Jazzmaster pickup comparison

For help with setups and other technical issues.
fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster pickup comparison

Post by fuzzking » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:31 am

steve barnabas wrote:hello friends,
any suggest jazzmaster pups, pots and caps for lead circuit?
for me, my squier JMJM sound muddy and dark, lots of bottom end and mid, so i want ot change it, with another pickups... brighter pups, more lower output than stock, more treble but still got bottem end and mid

thanks
This is the first time I hear someone saying the JMJM's too muddy... have you tried lowering the pickups yet? Lowering will clear up the sound a bit and make for less output. Just an idea for a cheapo fix. ;)
Nobody exists on purpose.

steve barnabas
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by steve barnabas » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:05 pm

fuzzking wrote:
steve barnabas wrote:hello friends,
any suggest jazzmaster pups, pots and caps for lead circuit?
for me, my squier JMJM sound muddy and dark, lots of bottom end and mid, so i want ot change it, with another pickups... brighter pups, more lower output than stock, more treble but still got bottem end and mid

thanks
This is the first time I hear someone saying the JMJM's too muddy... have you tried lowering the pickups yet? Lowering will clear up the sound a bit and make for less output. Just an idea for a cheapo fix.
thank you, i've try but it still the same... any suggest? :)

scuzzboy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by scuzzboy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:52 am

I'm sure you get this all the time but this is almost essentially why I joined the board. Thanks.
Think this sold me on the Antiquity II's.

Bothand Nether
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bothand Nether » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:05 pm

Best JM thread ever.
Thank You Green Angel,
& all those that posted their sounds & thoughts.
Well done fellas, you Rock.
err, Jazz.
"No short-haired, yellow-bellied Son of tricky dicky's Gonna mother hubbard soft soap me"
-The late Mr. L.

sacenos
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sacenos » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:17 pm

What a great job you got here, and it remains to relevant be even after six years.
Thanks and keep up the god work

Salutations from Portugal :)

tremolo3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tremolo3 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:47 am

It needs VMJM's pickups though.

chaseth
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by chaseth » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:53 pm

planningtojazz wrote:
tantamo wrote:
39Steve wrote:Great post, and well done to all those posting sound clips. All nice pickups, but nothing that would make me pull the stock pickups out of my '62 AVRI, which sounds so close to my old '64 that I'm pretty happy.
Yes, I feel like I wasted a bunch of time, Tried out the novaks, lollars, pickup wizards, and in the end I don't think they're any better than the avri really. They're all nice though.
the difference is night and day to my ears. you have me curious to try the AVRI's though
I have a stock 61 Jazzmaster all vintage and owned a 62 reissue at the same time. In no way did the avri measure up in terms of pickups. They were ice picky and thin. I haven't tried any other boutique Jazzmaster pickups. It is interesting though. I acquired my vintage 61 because I loved my avri. However when I got the vintage out blew the avri out the water. And I'm not saying that because I'm just sloppy on vintage. I actually liked the avri neck better than my vintage. It was thicker and felt better in my hand. Maybe avri pickups will sound good in 50 years as my vintage duo now

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:11 pm

Based in part on the sound files in this thread I bought a brand new set of Lollars for my MIJ JM and installed them yesterday. I am very impressed -- they have a really rich, thick sound, but one that is very clear and clean, not muddy at all. Bright too but not quite as bright as my AVRI62 pickups. Overall they sound fuller, warmer and "cleaner" than my AVRI62, but I love the AVRI62 pickups as well. The note articulation is the best I have heard as the radiused magnets really bring out extra nuances in each string. They are higher output than I am used to (8.4~8.9k), but otherwise I'm quite pleased with them. I keep the tone knob around 7 and that's just the right sound for my ears.

I wanted a pickup with a vintage sound but slightly modified (radiused magnets) for a unique twist, so as to distinguish them from my AVRI62. These fit the bill perfectly.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:32 pm

Recent 7 min demo of Lollar Jazzmaster pickups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7XKctqrtmk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably the best youtube demo of these pickups I've heard. Still my favorite JM pickups!

Jestapali
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jestapali » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:11 am

This is really great, after so many years, thank you. I was set on Antiquity II but now I'm really liking the Antiquity I almost better ...

vortexx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vortexx » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:51 pm

I'm a vintage pickup guy. I had a Curtis Novak vintage Jazzmaster pickup and I bought a vintage pre-'64 Jazzmaster pickup afterward to replace it. In all other cases, the vintage pickup sounds much better than the current ones but the vintage Jazzmaster pickup sounded exactly like Curtis'. I ended up selling the vintage one. I sold the guitar with the Novaks which was a export model of the Fender Mascis JM made in basswood. I recently bought one of the second 'Japan-Only' run of the purple Mascis JM made in alder. It still came with those strange Fender JMJM pickups. The bobbins are taller and the coil is mostly in the center. I upgraded them to Duncan Hot Jazzmaster which has a bit more low end than the vintage ones and I like them.
Good deals with: kifla, Pacafeliz, AWSchmit, Curtis Novac, and others

Big_allidata
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Big_allidata » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Does anyone have any audio clips of what a jazzmaster neck pickup and a p90 bridge pickup sounds like in middle position(both at the same time)? Also sorry if I'm not supposed to be posting on here. Other forums get really mad if you revive an old post but this one looks like it's been used for years

Stam
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Stam » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:04 am

My first post in this forum, thanks for this invaluable resource!

I'm putting together a lefty partscaster and was going to go for the Fender RI pickups, but it sounds like they do leave a bit to be desired after listening to the Lollar or Novaks.

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:16 am

You have too keep in mind the ones in the original post are the pickups from the old AVRI. Not the new AV65 pickups. They sound quite a lot different compared to the old ones (and better, IMHO).

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:01 am

Hi everyone,

I recorded some samples of my new guitar. It has Sunday Custom handwired pickups made by Timothy Esau...

https://reverb.com/item/1034111-sunday-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... your-specs

I don't have any affiliation with Timothy but I contacted him after listening to clips at Reverb and thought his pickups sounded sweet. He was very communicative and ended up custom winding a pair for me since this new 12-string has a really funky positioning for the pickups. Anyway...they sound great. Very comparable to the Antiquity II's in my Squier JMJM (but less expensive).

I though I'd post a few clips in case anyone might be interested.

12-string with flatwounds through a Princeton Reverb clone with a little compression. I used a Bluesbreaker clone on parts for some dirt and an Orpheum fuzz clone on one part just to give a sense of how the guitar sounds with fuzz. Recorded with a Fathead ribbon and no post processing.

https://soundcloud.com/julius2790/sets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nd-strings