"Odd Jag Project" Restoration

Bringing your older offset back to life.
MrWizard44
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: "Odd Jag Project" Restoration

Post by MrWizard44 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:18 pm

mezcalhead wrote: I wouldn't give up on the bridge just yet .. you can often resurrect them by soaking in WD40 for a while after which they come apart and you can clean the rust off the pieces individually before reassembly .. painstaking but worth it.

I'd also hang on to the tuners, you haven't said what's wrong with them but there are a few tips around here for helping them out too.

Anyway, congratulations! There's nothing like restoring one of these old guitars .. you'll have really bonded with it once you're done. I may have missed it, but do you have a colour in mind?
One -- I do have a couple tricks up my sleeve for the bridge.  It hasn't been declared dead yet.

Two -- the problem with the tuners is that the actual keys are super-loose.  I don't know if that will change w/ string tension or not (I don't work with guitars often -- just play them), but it's something I'm wary of.

Three -- I'm just getting AVRI parts where I can.  I don't have the money, time, or patience to hunt down actual '66 parts...

Four -- it's going to be black.  I loves me some black guitars.  Though I will need a new neck -- given the condition of this one, I can't really refinish it to match the body like I would want to on clean conscience.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:45 pm

Oooh, this project is getting exciting.  8)
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:01 pm

dirty / rusted bridges can be brought back from the dead.... the one below was on my 66 oly white jag

before cleaning

after cleaning
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:11 pm

Do you clean it with rust buster?
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:42 pm

1946dodge wrote: Do you clean it with rust buster?
I used a number of products  ...
firstly a wire brush and (very gently) a dremel wire brush attachment.

Then I soaked the parts ion kerosene for about a week and then used tooth paste.  Then lastly soaked them in cleaner called CLR  (which removes calcium, lime and rust)
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:51 pm

sookwinder wrote:

Then I soaked the parts ion kerosene for about a week and then used tooth paste.  Then lastly soaked them in cleaner called CLR  (which removes calcium, lime and rust)
Wow... that's a lot of work!

Regan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Regan » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:54 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
sookwinder wrote:

Wow... that's a lot of work!
Yes, but it was sure effective!!!! Great job!!!!!

MrWizard44
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrWizard44 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:00 pm

Misc. Design Question --

Really fast -- I hate it when Fender guitars have rosewood fretboards and non-matching headstocks.

It's really hard to explain why that is.  Most people think I'm crazy and that I should just get over it (this is actually true for most of my opinions).

Long story short, since I can't refinish this neck (on pain of crucification), and i want a black guitar, the focal point of the guitar will be split between the pickguard (which would be white) and the headstock.  So, my solution to this was going to be getting an anodized guard, since gold and aged maple are somewhat similar colors, and it's the closest I can get to making them match.  Eventually I want to get a B&B neck w/ matching headstock, at which time I would probably replace the pickguard with a mint one.  But, if I did that, I'm concerned that the silver control plates would clash with the gold guard (it's a composition issue -- I'm really anal about color schemes if you can't tell). 

So, to any artists out there -- would the silver plates and gold guard compete?  Is that a color foh-pah? 

Next question -- what the hell happened to the thread about where to find repro gold guards?  I can't find it anywhere!  Where do I get gold guards for Jaguars?!

*EDIT -- nevermind, I found the thread.. heh
Last edited by MrWizard44 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:25 pm

As far as I'm concerned gold and chrome are not the best of buddies. I'd go for tort or at a stretch mint or black with a maple headstock.

Why not post some dressing room pics? That's what it's there for.

Tortoise, definitely

MrWizard44
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrWizard44 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:59 pm

theworkoffire wrote: As far as I'm concerned gold and chrome are not the best of buddies. I'd go for tort or at a stretch mint or black with a maple headstock.

Why not post some dressing room pics? That's what it's there for.

Tortoise, definitely
I... I don't know how!!!

Oh, and I've kept my mouth shut about this before, but I really find tortoise shell to be fuck ugly.  :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k !  You guys can like it all you want, but not on my guitar!

...sorry about that.

if I don't get gold then I'll go w/ mint or white.

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:31 am

With the dressing room you need to "print screen" then paste into an image editing program, then post the image somewhere like photobucket and link to it. Sounds long-winded but it could be much worse.

I remember you saying before that you didn't like tort guards. No matter.

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:52 am

MrWizard44 wrote: Oh, and I've kept my mouth shut about this before, but I really find tortoise shell to be fuck ugly.   :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k :k !  You guys can like it all you want, but not on my guitar!
  I understand perfectly.  That's precisely how I feel about gold guards... ;)

Can't wait to see pics!
One more guitar, then I'll practice!

spaceghost
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spaceghost » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:38 am

definitely mint. good luck on finding another neck as well. i love black matching.

i also, however, am a big fan of the non-matching variety. something about a wood headstock and a rosewood fretboard on a black guitar. :?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 am

spaceghost wrote:
i also, however, am a big fan of the non-matching variety. something about a wood headstock and a rosewood fretboard on a black guitar. :?

I agree.... :)

Resident Spartan.

MrWizard44
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrWizard44 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:14 am

Wow, really?  It just seems so... out of place to me.  Tortoise on black, I mean.  Tortoise shell needs a contrasting color in my opinion.  It looks okay on blonde or white.

I did think about getting a custom Jazzmaster pickguard w/ holes cut in for the Jag's "lead" pickup switches to solve the chrome problem, but it does seem like an awful lot of trouble.

I'll probably get a brushed gold (closest thing I can find to "anodized" so far) pickguard AND a mint pickguard and see what looks better for myself.

Oh, I don't have a "print screen" button on my computer (damn you, Macintosh)...  is there a Mac equivalent?
Last edited by MrWizard44 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.