NGD: 1965 Jazzmaster

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: 1965 Jazzmaster

Post by otis » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:29 am

Saw this one for sale locally and I couldn't keep myself from going to have 'a look'.
Of course, the moment I held it and played it I was convinced I'd take it with me.
It's a CBS transition L-series that has been refinned probably a long time ago.
The seller had it for 15 years, and he bought it like this, but I don't know if he's responsible for a lot of the playware.
Anyway, it didn't see much play with him cause he prefers his 70's Jazzmasters.
He changed out the pickups with Seymour Duncan Antiquities when he bought it. He changed them because the originals were defective.
There was still one in a drawer that he gave with the guitar. The other one he's not sure where it is... too bad...
The Duncans currently in it sound fine, but I'm gonna find a repairman for the original PU and put it in the neck position. I mostly play neck position alone anyway.
The finish of the neck is original, and it's got hairline cracks and a good amount of playware.
It feels fantastic, by the way; it's a bit more substantial than the neck of my '64 and it feels just right.
Frets have clearly been played (the whole instrument looks and feels like this), but they're still very ok.
The only thing is the nut; my 1st string is making a sitar-noise. I put a piece of cigarette-paper under it for now, but i'm going to a tech anyway to fix the broken PU.
Apart from the refin, wich I think looks fantastic (though it doesn't seem have a clearcoat/ I'm not sure here/ how can I tell?), obviously the pickups, and the upper straplock and screw, it seems all original to me.
I don't have pictures from under the guard, and I didn't take it of yet, but the seller took pictures of it that look convincing.
A strange thing is that the paint under the pickguard has yellowed way more than the rest. I'd expect the reverse.

A nice thing is the case. I never occupied a lot with vintage guitarcases anyway, but this one looks old. The seller said he doesn't think it's a 60's one, but rather an 80's or something.
I did some google-searches and I think it is an original after all.
It's mostly intact, but one latch is broken, and the metal buttons on the underside are gone. It doesn't seem too difficult to repair. I'm gonna order the pieces and let it fix in a shop where they fix shoes and handbags.

So I've got a new Jazzmaster that plays and sounds right and I'm very stoked!
Loooots of pics!
Your thoughts are welcome!

this is the questionable straplock

someone didn't cut his nails

and the case

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Re: NGD: 1965 Jazzmaster

Post by PJazzmaster » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:06 am

oh, wow! That's a classy looking one!!! :-* And that case is awesome too, even if it's not original ( finding vintage Fenders with original cases in Europe is almost impossible anyway). Isn't it a bit too much fresh plush for an old one but maybe it is an old one that got restored?

I'd actually call it a late L series rater than CBS transition L-series.
How does it play in comparison to your other vintage JM?
Last edited by PJazzmaster on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:41 am

Congrats. That looks real good
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:57 am

One of the most beautiful color+pg combos. And with a tort like that looks amazing! Great score!

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:02 am

So hot. That dark, dark fretboard! :? Happy NGD, it sure looks the part bigtime!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:05 am

Looks great. I hope you can get the original pickups back in action.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:26 am

I think congratulations are in order.

Well done

:)

Paul-T
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paul-T » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:00 am

that's lovely. It's exactly the type of refin I like, nice gradation of colour, not overdone and with wear of its own, just as much history as an original (but hopefully at a price which encourages you to play it).

Better than my refin Olympic '63 was when I got it (which I hope to feature on here before too long).

I don't know that much about cases, but it looks like a 1963-ish one with new plush, as mentioned before. I am definitely jealous (see my Wants ad).

I bet if you keep an eye open, you'll find another original PU over the next few years, the SD will definitely be fine until you find something original.

have fun with it, and update us with how it sounds!
"classic marked down to 20 pence bargain bin fodder'

zip73
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zip73 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:39 pm

otis wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:29 am
Apart from the refin, wich I think looks fantastic (though it doesn't seem have a clearcoat/ I'm not sure here/ how can I tell?)
A strange thing is that the paint under the pickguard has yellowed way more than the rest. I'd expect the reverse.
This all original '66 I owned was also more yellow under the guard. Notice that the dark yellowing gives way to progressively less yellowing and then to bare wood where your arm would rest. It is the clear-coat that yellows. The area between the guard and the arm-rest is less yellowed because it was exposed to light/handling/polishing and as a result, that yellowed clear-coat faded over time. The spot that is almost white is where someone's arm wore away the clear coat entirely down to the olympic white paint. And finally the area that is bare wood is where the clear coat, paint and undercoat have been totally worn away.

