NGD - Univox Hi Flier

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Subgenius
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - Univox Hi Flier

Post by Subgenius » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:10 pm

That thing is pretty. I am also on the search for a Hi Flier. I had an Eastwood one briefly but it just didnt cut it.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:09 am

Subgenius wrote:That thing is pretty. I am also on the search for a Hi Flier. I had an Eastwood one briefly but it just didnt cut it.
Was it a Phase 4 or the earlier version? How was the neck profile?

thebigcheese
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by thebigcheese » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:29 pm

Nice find dude. Wish I could’ve gotten that exact model. I hate to revive this thread btw :mellow: but I recently got a phase 2 and I’m really trying to put a pair of the humbuckers in it.. 2 problems though. 1. I dont know how to get my hands on the same (or) very Identical pickup mount. The phase 3 and 4 have pickup mounts that kinda pop out of the guitar if I recall. Additionally I need a pair of the humbuckers to start with. I heard “sumlin” has a friend that makes em! Once again sorry y’all. I’ve never been active in a forum so super duper sorry if this completely against the norm. Complete bummer that these mounts and pickups rarely surface

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:39 am

I eventually managed to find a pair of Univox humbuckers for this one, but I can't find any pics of it unfortunately.
I had a saved search on eBay, and I think it took a couple of years before I found a pair at a reasonable price. The bridge pickup had been rewound using a set of PAF-style bobbins, that's why they weren't crazy money. All other pickups I found were more expensive than what I paid for the guitar itself.

Keep in mind that the phase 1/2 pickups are quite a bit longer and narrower than the phase 3/4 humbuckers, so even if you managed to find a pair of pickups and pickup mounts, they might not cover the pickup cavities, and there would be gaps between the pickup mounts and the pickguard. I've seen people make their own humbucker mounts from 1-ply pickguard material using the outline of the phase 2 pickup mount and a standard humbucker cutout. Maybe that's you best bet?

ldp54002
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ldp54002 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:00 am

Double post, sorry!
Last edited by ldp54002 on Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ldp54002
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ldp54002 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:02 am

thebigcheese wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:29 pm
Nice find dude. Wish I could’ve gotten that exact model. I hate to revive this thread btw :mellow: but I recently got a phase 2 and I’m really trying to put a pair of the humbuckers in it.. 2 problems though. 1. I dont know how to get my hands on the same (or) very Identical pickup mount. The phase 3 and 4 have pickup mounts that kinda pop out of the guitar if I recall. Additionally I need a pair of the humbuckers to start with. I heard “sumlin” has a friend that makes em! Once again sorry y’all. I’ve never been active in a forum so super duper sorry if this completely against the norm. Complete bummer that these mounts and pickups rarely surface
I had an early Phase II a few years ago and I bought a pair of these 3D-printed rings. They worked really well.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:59 am

I've had this guitar tucked away for a long time, but I recently brought it home and gave it a quick setup, and now it's my main couch guitar. The frets are super low, so I think I'm gonna have it refretted (maybe have a crack att refretting it myself), it's kinda hard to play in some parts of the neck after having gotten used to Gibsons and Epiphones over the past few years. But it sounds great, and it feels great in the hands apart from the low frets. As mentioned above, I found a pair of Univox humbuckers for it (although with a rebuilt bridge pickup), here's a pic of its current state:

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:46 am

cool! But what's your main guitar these days?

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:13 pm

I kinda go back and forth between these two, but the Wilshire has seen the most action lately. The LP jr is a fantastic rock'n'roll machine, but I get bruises on my right forearm from the sharp edges. The Wilshire is much more ergonomic thanks to its rounded edges and light weight, I can play that thing for hours.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:14 pm

That Wilshire is cool! I should get one of those.