Univox Hi Flier phase III - tell me everything!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Univox Hi Flier phase III - tell me everything!

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:58 am

when i got my old univox hi-flyer it was REALLY minty clean, like outta a time machine.

...along the way, i did some things with/to the pickups:

in the end it looked like this:

the sticker's covering up a hole where the trem arm went thru, when a 4x12 cab "fell" on it... :wtf: :fp:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sumlin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:39 pm

Pickups are still being developed (my friend hit on a good wide ranger design so ran with that first) but here's a new addition:

fndrblndr
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by fndrblndr » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:14 am

Great Thread...

Anyone have a Phase 3 truss rod cover they are willing to unload? Or maybe you could cut replacement?

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sumlin » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:38 am

Dang, I just gave my spare away!

funeralzilla
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by funeralzilla » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:36 am

sumlin wrote:Pickups are still being developed (my friend hit on a good wide ranger design so ran with that first) but here's a new addition:
I was googling around about these Univox humbuckers and found this thread, since I acquired one of them that's sitting in my parts box (the beige version). I've always wanted to know what it sounds like but I don't have a guitar to install it in. The DC resistance is similar to a PAF style pickup, does it sound anything like that? How might you compare it to more ubiquitous pickups?

In any event I'll be watching this thread for updates!

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sumlin » Sat May 02, 2015 7:37 am

funeralzilla wrote:
sumlin wrote:Pickups are still being developed (my friend hit on a good wide ranger design so ran with that first) but here's a new addition:
I was googling around about these Univox humbuckers and found this thread, since I acquired one of them that's sitting in my parts box (the beige version). I've always wanted to know what it sounds like but I don't have a guitar to install it in. The DC resistance is similar to a PAF style pickup, does it sound anything like that? How might you compare it to more ubiquitous pickups?

It sounds rubbish, give me it.

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sumlin » Sat May 02, 2015 7:37 am

sumlin wrote:
funeralzilla wrote:

It sounds rubbish, give me it.
In seriousness, if you want to sell it/trade it let me know.

funeralzilla
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by funeralzilla » Mon May 04, 2015 10:34 am

Haha, if I get a chance to test it out and discover it's not for me, sure!

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:13 am

I'd really like to find one of these with some Mastery stuff on it. My friend just got one and he's simply not as into this stuff on the level that we are, any of us honestly. He's bought several ~$1,000 guitars and wanted to sell them simply because they arrive in need of a setup real bad and I'm constantly having to explain to him that, no, that B&B MIJ Jazzmaster doesn't "suck" it just needs setup - like you literally can't even use the term because whoever had it before had hard tailed it with a buzz stop. or like, he got this DOPE as hell Yamaha SA-50 at my insistence because it was the same price as some dime a dozen Epiphany Dot he was looking at, and again, he never picks it up and always talks about getting rid of it for a fucking LP Junior or a Dot and I basically have to assault him with words, explaining that he hasn't even had the chance to play these guitars yet because he just sits on them and never takes them to get work done.

Super frustrating and I refuse to let that happen with this Hi Flier! It plays pretty good, but there's some buzz and the strings are stupid-light, like 8s maybe? I'm gonna put some 11s on it and see how it feels but it's gonna supremely piss me off it this one just ends up in his spare room with the others because he's a lazy fuckhead.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:43 am

The trem unit on mine is great as is, it's actually smoother and more stable than the unit on my CIJ Jazzmaster. The trouble was finding an arm that fit.
Replacing the bridge with a Mastery sounds like more work than it's worth. You can fit a TOM with roller saddles on the existing posts, which is a huge improvement over the original.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:19 am

I dunno about the bridge - does seem worse than just drilling thimble holes and a ton of people put them on less prestigious guitars (Squiers) but I dunno. I wish the trem arms were easier to find.

funeralzilla
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by funeralzilla » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:29 am

Industries wrote:
sumlin wrote:
Gonkulator wrote:
If it's a success, would your friend be making more of them?
Yep - the plan is for them to be a production item. I'll post links as things progress...
I really hate to be "that guy" who digs up an old thread, but I have to since I'm very interested in the reproduction HF pickups and haven't seen any new threads for them.
Did sumlin ever make progress on this?

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sumlin » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:38 pm

Afraid not guys - the pickup dude went under due to 'life issues' (i.e. needing to get a proper job instead of building pickups) so it just died. He did tons of research on the pickups though and am sure he'd share it if anyone else wanted to take up the job.

Tremolo - absolutely 100% the best tremolo on any guitar I own. Do no change it for anything. If you don't like it then the Hi Flier isn't for you but I guarantee any type of offset-derived trem will not improve what's already there.

Does anyone have a spare correct trem arm they want to trade for something? The guy selling them on Ebay for years disappeared now I need another one.

funeralzilla
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by funeralzilla » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:18 pm

sumlin wrote:Afraid not guys - the pickup dude went under due to 'life issues' (i.e. needing to get a proper job instead of building pickups) so it just died. He did tons of research on the pickups though and am sure he'd share it if anyone else wanted to take up the job.
Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. Would you be able to put me in contact? I'm not an expert but I've always been curious about these and would hate for his research to die out.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:32 pm

Yeah I was just spitballing considering every import offset type them like that I've ever seen is pot metal trash. obviously wanna keep it original but the lack of available them arms is super super fucking annoying. I saw where a poster replaced the collet on a yamaha with a US fender one thus totally eliminating that headache so I'm gonna see about doing that, even replacing it with a squire collet would be fine (i have like 4 of them lying around)