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Thanks for the positive reactions everyone;
The way it sounds is difficult to compare with my other Jazzmaster.
My '64 has got a Mastery bridge on it, I only heard it very shortly with an offset bridge, so it sounds sharper and a bit more pronounced due to the bridge. I have another Mastery on a Jaguar; it might be nice to know how they compare with the same bridge.
Bridge aside, I hear the more mellow character of the Antiquity's vs the more 'glassy?' tone of my '64.
It's hard to say what is precisely the reason for it, but this guitar sounds a bit warmer and has a bit shorter sustain(no Mastery?).
It sounds great, though, and's just got another personality.
The neck is definitely more comfortable to me; the weight too (8.6 lb for the '64 vs 7.8 lb of the '65).
Also the worn character of the guitar makes me pick it up easily (as far as I can tell that after 3 days).

I think I paid a fair price for it, not exactly a bargain but also I feel I didn't overpay it.
I know it's strictly my own busyness, but it might be interesting for some to know.
It was initially priced at 3000 euro and we agreed on 2600. The replacement pickups make me think I overpaid it, but it instantly felt good to play and as far as I know the rest (except that strap lock) looks authentic.
I called the luthier I've seen the last years, and he fixes PU's. In the worst case it'll be a rewind...

About the case, despite what most of you think (and what I thought as well at first), I now think it is an all authentic 60's case after I found this
https://reverb.com/item/5887798-fender- ... ase-1960-s
This is the exact case...
what do you think?

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:18 pm

zip73 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:39 pm
otis wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:29 am
Apart from the refin, wich I think looks fantastic (though it doesn't seem have a clearcoat/ I'm not sure here/ how can I tell?)
This all original '66 I owned was also more yellow under the guard. Notice that the dark yellowing gives way to progressively less yellowing and then to bare wood where your arm would rest. It is the clear-coat that yellows. The area between the guard and the arm-rest is less yellowed because it was exposed to light/handling/polishing and as a result, that yellowed clear-coat faded over time. The spot that is almost white is where someone's arm wore away the clear coat entirely down to the olympic white paint. And finally the area that is bare wood is where the clear coat, paint and undercoat have been totally worn away.

That's interesting!
In fact, I noticed this guitar does have a clearcoat a few hours ago.
It has an area where there is a large dull spot. I tried to clean the spot with lighter fluid, but nothing happened.
I than stupidly took a dab of fine polishing compound and went over it to stop almost immediately when I noticed that the whiter spot of the armrest turned even whiter. There's now a spot that has worn through the clear too.
I can kick myself now cause I should have known this, off course, but it happened, it's added to the history of this guitar.
It actually sounds worse than it looks, so no harm done... :whistle:

This little stupidity aside, this refin must be quite old to look the way it does.
It's a pity I can't trace it further back than 15 years...

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Gorgeous!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

kapepper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kapepper » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:09 am

Confratulations! Very nice!

Paul-T
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paul-T » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:06 am

I like your case a lot; Id be certain it has new plush (as the Reverb one surely has). I thought that blond color was exclusive to old cases; but does yours have a Fender badge by the handle?
"classic marked down to 20 pence bargain bin fodder'

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:46 am

Paul-T wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:06 am
I like your case a lot; Id be certain it has new plush (as the Reverb one surely has). I thought that blond color was exclusive to old cases; but does yours have a Fender badge by the handle?
It has 'Fender' on the badge by the handle, indeed.
I'm not so sure about the provenance of the red plush.
It looks and it smells old. The one in the reverb ad is the only other one I can seem to find on the net, on the contrary.
A website where all the info on vintage cases is bundled would be nice...

I took the guitar on rehearsal last Saturday, and it sounds very good; it takes it's place better in the mix than my '64.