You're My Guitar Hero!, blog about Punk/NewWave Guitarists (Updated 8/1/20 - The Go-Go's)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

You're My Guitar Hero!, blog about Punk/NewWave Guitarists (Updated 8/1/20 - The Go-Go's)

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:29 am

Well, either I've finally cracked in my isolation or my obsessions with guitar equipment and the Clash have finally reached their apex.

I'm happy to announce the debut my part-time project, "You're My Guitar Hero!". In it, I'll explore the rigs and playing styles of some of my favorite punk/post-punk/new-wave/etc. guys and gals. I got the idea from jbiscuti's "Music So Loud: The Guitars of Big Star" blog. If you haven't seen it, it's here and it's excellent: http://big-star.squarespace.com/

Kicking it off, Part 1 on a series on the Clash's Mick Jones. Have a read, and if there's anyone from this era (77-84 let's say) who you're curious about, let me know, and I'll add it to my list of rigs to explore!

https://youremyguitarhero.wordpress.com/
Last edited by stevejamsecono on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: You're My Guitar Hero!, blog about Punk/NewWave Guitaris

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Very cool!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:05 pm

Good read!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

egosheep
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by egosheep » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:32 pm

Very cool! Looking forward to seeing who else you feature. I've done a pretty exhaustive Johnny Marr gearography at Smiths On Guitar, if you're interested... I love this kind of geeky gear history and research!

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:22 pm

egosheep wrote:Very cool! Looking forward to seeing who else you feature. I've done a pretty exhaustive Johnny Marr gearography at Smiths On Guitar, if you're interested... I love this kind of geeky gear history and research!
Oh my god, you're that guy? I LOVE Smithsonguitar and it was totally something I was basing my formatting and research on. You did a wonderful job on Johnny. I can only hope to be as thorough!

I'm open to my next explorations, if anyone has any ideas, I'm definitely open.

Also, egosheep, I participated in the discussions around Johnny's later Smiths boss pedalboard (identifying the potential HM-2 in the lineup) and now I think I want to revise my opinion of what that all is. The crazy stage lighting is definitely throwing off the scent...

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

egosheep
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by egosheep » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:48 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:Oh my god, you're that guy? I LOVE Smithsonguitar and it was totally something I was basing my formatting and research on. You did a wonderful job on Johnny. I can only hope to be as thorough!

I'm open to my next explorations, if anyone has any ideas, I'm definitely open.

Also, egosheep, I participated in the discussions around Johnny's later Smiths boss pedalboard (identifying the potential HM-2 in the lineup) and now I think I want to revise my opinion of what that all is. The crazy stage lighting is definitely throwing off the scent...
Hey, thanks man!! What do you think now about the boss board? One of Johnny's assistants actually passed on a message from him confirming that he used the HM2 on that board, so you were right about that! Can't find the email now though... :fp: . I think the HM2, TW1, OD2 and PSM5 are all for sure there. The CE2 has gotta be one of the two light colored pedals as he always used the CE2 live. The GE6 was confirmed by Johnny to be used in conjunction with the CE2 on some 1984 shows, so that's my best guess for the other light colored one.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:54 am

egosheep wrote:Very cool! Looking forward to seeing who else you feature. I've done a pretty exhaustive Johnny Marr gearography at Smiths On Guitar, if you're interested... I love this kind of geeky gear history and research!
Holy shit man! I have been to this site many times and was always impressed with the dedication. Happy to know it's a fellow OSG'er.

OP: Great work on The Clash! You obviously have the same obsession with details that egosheep has, which means good things for the rest of us! Looking forward to the next installment and will post here if I think of any band I would like to see featured.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:04 am

egosheep wrote: Hey, thanks man!! What do you think now about the boss board? One of Johnny's assistants actually passed on a message from him confirming that he used the HM2 on that board, so you were right about that! Can't find the email now though... . I think the HM2, TW1, OD2 and PSM5 are all for sure there. The CE2 has gotta be one of the two light colored pedals as he always used the CE2 live. The GE6 was confirmed by Johnny to be used in conjunction with the CE2 on some 1984 shows, so that's my best guess for the other light colored one.
Did he actually use the HM2 ever? I'm just trying to imagine where it would have shown up.
mediocreplayer wrote:
OP: Great work on The Clash! You obviously have the same obsession with details that egosheep has, which means good things for the rest of us! Looking forward to the next installment and will post here if I think of any band I would like to see featured.
Thank you! Honestly, it came from years of reading he used Marshall amps and just getting neurotically frustrated over the fact that that clearly wasn't the case.

The 80-83 update should be done in a few days. I'll let you guys know when it's up!

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:06 am

The solo on "Shoplifters of the World" always amuses me. I can't place the sound just by hearing it, but I could see him using some kind of metal pedal for that live.

As a big Television/Verlaine fan this is an interesting nerdy tidbit to me.

https://youtu.be/iFMboOeqIFM?t=31m23s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:51 am

marqueemoon wrote:The solo on "Shoplifters of the World" always amuses me. I can't place the sound just by hearing it, but I could see him using some kind of metal pedal for that live.

https://youtu.be/iFMboOeqIFM?t=31m23s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh WOW. Where'd he get the money for that, back in the day?

Was he using it around the time of "Adventure"? Because i thought they were into their Ampeg phase by then.

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:25 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
marqueemoon wrote:The solo on "Shoplifters of the World" always amuses me. I can't place the sound just by hearing it, but I could see him using some kind of metal pedal for that live.

Oh WOW. Where'd he get the money for that, back in the day?

Was he using it around the time of "Adventure"? Because i thought they were into their Ampeg phase by then.
I am very curious too. I'm thinking Adventure era or early solo. They weren't always so crazy expensive on the used market.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:41 am

Interesting! I'll definitely look into it. I've had a few requests to do Television, which I think is interesting because they seem fairly well-documented, but I'll definitely add them to the list. The ones I plan on doing in the near future are some less-appreciated ones... Jane and Charlotte of the Go-Gos, Ed and Dave of the Vapors, and some others...

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

preservation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by preservation » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:43 pm

this is awesome.
i remember coming across SmithsonGuitar and being blown away.
this one is awesome too.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:06 pm

preservation wrote:this is awesome.
i remember coming across SmithsonGuitar and being blown away.
this one is awesome too.
Thanks! Honestly this just came from years of having to really scrounge to find out any of this stuff. Most of the bands/artists/players I'll be covering haven't had as much official coverage and if they did, it was long ago in lost issues of Guitar magazines. I always wished that GuitarGeek or similar would pick up the slack on it, but it never happened. I guess it's up to me!

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

dezb1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dezb1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:46 am

That'll be what the hm-2 was for