Was there ever any resolution to the Devi Console thing?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Was there ever any resolution to the Devi Console thing?

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:22 pm

I know she kind of fucked up and made a lot of people upset, and I’m not looking to rehash that at all. Wanted to make sure I got that out of the way - so please we don’t need any of that, unless I guess someone cares to give us a nutshell version of what happened if you difinitevly say one way or another.

Anyway, the Console was like the most exciting thing in the world to me, just seemed infinitely cool. When it got announced seems to correlate, to me anyway, with right around the time that a bunch of new pedal companies started coming out of the woodwork and more and more was available every day it seemed. With that, things got more and more pricey, and this thing’s ethos of keeping things affordable but still being able to intuitively use it to make awesome sounds was really attractive.

Did anyone else end up taking over development? From what I remember she’d kind of done the heavy lifting and figured out how to make it all work, just needed builders to commit cartridges or whatever. I might be off and it was just an exciting vaporware thing?

Anyway, super curious about it and bummed it never really panned out. I’d love to hear anything more in depth if any of you happen to be able to share.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Was there ever any resolution to the Devi Console thing?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:51 am

Like you, not trying to rehash old issues, but what happened? I've always heard stuff about Devi Ever, but it must've been before I joined OSG. What was the console supposed to be?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:26 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:22 pm
I know she kind of fucked up and made a lot of people upset, and I’m not looking to rehash that at all.
Honestly I don't know if you can have one without the other, but i'll give it a go. My understanding is that the project is definitively not happening, at least not in the form it was originally presented in by Devi Ever.* Supposedly the design was ready for manufacturing, but the funding ran out due to a mix of design costs and (reasons) that I won't try to untangle or speculate on.

Eventually she sold the company (Devi Ever) and refunded about half of the Kickstarter backers, so whatever capital there was to produce it is obviously long gone. She goes by a different name now and all of the "Devi Ever" social media stuff is operated by the people who currently own the company.

*By this I mean, I don't know if the rights and design materials were sold with the company, or if she retained those individually. If they were sold along with the company, perhaps some day the people who currently operate it might try again.
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:51 am
What was the console supposed to be?
Basically, it was a series of pedals which used swappable cartridges, and the idea was you'd buy the pedal which made up the bulk of the initial cost, and then the cartridges for the type of effects you wanted could be bought seperately. The cartridges would be cheaper than a whole pedal and also take up less space. It would launch with a bunch of Devi Ever-brand cartridges based on some of her effects, and supposedly other boutique pedal builders were on board to offer cartridge versions of their effects as well.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:37 am

It sorta looked like a Sega Genisis and the effects looked like old game carts. It was a great idea.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:46 am

Grey wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:26 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:51 am
What was the console supposed to be?
Basically, it was a series of pedals which used swappable cartridges, and the idea was you'd buy the pedal which made up the bulk of the initial cost, and then the cartridges for the type of effects you wanted could be bought seperately. The cartridges would be cheaper than a whole pedal and also take up less space. It would launch with a bunch of Devi Ever-brand cartridges based on some of her effects, and supposedly other boutique pedal builders were on board to offer cartridge versions of their effects as well.
That's a really cool idea. Is that where all the animosity about her [former] company comes from as well (this project)?

I saw something very similar to that from a company called Elta Music a year or two back...

Elta Cartridge Based Effects
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:32 am

Interesting device, seems like a good idea.

I wonder how many cartridges you can use at a time? I looks like it's only 1 at a time, and if you don't get to decide what 3 effects are on the one chip, it seems a little restrictive. Of course, the quality of the effects also matter.

Nice idea, though. Did it never pan out either?
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:05 pm

There were at least 3 versions, from a single cartridge with a bunch of knobs that could do any number of things to shape the sound, to a dual cartridge/switch/amount of knobs in one enclosure, onto a third cartridge/switch/set of knobs in one enclosure.

