The I hate my Telecaster Thread

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The I hate my Telecaster Thread

Post by pullover » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:57 am

So Hate is a pretty strong word, but I never play my tele. I replaced all the electronics and the bridge on it, so it sounds great and plays wonderfully. I just can't get used to the feel. I need the contoured back. Everytime I play it I think, "why didn't I just buy a Jaguar?" Anyone else not like telecasters.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Re: The I hate my Telecaster Thread

Post by Sauerkraut » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:06 am

pullover wrote: So Hate is a pretty strong word, but I never play my tele. I replaced all the electronics and the bridge on it, so it sounds great and plays wonderfully. I just can't get used to the feel. I need the contoured back. Everytime I play it I think, "why didn't I just buy a Jaguar?" Anyone else not like telecasters.
try getting Novaks again and see if you still hate it, I already liked it before it had Novaks though. It's non-contouredness looks great and I don't think it's that uncomfortable, if comfort is really that important to you just buy a cat. As you said, it plays wonderfully and sounds great and that's far more important.

here's a picture of a beautiful Tele just to anger you:

;)
Last edited by Sauerkraut on Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:13 am

Sorry .. I started the other thread about loving Teles, so I can't back down now.

:)

Although if you really don't like it now even with the right upgrades, it probably won't grow on you .. why not sell it and get a Jag?
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:20 am

I do own a tele, but for what ever reason it is the least played and least used on the recording I have done.
As pullover  said, it is not a very comfortable guitar to play when sitting on a couch or even sitting on a piano stool (while recording).  The contours of the offsets (and the strats just are streets ahead of the tele)  Even the ric, LP or E137 feel easier to play.

And if I want the ice-pick in the eye sound, which was a traditional tele forte, we just go for the AV jaguar  (the vintage jag is a little more mellow)

I'll never sell the tele, but I am sad that circumstances have meant it doesn't get played that much  :(
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:28 am

mezcalhead wrote:
Although if you really don't like it now even with the right upgrades, it probably won't grow on you .. why not sell it and get a Jag?
That's what I was thinking, I might contour the back and see how I like it first. I think one of the main reasons that I have such low feelings for it is because I had a sweet SG with p-90's in it that I loved. When I caught the Tele bug I sold the SG for it.

Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:16 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
if comfort is really that important to you just buy a cat.
;D ;D ;D
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:59 pm

Teles have grown on me.  When I first started playing guitar I hated them.  Thought they were the ugliest guitars ever.  I like them now, but I don't think I'll ever own one.  I can't stand that much treble and the whole "no fifth fret harmonic on the neck pickup" thing just makes me back away further.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:41 am

i like both the look and sound of teles, but i can´t get past the sharp edges. before i got my jazzmasters two telecasters were my main guitars for a short while, and at the end of every gig my right foreram was so sore from rubbing against the edge that i could hardly go on playing.

maybe that´s what caused me to smash one of them, and sell the other... :-\

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:28 am

mynameisjonas wrote: at the end of every gig my right foreram was so sore from rubbing against the edge that i could hardly go on playing.
this happens to me too - any gigs I've done with my tele have resulted in mad rashes and cuts on my forearm from rubbing against the edge of it!

i still love my tele though...
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:05 am

stereordinary wrote: I can't stand that much treble and the whole "no fifth fret harmonic on the neck pickup" thing just makes me back away further.
Eh? My tele does - what is this lack of harmonic of which you speak? Are you sure you haven't got a capo on? ;)

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:34 pm

Yeah, my friend's Highway 1 Tele can't make a harmonic on the fifth fret when you're on the neck pickup.  It just slips right past, no sound at all except some muted finger movement.  I heard all Teles were like that.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:15 pm

None of mine are.

And my Esquire certainly ain't that way!  ;)

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:40 am

Is that a MIM? It's lovely.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:08 am

benecol wrote: Is that a MIM? It's lovely.
Yep, it's a 50's Classic Esquire, MIM.  I put a blackguard on it, 'cause it looks even more badass that way.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:59 pm

that esquire's great :D

I've had no problems with missing harmonics, but I think if there were any explanation it would be that the tele pickup sits right underneath another harmonic spot - this might mean that playing the 5th fret harmonic results in the string acting like a standing wave at this point, i.e. not moving. Therefore the neck pickup wouldn't pick up any movement.

maybe I'm talking complete rubbish though - i've had a couple of glasses of wine, and I'm trying to remember Acoustics lectures from 2 years ago  ???
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"