Colors of vintage Jazzmasters that came stock with tortoise guards

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
takeittothemall
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Colors of vintage Jazzmasters that came stock with tortoise guards

Post by takeittothemall » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:16 am

It seems that conventional wisdom is that the only colors of vintage Jazzmasters that came from the Fender factory with tortoise guards were sunburst, olympic white, blonde, and maybe black.

I’ve found a couple exceptions. Below are two CAR JMs reportedly in their original finish and tortoise guards.

https://www.frettedamericana.com/produc ... zzmaster-5

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LBk0mao5eIo

Does anyone know of any other examples or other colors of JM that came from the factory with tortoise guards?

Thanks.
great OSG deals with: ncarey13, skip.
great TGP deals with: drjoel, 12strings, Tim P, angrybandnerd, echobaseone, guitarpkr67, jcampbell331

bterry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Colors of vintage Jazzmasters that came stock with tortoise guards

Post by bterry » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 am

Yes, it’s a misconception that all Fender custom color JMs shipped with white guards post gold guard era.

In fact, many had tort - I’ve personally seen LPB, Black, Daphne Blue, Fiesta Red, Dakota Red, CAR (custom order paint jobs pre 1963) and Sherwood Green with tort. I’ve also seen Oly White and Sunburst JMs with white guards from that era - it is all possible and if you can think of a combo it probably happened :)

The one thing I have seen that is BS IMO is pics of a gold guard JM in mid 1962 - with a mix of early 1958 features and 1962 features - that’s a parts guitar ;)

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:41 am

Here's a third CAR+tort JM that I suspect came out of the factory looking the same as it does now, just shinier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYF4wbyrNyY

takeittothemall
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by takeittothemall » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:50 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:41 am
Here's a third CAR+tort JM that I suspect came out of the factory looking the same as it does now, just shinier:
I'm just excited that Yo La Tengo made their way onto this thread. (My son is named Ira--definitely not not after Ira Kaplan.)

Given how much Ira has modded his amps and that he has a stripped 63 Strat, it seems very possible that his JM is a refin. Do you have a reason to think otherwise?
great TGP deals with: drjoel, 12strings, Tim P, angrybandnerd, echobaseone, guitarpkr67, jcampbell331

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:25 am

The sound on that YLT video is pretty great. I wish the song was a little more interesting though.

Ira’s controlled abandon with his vintage guitars always makes me chuckle.

takeittothemall
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by takeittothemall » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:08 pm

bterry wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 am
Yes, it’s a misconception that all Fender custom color JMs shipped with white guards post gold guard era.

In fact, many had tort - I’ve personally seen LPB, Black, Daphne Blue, Fiesta Red, Dakota Red, CAR (custom order paint jobs pre 1963) and Sherwood Green with tort. I’ve also seen Oly White and Sunburst JMs with white guards from that era - it is all possible and if you can think of a combo it probably happened :)

The one thing I have seen that is BS IMO is pics of a gold guard JM in mid 1962 - with a mix of early 1958 features and 1962 features - that’s a parts guitar ;)
Thanks, bterry! I really want the color that I refinish my new 59 to be era-correct with the tort guard. I had myself convinced that my only options were thus sunburst (which I wasn't going to do given that I already have a keeper 65 JM in sunburst) and olympic white (since its alder and not ash and therefore wouldn't be blonde). But now I have so many more options to consider. Still probably down to olympic white, shoreline gold, yellowed lake placid blue, and maybe a green.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:10 pm

And hey, how about that Champagne sparkle tom and kick drum?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

bterry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bterry » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:27 pm

^^ speaking of which, there is even a blue ‘surf’ sparkle burst gold guard that exists!!

Sky is the limit ;)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:20 pm

:)
Resident Spartan.

lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Post by lalalandstudios » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:23 pm

takeittothemall wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:08 pm
bterry wrote:

Thanks, bterry! I really want the color that I refinish my new 59 to be era-correct with the tort guard. I had myself convinced that my only options were thus sunburst (which I wasn't going to do given that I already have a keeper 65 JM in sunburst) and olympic white (since its alder and not ash and therefore wouldn't be blonde). But now I have so many more options to consider. Still probably down to olympic white, shoreline gold, yellowed lake placid blue, and maybe a green.
Bterry is 100% spot on (as usual) on this description of all the possible permutations.

I know takeittothemall already has a Fiesta red guitar that he plans to keep but Fiesta with tort is mighty nice! I would also consider Sherwood Green which is pretty amazing with the right tort. There is definitely a 59 in Sherwood (with a mint guard and non matching HS) that was at Songbirds in Chattanooga. Gold could be interesting too. These are good decision problems to have - good luck painting that Craig's list score!

blackbox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blackbox » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:37 pm

bterry wrote:

Interesting stuff, didn't know that. Thanks for the knowledge.

offsets4life
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offsets4life » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:39 pm

Seen a couple of Sonic Blue guitars with tort.
No idea if they were "stock" , or not.

I like the idea of that combo.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:27 am

takeittothemall wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:50 am
Sauerkraut wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:41 am
Given how much Ira has modded his amps and that he has a stripped 63 Strat, it seems very possible that his JM is a refin. Do you have a reason to think otherwise?
Not really. I'd be very surprised if it was a refin, just from the looks of it, but my assumption that the tort guard came with it is based on thin air. He could've easily gotten it back when vintage guards didn't cost a fortune yet. I just couldn't resist posting that video.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:35 am

Kevin Shields' famous red JM, on the other hand, is definitely a refin:

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:10 pm

I have a friend that owns a 1961 Sherwood Green JM with a tort guard and plain headstock.

Image photo credit Tommy Moore

I have seen a handful of JM and Jags in Fiesta Red with tort, but the rest were either Oly or Black.