NGD - Univox Hi Flier

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

NGD - Univox Hi Flier

Post by mynameisjonas » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:48 pm

As some of you may have seen in another thread, I bought this on eBay a couple of weeks ago:

It arrived the other day, and last night I got it up and running, using (temporarily) a pair of Gibson humbuckers I had laying around, and a Tune-O-Matic (with the big mounting holes, it's a really loose fit, but it seems to stay in place just from the string pressure):

Despite the pickups really not being my cup of tea, it sounds amazing. One thing I always hear about Hi Fliers is how light they are, but this one is about the same weight as the heavier of my two Jazzmasters. I don't mind though, the weight seems to contribute to a solid and articulate sound, with very good sustain. I was a bit worried the neck was gonna be too thin and narrow, but it's actually really comfortable. It is narrower than what I'm used to, but it's not unusually thin.
I'll be replacing the pickups and the bridge with something more permanent as soon as I get the chance, but the guitar plays really nice as is, I can't put it down. :)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: NGD - Univox Hi Flier

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:08 am

Woooo!!

this looks awesome!! Greats score!! :) 8)
Resident Spartan.

PoppaPopp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PoppaPopp » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:20 am

Noice! :-*
"...if you can't punkify a Mustang then something ain't right in the world!" (UlricvonCatalyst)

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:02 am

Looks good Jonas .... are you going to look for original pups or try something different ?
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

mothershipzeta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mothershipzeta » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:07 am

Very, very cool, I've always been on the lookout for a good mosrite style guitar but only *very* cheesy Japanese copies seem to come my way... Umm so what kind of pickups did these originally come with? I'm not really good with humbuckers, and I'm only familiar with the standard (?) Gibsons..

BTW I saw OFF! The other day here, and the guitarist had a Hi-Flyer straight to amp, and it was punk heaven..
indulj már, hé / embermlék / önmagától gyulladó fény!

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:32 am

Cool, you found one Jonas!

If you can score a set of the orig phase 4 HBs, those are really nice pickups IMO. Also any of the old HBs Matsomoku used, like from a 70s Electra SG and such. For all I know, they may be the same pickup with a chrome cover. I see the latter sell for practically nothing when they pop up.
Q. Are we not men?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:42 am

Result!! Great score, Jonas.

It cleaned up well too. :)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:49 am

mothershipzeta wrote:Very, very cool, I've always been on the lookout for a good mosrite style guitar but only *very* cheesy Japanese copies seem to come my way... Umm so what kind of pickups did these originally come with? I'm not really good with humbuckers, and I'm only familiar with the standard (?) Gibsons..

BTW I saw OFF! The other day here, and the guitarist had a Hi-Flyer straight to amp, and it was punk heaven..
The original pickups look like this:

I have no experience with them myself, but they are supposed to be a lot more clear and snappy than regular Gibson style humbuckers.
sookwinder wrote:Looks good Jonas .... are you going to look for original pups or try something different ?
I'll definitely keep an eye out for originals, but they don't seem to pop up on eBay too often. Eastwood guitars claim that their Phase 4 pickups are faithful replicas, but I haven't been able to find anyone who has compared them to the originals. I might give them a try though, since they're cheap and readily available.
Sumlin has a pickup making friend who is currently working on a dead-on replica of the Univox humbucker, but they won't be available until sometime next year.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:54 am

awesome.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Lovely! Great score! :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sumlin » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:14 am

Hold fire and the replica humbuckers are coming in the new year...

PsychoSurfer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PsychoSurfer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:35 am

Awesome!!! Love anything Mosrite related... these were great copies, beautiful!

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:31 pm

Update! I was getting more and more curious about those Eastwood Phase 4 pickups, and since they're quite cheap I decided to give them a try:

I'm very pleased with the results. I can't say anything about how close they are to the originals, but the guitar sounds really good now, and they look the part (more or less). The pickups remind me a little bit of the GFS Liverpool Retrotrons. Not quite Filtertron-ish, it's definitely a standard PAF-type HB sound, but with more high end clarity and mellower upper mids.

mothershipzeta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mothershipzeta » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:41 am

Still beautiful! :-*
indulj már, hé / embermlék / önmagától gyulladó fény!

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:03 am

Latest pickup update:
Univox Hi Flier by Paperfist, on Flickr
Univox Hi Flier by Paperfist, on Flickr

For those of you who haven't followed the other thread, these are GFS gold foil pickups (the humbucker sized, single coil, ferrite magnet version) that I've customized.