Odd-ball Jaguar Pickup Selection

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mrfett
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Odd-ball Jaguar Pickup Selection

Post by mrfett » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:10 pm

I'm hoping someone who's played around with different pickups in a Jaguar can give me a little advice. I have a pretty CAR Classic Player Jaguar with the stock MIM single coil pickups that I should just sell. However I'm thinking of making it something a little different by adding one of Curtis Novak's Lipstick pickups to the bridge and one of his Jazzmaster pickups to the neck.

Is this a terrible idea? Thanks for any informed opinions, I've played Jazzmasters and lipstick pups and I've been trying to listen to different clips but it's hard to get a handle on what a combo might sound like. This is definitely a "let's see if we can make something cool" thread.

triviani
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Odd-ball Jaguar Pickup Selection

Post by triviani » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:47 am

Only -but- I can think of is the jazzy pickup being more loud than the other.

Jaguars usually welcome odd pickup combinations. ;)
An AC30 fired in anger can peel the paint from your automobile...

empyrean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by empyrean » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:53 am

Crazy Jaguar pickup combos you say?

;D

As Triviani said, the biggest issue would be mismatched outputs, but if you're going the Novak route, I'm sure you can just get him to wind them to a matched output. The Lipstick also might be a bit too chimey in comparison - might not flow together nicely.

mrfett
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mrfett » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Ok thanks so much guys!

chacha
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chacha » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:23 pm

empyrean wrote:Crazy Jaguar pickup combos you say?

As Triviani said, the biggest issue would be mismatched outputs, but if you're going the Novak route, I'm sure you can just get him to wind them to a matched output. The Lipstick also might be a bit too chimey in comparison - might not flow together nicely.
I'd love to hear that!

WonderCouncil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WonderCouncil » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:59 pm

I'm glad this thread popped up. I was going to make a similar one in the near future. I had a question or two about two boutique Jag pups. As for you're choice in pickup combo, it sounds like it could be really fun. It was already mentioned but output matching would would be the only thing that may not work. At least in a traditional sense. Doesn't mean a hotter neck pickup and lower bridge pup couldn't sound great. Just depends on the application and player.

Didn't a lot of the import/department store guitars of the 60's have neck and bridge pickups with the same or nearly identical outputs? I thought Danelectro was like that too, no output difference between the positions.

My little question was if anyone has given these a try...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-DIA-al-3-CU ... 1e7b4c7edb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-style-Bl ... 20d3f38956

The first ones look like a copy of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. The second though has be very intrigued. You don't see many true single coils with a rail. The output doesn't look to be much more then standard Fender, 7.8K. Fenders are usually around 6k right?

I looked for a thread on them and found one but there wasn't much info or comments on them. I'm guessing because no one has tried them here yet. I'm very tempted to buy the rail pickup for a Jaguar/Musicmaster project. Id be using it for a neck pickup. I'd like to hear others though on what kind of tone one might expect from a pickup like this.

I apologize, I don't mean to take the thread off course, but they are odd-balls.

He also makes a surface mount pickup that would be great for adding a middle pickup or behind the bridge pickup if you didn't want to route the body. As well as two different wide range style pickups with alnico slug pole pieces. Those I am extremely interested in. Almost thinking about one for my Ibanez hollowbody.
http://myworld.ebay.com/csentell1?_trks ... 7675.l2559

Guess I'll be the first one to take the plunge and buy one of his Jaguar pups.

empyrean - Are those actual Danelectro lipstick pickups in that Jaguar? How did you go about mounting them? I have a few and my give it a try on my Jag at some point. I actually wouldn't be opposed to mounting them true Danoo' style. Not sure if the body is thick enough though for the tall bracket. I'll have to see.

mrfett
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mrfett » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:52 am

Whoa those look cool! Where'd you find them? Going to do some hunting, thanks for sharing.

empyrean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by empyrean » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:41 am

WonderCouncil wrote:
empyrean - Are those actual Danelectro lipstick pickups in that Jaguar? How did you go about mounting them? I have a few and my give it a try on my Jag at some point. I actually wouldn't be opposed to mounting them true Danoo' style. Not sure if the body is thick enough though for the tall bracket. I'll have to see.
Yup, they are from one of the 90's Dano reissues. It was not an easy process by far - I had to make custom mounting brackets for them. Mounting them Dano style would theoretically be easier, if you didn't mind drilling right through the body and routing out a significant part of the body on either side of the pickups.

They are matched output and I have no problem with that, most of my guitars have matching outputs in the neck and bridge now. I know there must be some super tonal reason they stopped doing this, but honestly, it sounds great to me. Even my vintage jag pickups are just .02 k different from each other, so I'm not sure why companies releasing vintage spec pickups change the output around - again, I'm no expert though. As far as my experience goes, matching outputs doesn't cause any problems.

I described the process for putting the Dano's in a Jaguar in my blog:
http://shepherdandcrow.wordpress.com/20 ... er-jaguar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WonderCouncil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WonderCouncil » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:01 pm

mrfett wrote:Whoa those look cool! Where'd you find them? Going to do some hunting, thanks for sharing.
I had just stumbled across them on eBay a short while back.
http://sentellpickups.net/ Beware there's a music player on the homepage. Scare the bejesus out of me the first time :D

Also from what little contact I've had with him on eBay, he doesn't come across as super friendly. Maybe just busy. Ive only gotten one word responses though, regardless of what I had sent him. :( He has some really really cool ideas and designs though. How they translate to actual tone, I have no clue. There's more then a few I see on his page I'd love to try though.
empyrean wrote:
WonderCouncil wrote:
Yup, they are from one of the 90's Dano reissues. It was not an easy process by far - I had to make custom mounting brackets for them. Mounting them Dano style would theoretically be easier, if you didn't mind drilling right through the body and routing out a significant part of the body on either side of the pickups.

They are matched output and I have no problem with that, most of my guitars have matching outputs in the neck and bridge now. I know there must be some super tonal reason they stopped doing this, but honestly, it sounds great to me. Even my vintage jag pickups are just .02 k different from each other, so I'm not sure why companies releasing vintage spec pickups change the output around - again, I'm no expert though. As far as my experience goes, matching outputs doesn't cause any problems.

I described the process for putting the Dano's in a Jaguar in my blog:
http://shepherdandcrow.wordpress.com/20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... er-jaguar/
Awesome, awesome, thanks for the link and the input on pickup matching. Those 90's Danelectro RI's I think are by far my favorite incarnation of the lipstick pickup. Granted I haven't played a Chandler yet. But for the money and quality they are hard to beat.

I'm certainly going to experiment more in the future with matched output pickups. It was something I worried about at times, years ago...not really sure why either. Other then I was always told they can't be the same. :ph34r: