Stereordinary's Guitar Design Challenge #1

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Stereordinary's Guitar Design Challenge #1

Post by antisymmetric » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:44 pm

Toots wrote: Image
That is all kinds of cool. As usual. :-*
Watching the corners turn corners

vale
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vale » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:24 pm

Toots wrote:Ok, I did some sketching. If I find the time, I'll take it to Inkscape and draw it properly.
Still to figure out is the control layout.
likey, Toots. defo get some controls on it. my fav so far.
i am an animal.

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:48 pm

I wanna play! I haven't done a guitar thing in years...

The circle on the upper left area is a strap button, boldly placed on the front of the guitar body. The dotted circle on the upper right area shows the location of the other strap button, but it's on the back of the guitar. I ran out of brainpower when I got to the tailpiece and I'm not totally happy with it. Also started drawing this with pointy corners, but tried to round them later (should have used pencil, not pen). The proportions are way off, as far as the way the body looks compared to the neck- try not to think of the top half as a giant long guitar, but look at it like the bottom half is a dinky little guitar. These pickups are some kind of odd chrome things that you can never replace without routing the guitar because they're an odd shape. Comes in surfy colors or for an upgrade, big fat chunky metal flake finishes. Oh crap, I just realized I forgot the inlay thing... They'll look like an "M" sort of echoing the lines that make up the top edge of the guitar.
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

vale
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vale » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:35 pm

andrewdoeshair wrote:I wanna play! I haven't done a guitar thing in years...

The circle on the upper left area is a strap button, boldly placed on the front of the guitar body. The dotted circle on the upper right area shows the location of the other strap button, but it's on the back of the guitar. I ran out of brainpower when I got to the tailpiece and I'm not totally happy with it. Also started drawing this with pointy corners, but tried to round them later (should have used pencil, not pen). The proportions are way off, as far as the way the body looks compared to the neck- try not to think of the top half as a giant long guitar, but look at it like the bottom half is a dinky little guitar. These pickups are some kind of odd chrome things that you can never replace without routing the guitar because they're an odd shape. Comes in surfy colors or for an upgrade, big fat chunky metal flake finishes. Oh crap, I just realized I forgot the inlay thing... They'll look like an "M" sort of echoing the lines that make up the top edge of the guitar.
bit like the sterling? but quite like the boxiness.
i am an animal.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Ok, here's my entry.

Did I forget anything? :D

I admit that I kind of phoned it in on the back cover plate, but I was wanting to do some kind of angled jack plate (similar to a Strat, but with custom hardware), and couldn't think of how to draw it where it would be obvious what it was. The pickups have individual push-button on off switches. The tailpiece is mounted er... uh... inside? the body? Hopefully you can see what I'm doing with it. I think I'd also prefer to do it with 24 frets instead of 22 as it has now. Let me know what you think!

Design Challenge #2 coming soon!
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

joeld
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by joeld » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Stereordinary wrote:Ok, here's my entry.

Did I forget anything?

I admit that I kind of phoned it in on the back cover plate, but I was wanting to do some kind of angled jack plate (similar to a Strat, but with custom hardware), and couldn't think of how to draw it where it would be obvious what it was. The pickups have individual push-button on off switches. The tailpiece is mounted er... uh... inside? the body? Hopefully you can see what I'm doing with it. I think I'd also prefer to do it with 24 frets instead of 22 as it has now. Let me know what you think!

Design Challenge #2 coming soon!
I really dig it Paul, yours and Toots are my favourites for sure!

Toots
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Toots » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:44 pm

That's a great one.
It looks very complete.
Looking forward to the next challenge!

Thanks joeld!

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:29 pm

andrewdoeshair wrote: Image
C'mon, man, buy a ruler and clean that up! That's cool as hell.

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:27 am

So, I made a thingy :

kept it for clarity's sake : link to my first ugly attempt.

I then realised I liked almost everything about it, except the body shape. The whole idea was to design an industrial/metallic looking neck & pickguards, pups etc on a wooden, organic hollow body. I spend a lot of time looking at aluminum necked guitars, so it must have bled through.
Still, this is the mutant offspring of an old framus hollowbody, some wandré there and there, Ken Parker's archtops (whose neck joint I borrowed for this but is way too hard to draw in perspective, so just imagine it's there) and some other stuff.
I think it checks all the marks ? I might redo it with another shape, maybe something more solidbody.

Oh, and the brown shape on the upper bout is some sort of soundhole.

Glad to post this along so many cool drawing, cheers !

edit : I changed the thing, that body shape was too ugly to be kept. I also got rid of the offset soundhole, because that wasn't working visually for me.
so, new one :
Last edited by Flurko on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

rumfoord
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rumfoord » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:27 am

Stereordinary wrote:Ok, here's my entry.

The tailpiece is mounted er... uh... inside? the body? Hopefully you can see what I'm doing with it.
I'm pretty sure this is not what you had in mind (but maybe??),
but the picture made me think there might be a hole through the body, some sort of weird tailpiece with mounting screws parallel to the strings, a curvy kind of sheet metal piece with the strings attached that would stick through the body---like a whammy whale tail (instead of bar) that you manipulate by pushing the guitar into your hip. Um. Does that make sense?

KeithJ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by KeithJ » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:03 am

This is so much harder than I thought going into this! I can't for the life of me come up with a headstock design or fret markers that I like! If inspiration strikes later today I may make an entry, but for now it looks like I may be sitting this one out and saving my designs for later :ph34r:

There are a TON of great designs here though, I'm really impressed with these. I have another tab open with the entries and I was planning on commenting on some of my favorite elements, but that would be just about everything here :D

Firecat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firecat » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:57 am

Flurko wrote:
edit : I changed the thing, that body shape was too ugly to be kept. I also got rid of the offset soundhole, because that wasn't working visually for me.
so, new one :
Love it!

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Flurko wrote:

Really like your thinking with that headstock, nice! :)
Watching the corners turn corners

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:22 pm

Toots wrote:Ok, I did some sketching. If I find the time, I'll take it to Inkscape and draw it properly.
Still to figure out is the control layout.
I imagine the inlays (lower right on the picture) being sized as standard block inlays.
I would go with a glued in neck.
Aluminum tailpiece top would have a 12" radius, matching the bridge and fretboard. Strings mounted from the bottom of the tailpiece.
Pickups are "Hershey bars" I saw Mojo pickups now do a repro of those.
I'll build it some day, but I would probably go with a 3x3 head
This gets my vote. Subtle nods here and there, but unlike anything i've seen. It's hard to get something that angular to look right.
Good stuff
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:31 pm

antisymmetric wrote:
Flurko wrote:

Really like your thinking with that headstock, nice!
Agreed.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.