It really did seem like an awesome thing and it sucks it never came to fruition. Obviously it exists in some realm like the thing posted above, or like those Line6 pedals that you could switch in and out different effects into a single enclosure with a pretty similar, if not way less attractive/reliable/more bulky and clumsy package (which, honestly, was fucking awesome and the fact that people were constantly having the things stop working with no idea what was wrong/how to fix it allowing me to get some INSANE deals on ‘broken’ pedals that either just had a problem with the enclosure, or the cartridge alone, but never actually broken so worst case scenario I’d end up with a working enclosure or a working cartridge for $10 or something).

I wonder how rough the actual tech is to flesh out? It was probably the most excited I’ve ever been for an effect pedal of any kind and it just dying in the dark seems like a total shame.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:31 pm

if i can remember rightly, devi was going through a lot of personal stuff shortly after. hence why she sold the company to dwarfcraft. the thing is, i remember around that time she was going through a really bad bout of depression. i feel bad that so many people kinda got shafted with the project, but at the same time, the reason i never backed it was because it kinda felt a little bit..... impractical. i think if that kinda idea is ever actually going to work, it needs to be more like an SD card or even like an old walkman tape deck.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:06 pm

The concept was definitely cool to say the least. It never appealed to me, though, because I always just built a pedalboard and then left it the way I liked it...switching my delay into a phaser or a fuzz would mean unplugging and rerouting stuff and then doing it all over again to go back. And remembering where in my chain I liked to insert it with each cartridge...and making sure I had patch cords of the correct length to do all that without physically rearranging pedals.

Too many headaches. Guess I dodged a bullet, but then again I've never backed a kickstarter so I guess I've dodged every bullet that way. They were a huge wave when that scene started and many people were disappointed by projects that folded or just failed to deliver on promises.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

spiffy chap
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spiffy chap » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:30 pm

Yeah unfortunately wasn’t too surprised. Never had a really good track record from what I have seen or read through old threads on numerous forums.

Loved my Devi Ever Spectacular Soda Meiser. Great pedal and had the cool LED attachment twisty arm that would affect the chaos light sensitive expression. Plus had a loop you could activate just as a loop or a feedback loop.

Sucks it didn’t all turn out, but hard to say how many pedal companies were gonna contribute or the real practicality of such a thing.

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:25 am

spiffy chap wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:30 pm
Sucks it didn’t all turn out, but hard to say how many pedal companies were gonna contribute or the real practicality of such a thing.
That's the thing. Cartridge-style or "sound on a chip" type effects do exist (as shown above), and there are also devices where you can load digital presets from a computer, etc. The "hook" with the Devi Ever Console was the amount of "branded" chips it was supposedly going to launch with, based on well-known effects.

On the Kickstarter there was a decent list of companies that had supposedly "expressed interest" but like you say, it's hard to know how many would have actually followed through.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:06 am

God, that's so funny, I was just thinking about this last week.

Shit happens and if she had to eat she had to eat, but she still gots to take her licks for the money people lost on what ended up being vaporware.
This is an excellent rectangle

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:30 am

The whole concept just sounded like a rehash of the Korg PME-40 to me.

You plugged those modules into a pedalboard that held and powered 4 effects. You could swap them out and order them any way you liked.

spiffy chap
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spiffy chap » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:27 am

Grey wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:25 am
spiffy chap wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:30 pm
That's the thing. Cartridge-style or "sound on a chip" type effects do exist (as shown above), and there are also devices where you can load digital presets from a computer, etc. The "hook" with the Devi Ever Console was the amount of "branded" chips it was supposedly going to launch with, based on well-known effects.

On the Kickstarter there was a decent list of companies that had supposedly "expressed interest" but like you say, it's hard to know how many would have actually followed through.
Yes I know, how many people are using them? Maybe they’ve sold some. Those units above are nothing that interests me.

Hard to really say what would’ve happened, just another sad story of boutique builders being over their head.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:53 am

All of these are cool ideas but to me it seems there's too much flexibility lost in routing options for a solution that's only marginally more structured than a pedal board setup. Just my $.02.