Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Post Reply
User avatar
SuperAxe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:46 am
Contact:

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by SuperAxe » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:01 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:48 am
Eastwood dropped their McGeoch tribute model recently and the demos are starting to go up. All of 'em covering Banshees and Magazine riffs. I have to say, it does me a little proud to see him work getting noticed even if it's for an unsanctioned tribute model. Also holy hell, but this take on "Shot by Both Sides" by RJ Ronquillo heckin' ROCKS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsimwp2rpGc
An Eastwood copy of a Yamaha, interesting that is...

User avatar
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by timtam » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:54 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:48 am
Eastwood dropped their McGeoch tribute model recently and the demos are starting to go up. All of 'em covering Banshees and Magazine riffs. I have to say, it does me a little proud to see him work getting noticed even if it's for an unsanctioned tribute model. Also holy hell, but this take on "Shot by Both Sides" by RJ Ronquillo heckin' ROCKS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsimwp2rpGc
Love McGeoch. Ronquillo's noodling over possibly the greatest post punk classic, without playing the killer solo, doesn't sit well with me. It's not that hard. Noko and Robin Simon both managed to render the original closely.
The original ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu3R-H5on1s

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25895
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:45 am

timtam wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:54 pm
stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:48 am
Eastwood dropped their McGeoch tribute model recently and the demos are starting to go up. All of 'em covering Banshees and Magazine riffs. I have to say, it does me a little proud to see him work getting noticed even if it's for an unsanctioned tribute model. Also holy hell, but this take on "Shot by Both Sides" by RJ Ronquillo heckin' ROCKS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsimwp2rpGc
Love McGeoch. Ronquillo's noodling over possibly the greatest post punk classic, without playing the killer solo, doesn't sit well with me. It's not that hard. Noko and Robin Simon both managed to render the original closely.
The original ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu3R-H5on1s
Yeah I appreciate Steve posting it and I guess he sees it differently but couldn't hack that at all, it was too 'insert hairy handed rawk playing here' for me and lacking McGeochs mercurial nature . I'd struggle to call it a cover too, it's just yer typical geetar demo dude thing IMO.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

User avatar
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 22744
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig
Contact:

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:11 am

The best 3 and a half minutes of live Banshees footage I know of. Probably my favourite track of theirs (it's just as good live as it is on record).

Each band member has stand alone moments of brilliance (like Budgie's amazing tom rolls) but McGeoch's guitar parts are absolutely genius. Though played fast it doesn't even seem that tricky, but it's intense!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

User avatar
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3848
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 am
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Contact:

Re: Yamaha SG(2000,1000,etc.) Appreciation Thread

Post by stevejamsecono » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:09 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:45 am
timtam wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:54 pm
stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:48 am
Eastwood dropped their McGeoch tribute model recently and the demos are starting to go up. All of 'em covering Banshees and Magazine riffs. I have to say, it does me a little proud to see him work getting noticed even if it's for an unsanctioned tribute model. Also holy hell, but this take on "Shot by Both Sides" by RJ Ronquillo heckin' ROCKS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsimwp2rpGc
Love McGeoch. Ronquillo's noodling over possibly the greatest post punk classic, without playing the killer solo, doesn't sit well with me. It's not that hard. Noko and Robin Simon both managed to render the original closely.
The original ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu3R-H5on1s
Yeah I appreciate Steve posting it and I guess he sees it differently but couldn't hack that at all, it was too 'insert hairy handed rawk playing here' for me and lacking McGeochs mercurial nature . I'd struggle to call it a cover too, it's just yer typical geetar demo dude thing IMO.

D
Admittedly I'm a bit of a rockist anyway, so I'm automatically compromised on these subjects :D

What I liked about it was his interpretations of the vocal melodies in the rhythm parts. Thought it sounded cool. I generally love stuff like this, Mike Hermans, etc. because it takes the song somewhere else while still showing what's great about it. Horses for courses, of course.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Post Reply