Univox Hi Flier phase III - tell me everything!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Univox Hi Flier phase III - tell me everything!

Post by sumlin » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:27 am

Snowdogg wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:22 pm
Does anyone know which tremolo arm definitively fits a Phase III
The original ones only. Seriously - there is a repro seller on Ebay (you'll find them listed as Epiphone ET or Univox arms) and they will do the job but the thread seems to be cut from a different starting point so the 'just right' tightness point leaves the arm in a funny position whereas the originals leave it perfectly at hand.

I've never found an off-the-shelf common trem arm that has the same thread though, and even if it did it seems the angle of the arm plays a big part in how they work (like an offset arm vs a strat arm).

WillyP
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WillyP » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:42 am

I have a Phase 2, its an excellent guitar. Its light but solid feeling, and it sounds spectacular. I was surprised how good it sounded when I first got it actually. The wood is really nice too, especially the rosewood fretboard.

Dee_thirteen
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dee_thirteen » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:24 am

I'm curious... what are the actual neck specs in Phase 3 ? Well...all 4 actually.
Nut width & neck thickness on thinnest spot. (measured from flat fretboard, not on top of fretwire like some people tend to do :squint: )

Million euro question: Which Phase has the thinnest neck?

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:26 am

mynameisjonas wrote:
Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:03 pm
Lately I've been kinda obsessed with getting a phase III Hi Flier. I know from people who use them that they can sound awesome, but I've never actually played one myself.
So I'm curious about things like the neck profile and any hardware upgrades that migh be needed. Anything in particular to look out for when buying? (They never pop up around here, so I'll most likely buy on eBay.)

I'd love to find one in white or black.
Had one identical to that one and it was really cool looking, weighed nothing, but the neck was insanely thin and I wasn’t able to find a lot of sounds I cared too much for. I have a weird thing where I get really into something with expectations that aren’t informed by any concrete experience or knowledge tho so it’s my fault and obviously YMMV

I actually suggested one to the guy asking about Mosrites but I’d set a lead ceiling on how much you will dish out, say $500/550 for something clean with a case and the arm or whatever. The market is hilarious right now and people are listing these for like $1200-1400 but I’d have a significantly hard time trying to justify spending even half that so again, YMMV

JJson
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JJson » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:08 am

Hey!
I got a question, are the original Univox humbuckers louder than for example PAF humbuckers? And if so how much louder volume wise?