Did you guys buy a guitar as a present to yourself when you hit 30?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: Did you guys buy a guitar as a present to yourself when you hit 30?

Post by Maggieo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:39 am

zhivago wrote:
Maggieo wrote: When I was 30 I was married and not even allowed to play guitar, let alone buy a new one.

I'm divorced now and have a kick-ass collection.  Take it for what you will.
oh man...I'll hopefuly buy all my stuff before getting married :(
Marry a guitar player, or a fan.  My SO is a big fan of my work and has bought me a bunch of the guitars in my collection.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:47 am

hehehe!

I like your style!!!!

8)
Resident Spartan.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:01 am

zhivago wrote: hehehe!

I like your style!!!!

8)
Thank you, sir!  I like it too!  :D
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

matthew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by matthew » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:07 pm

My guitar collection stayed static from the age of 23 until just before I turned 34, when I realised I could afford a Jazzmaster, and promptly bought one. I expected more resistance from my partner, but she couldn't wait to see it.

(I did manage to get mentioned on national radio on my 30th by providing the word of the day though...)

Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Aug » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:12 pm

matthew wrote: My guitar collection stayed static from the age of 23 until just before I turned 34, when I realised I could afford a Jazzmaster, and promptly bought one. I expected more resistance from my partner, but she couldn't wait to see it.

(I did manage to get mentioned on national radio on my 30th by providing the word of the day though...)
Who in their right mind would refuse someone else a Jazzmaster?  That's like denying someone air to breathe... :o

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:21 pm

Aug wrote: Who in their right mind would refuse someone else a Jazzmaster?  That's like denying someone air to breathe... :o
Take my wife, please...  ::)

Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Aug » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:44 pm

idiotbear wrote:
Aug wrote: Who in their right mind would refuse someone else a Jazzmaster?  That's like denying someone air to breathe... :o
Take my wife, please...  ::)
No way, d00der...she's *your* burden, not mine! hahahahaha

I got rid of mine 8 years ago.  :D

matthew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by matthew » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:34 pm

And to top it off, she didn't even bat an eyelid four months later when I wanted to spend even more money and buy half a XII!

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:11 pm

OK.. a couple of points.... seriously guys, turning 30 ain't no big deal  .. in fact it's a little  "... ho hum ..",  likewise turning 40 for me was sort of    " oh, I turned forty today ....  where did I put my other sock".

Life is totally different to 20, 30, 50 years ago.....  my father  (who is 70) is still saying to me (serously) "when are you going to grow up"...  he doesn't understand why suddenly, from having nothing 5 years ago, I now have 19 guitars and basses... when he was 40 life was already planned out for him , he knew what he was having for dinner a week ahead, he was already planning retirement.  Me at 44?, all I am planning is where my next jaguar is coming from ?

So these big birthdates or 30, 40 maybe even 50, don't mean that much. We are no longer "over the hill" at 40  (even though you youngens may think so.) 

Now... if you need an excuse to by a guitar, then go for it  ...  but I would have thought that the mere fact that you have GAS is sufficient  reason to consider getting the guitar....  as I have always said, the guitar that was a little expensive today, will be considered a bargain in 5 years and in 15 years you won't even remember how much you paid for it... :)

[girl friends of mine over the years seemed to have little problem purchasing expensive shoes even  for no apparant reason, even though it wasn't a special occasion  ;)]
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Man, i barely made it through twenty, regardless of guitar status.

I'm definetly going to need a guitar that's older than me when i turn 30.  When i turn 40 though, I'll have one kid out of the house!  YEAH!  AMP-DAY!
I prefer their older stuff.

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:27 am

When I stopped smoking, I got a little bit, ahem, portly. I started cycling a lot, and when I'd lost two stone, bought myself a jaguar as a reward. As a result of my lower weight (or maybe my jaguar-owning status, who knows) my fertility went up, and my wife got pregnant. So when my bike broke, and with a baby on the way,  I had to sell the jag to buy a new bike and a cheaper guit. Still...

Go for it, buy yourself something nice.

Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Aug » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:27 am

benecol wrote: When I stopped smoking, I got a little bit, ahem, portly. I started cycling a lot, and when I'd lost two stone, bought myself a jaguar as a reward. As a result of my lower weight (or maybe my jaguar-owning status, who knows) my fertility went up, and my wife got pregnant. So when my bike broke, and with a baby on the way,  I had to sell the jag to buy a new bike and a cheaper guit. Still...

that's a sad story...

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:08 am

Aug wrote:
benecol wrote: When I stopped smoking, I got a little bit, ahem, portly. I started cycling a lot, and when I'd lost two stone, bought myself a jaguar as a reward. As a result of my lower weight (or maybe my jaguar-owning status, who knows) my fertility went up, and my wife got pregnant. So when my bike broke, and with a baby on the way,  I had to sell the jag to buy a new bike and a cheaper guit. Still...

that's a sad story...
It's not that sad - babies are cool. And before you know it, you're starting to say "we need a 22.5" scale guitar in the house for our son/daughter". Perfectly legit.  :P
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:26 am

mjet260 wrote:
Aug wrote:

that's a sad story...
It's not that sad - babies are cool. And before you know it, you're starting to say "we need a 22.5" scale guitar in the house for our son/daughter". Perfectly legit.  :P
It's not meant to read that way - we were trying for a baby! He's ace! I was just stood in a bikeshop with a very broken bike, thinking that 1) I needed to re-prioritise for a few years. 2) I needed at least £250 for a bike 3) I had a £600 guitar 4) I could ride a £250 bike better than I could play a £600 guitar.

I'm very happy with my family, my bike and my (sadly not particularly offset) guitar. I just might have to wait 8 years 'til 40 for that guitar treat...

serial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by serial » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:58 am

Yes.  And thirty and one month, and thirty and three months and two weeks, and so on...

I've always done  a lot of horse trading, buying and selling, but since having my first child, my guitars have mulitiplied as well.  Fortunately, I stopped at two kids, but from starting out with two or three guitars a decade ago, I probably have four dozen at this point.  Most of the "multiplying" was being into stuff ahead of the curve and doing well when I got rid of something.  While I missed the boat on LPJrs and most offsets, I did really well with Hamer stuff in particular and often traded or sold one and got two or three in the door without any cash outlay.  Of course, now I've got a bunch of stuff with (ugh) Floyd Roses that are dust collectors... ;)
Destiny's in her evening gown; you're always running late.
You tell her she looks wonderful but she'll just have to wait.