Why doesn't Mastery sell replacement arms for their tremolos?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Why doesn't Mastery sell replacement arms for their tremolos?

Post by sunburster » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:59 pm

The AVRI trem is awesome and works just fine. I don't see the point of paying so much more for a Mastery. It seems they don't see the point either, if they're actively banning or discouraging people from buying their stuff.

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:35 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:29 pm
In contrast, John at staytrem is a really pleasant guy to communicate with and also makes a superb product.
And his products are reasonably priced, top quality and look better than the Mastery. I have a Staytrem Bridge on both Jaguar and Jazzmaster and couldn’t be happier.
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:17 am

iirc mike with the ginger beard (of mike&mike's) does their social media sometimes and he's a really pleasant and helpful guy. Why don't they get people like that to do their customer support?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:58 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:24 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:06 pm

We have some real personalities in the guitar world, eh?

There's "sometimes I don't exist, sometimes I do" ToneGuard, "I'm doing you a favour by selling you a $300 trem" Mastery, Angela "that'll be $30 shipping for your capacitor" Isntruments, and this guy (skip to 7 minutes and/or read his interactions with commenters if you want a fascinating view into the perspective of a man who thinks he's a gift from god).
Oh! I remember his website with his rants about women and the abusive, mortifying shit he said about an ex whom he named and posted pictures of. He's a real psycho.
That Zachary guy has a catastrophic sense of aesthetic style, he's like the anti Harvester.

Even on mute I gonged that video pronto the second I saw that brain seeringly terrible relic job.

You know, I'm also feeling there's a market for guitar demos for people whose wardrobes stretch beyond shorts, sloppy joes and flip flops. When I got my copy of Bert Weedon's Play in A Day, I knew I was in the hands of a consummate professional who'd not be seen dead in flip flops and cargo shorts.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:37 pm

Yes, I'd be pretty happy if there were a gear demo channel that was well dressed people not blues noodling.

It's a shame you missed it, but in the video Mr. Zachary Guitars talked about the paint he used and how great it wears, claiming that gawdawful relic job was honest wear, I think he claimed after a month or two.
This is an excellent rectangle

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:42 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:37 pm
Yes, I'd be pretty happy if there were a gear demo channel that was well dressed people not blues noodling.
You can imagine my trauma when I decided to look at some Youtube videos about the Gibson Firebird a while back.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:22 pm

Weird situation all around. Any outfit that designs and makes something (Apple, Toro, Fender, BMW, Whirlpool, etc.) shouldn’t have an issue offering/selling basic, expected replacement parts or components to those who need them. The original poster didn’t demand/expect anything for free.
Last edited by pscates on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:28 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:42 pm
mackerelmint wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:37 pm
You can imagine my trauma when I decided to look at some Youtube videos about the Gibson Firebird a while back.
Oof. :squint:
This is an excellent rectangle

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:11 pm

Mastery is very very.... very.... finicky about their products. They don't sell operate parts or upgrade kits for OEM units. They only sell their own complete bridges and trems.

From their perspective I can see it - They want to protect the quality and integrity of their product.

The PITA is that - Sooner or later though people are going to need replacement parts or spares.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:29 pm

mekhem wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:11 pm
Mastery is very very.... very.... finicky about their products. They don't sell operate parts or upgrade kits for OEM units. They only sell their own complete bridges and trems.

From their perspective I can see it - They want to protect the quality and integrity of their product.

The PITA is that - Sooner or later though people are going to need replacement parts or spares.
How is it protecting the "quality and integrity" of their product, when they refuse to replace broken or lost parts?

That's leaving unhappy customers with incomplete products that reflect poorly on your company. It means that the integrity of their products is compromised, in fact.

BMW charges their customers an arm and a leg for replacement parts, but they do offer them, because a bunch of broken down beamers doesn't do their reputation or bottom line any favours.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Wow, this thread has really blown up! I won't dedicate any space to that Zachary guy, but this Mastery thing really blows my tiny mind.

Refusing to sell a product is one thing, but placing a purchasing ban on someone is completely different. What the fuck are they trying to prove? Do they think that a few celebrity users means they can treat the common customer like shit? Would they refuse to give Thurston Moore a replacement arm if he asked?

I've never bought Mastery stuff. Up until now the reason has been that I like the aesthetics of Staytrem better (and the stuff works really well), but this gives me another reason to stick with Staytrem. I'll add my voice to those saying that John is a really solid guy - honest, reasonable, responsive, and intelligent.

Cheers!
J.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:18 pm

mekhem wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:11 pm
They don't sell operate parts or upgrade kits for OEM units. They only sell their own complete bridges and trems.

To me that's the weirdest thing about all this - my last interaction involved them sending me spare parts (bridge height adjustment screws), shipped overseas to me, for free, even after I offered to pay for the parts and shipping/handling/time wasting costs.

As far as protecting the quality and integrity of their products goes, that just doesn't make sense; had Woody not arranged to send me out replacements, I would've had to resort to using whatever non-matching fastener I could find in my parts bin (or hit up other local techs I know to see what they had floating around). Said bridge was later sold to a fellow OSG-er, luckily it was equipped with a nearly new set of fasteners instead of mismatched stuff.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:39 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:31 pm
mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:29 pm
In contrast, John at staytrem is a really pleasant guy to communicate with and also makes a superb product.
Yes, he is.
yes, it's been a joy every time, and i've bought about 5 bridges from him. fast, friendly, reliable.

i never got to even try a Mastery, but with that kinda attitude - no thanks.
woody is/was a member here, right? maybe he'd want to look in here and listen to some of his "brothers" who supported the whole idea from the very beginning... :unsure:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:34 am

I bought my first mastery bridge back in 09 or 10 and Woody was great to work with. I bought my second bridge with no interaction with anyone from Mastery.

I've heard Larry Mal's story of being banned, this new story of questionable customer service, and the fact they won't sell spare parts much like my experience at Callaham. So the Mastery is off my guitar, sold, ready to ship. I won't be buying Mastery in the future

Johnny Alien
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnny Alien » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:33 am

If I can get a vintage tremolo for as much or lower than there is no need for this product. Mastery is nice stuff but way overpriced. They used to rest on the fact that they were the only option but that's not the case anymore.