrules, and pots aren't original to this particular guitar, but are vintage and from the same era. It's been refretted, and when that was done the board and back of the neck were stripped of the poly. I refinished it in thin nitro, just to seal up the wood. The headstock is still original finish front and back, and the logo is original. I also have the original case. I could put it back together in a day, I was thinking maybe today (if I don;t get involved in something else within the next half hour or so. (I wanted to go out somewhere with Nida (my wife) today, but my ears are still bothering me from that massive head cold I got a week ago).

Anyway... once it's assembled, I planned to put a post in the FS section. The cool thing is that it's early '72 and has the notch in the body and single tree, so it's more in common with the late 60s Tele than the typical 70s model. The neck also has the Model/Month/Year/Width stamp... instead of that funky green stamp with all the digits. Probably oneof the last.
Q. Are we not men?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:56 am

zhivago wrote: once I buy it, I'll have to sell it though

fullerplast wrote: I'll be selling my '72 in the near future.

Stop it you guys, I'm broke!

:)

[edit] Wait .. zhivago I thought you were selling the '64 so you could keep the '61 and the Tele .. you have had to make some hard choices in the last few months my friend. I feel your pain.

:(
Last edited by mezcalhead on Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:00 am

Ha Ha...  :D

I'm working on mine right now... pics coming later.
Q. Are we not men?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:04 am

Aw man, that '72 sounds sooooooo sweet!

But hell, I don't need any more Teles.

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:10 am

mezcalhead wrote:

[edit] Wait .. zhivago I thought you were selling the '64 so you could keep the '61 and the Tele .. you have had to make some hard choices in the last few months my friend. I feel your pain.

:(
yeah, it's been real hard gear-wise...this time last year I had so much gear...loads of zvex pedals, and a nano, two vintage JMs, more pedals, etc etc

now I'm down to one electric, one acoustic and an amp...and a couple of pedals

I still need to sell the musicmaster bass amp I have and that US reissue JM case....

ah well, hopefuly I'll have stability in my work soon...it's already getting better, but because I've been essentialy with no work since April (and I've had work only for the past 2 months - and still haven't been paid for it!!!) I had to dip into my housing fund...so I'll have to put the money back there too before thinking of treating myself on anything.

it sucks, but I was so unhappy at my old job...all the gear in the world just wasn't making me happy :(
Resident Spartan.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:35 am

Yeah .. I have a plan to change my line of work sometime in the next few years. I'm trying to stabilize both my finances and my gear before then though.

You're quite right to say that gear doesn't compensate for being miserable at work, or for any other reason. Part of my problem recently is that I spend so much time at work that I don't get to really play enough with the stuff I have .. buying something new is kinda like a quick fix that gives you the feeling you're doing something musical, when you're not really. I reckon if I had time to play in a band or at least record all these songs I've written then I'd just stop buying stuff .. and probably sell half of what I've got. I've slowed down a lot in the last few months though .. and there isn't anything I really regret buying, so it's cool.

Anyway, back to the Teles. Did anyone see this thread on shortscale.org about the pink Tele with bigsby? Man that thing is the business! If it was sonic blue it would be just perfect.

Maggie, that's a sweet collection. Is that a MIM thinline? I really like mine .. a lot of guitar for the money. A few months ago I put heavy strings on it without adjusting the action, thus it is now my slide guitar.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:54 am

I have either a '72 or '73 tele (the serial number's 375207, i've had several people say different years - but I haven't taken the neck off it yet) that I've had since my grandfather gave it to me on my 18th birthday (!). He owned it from new, gigged it lots, and it's 100% original apart from one replaced tone knob. The electrics need a bit of an overhaul and it needs a re-fret but I love it. I'll post some pics later.

Unfortunately I don't have the case anymore (it was doing more harm than good to the guitar, so we binned it) but I'd love to get a period case for it.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:26 am

mezcalhead wrote: Maggie, that's a sweet collection. Is that a MIM thinline? I really like mine .. a lot of guitar for the money. A few months ago I put heavy strings on it without adjusting the action, thus it is now my slide guitar.
Thanks!  I love 'em all!

The thinline is an '86 MIJ with new electronics and a pair of Lollar pickups.  The neck is unusual, in that it has a separate maple fretboard and thusly, no skunk stripe in back. It is oh-so-sweet.

The Esquire is a 2006 MIM 50s Classic with a new pickguard.  It too is a very, very sweet instrument.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:41 pm

I finished two of them today! Here's the 72:

And here's the '76:

Q. Are we not men?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:46 pm

The '72 above is all original (as described in a previous post).

The '76 is original finish, body, neck, jack, jack cup, tuners, and strap buttons. The electronics, pickups, pickguard, knobs, and bridge are all Fender AVRI. All the reissue parts are nearly new.

I need to pick up a few sets of strings and these are going on the bay (unless someone here wants to talk). I have alot more pics of the guts and specific parts. Not to turn this into a For Sale ad... I realize we have a section for that but we were talking Telecasters here.

:)
Last edited by fullerplast on Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:06 pm

wow! :o  :-*

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:49 am

here´s a picture of my only non-offset guitar; it´s a squier telecaster with some modifications (sorry about the bad quality of the pic)

this guitar has been modified over and over again, but in it´s current state it has the stock pickups wired in series (the neck pickup is under the pickguard), straight to the jack. i made the bakelite pickguard myself.
and if anyone´s wondering about the "arm wear", it´s not intentional relicing, it just the result of me smashing the guitar...
Last edited by mynameisjonas on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:57 am

You people are a bunch of heretics.

Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.