Make it loud here.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any love for Vox amps?

Post by somanytoys » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:20 pm

Clicked your link after I posted that. :fp:

Very nice work.

I may try to get my daughter’s boyfriend to “help me” build a better enclosure for my reverb kit one day. I’m not any good at woodworking, but he is and has all the tools. Hopefully I’ll learn some things.

For now my reverb kit is going into my an old rack from the. 90’s that used to house a power amp for my bass rig. I may try to take the carpet off of it and tolex it, it couldnt look any worse with tolex, and I need to practice doing tolex.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:13 am

Jake, did you ever make that milk run and a side veer to check out that Vox?
-David

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:34 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:32 pm
somanytoys wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:54 am
I’m curious to see if this sounds as good as I think it will, especially with the right reverb pedal, on the AC4C1. They may well end up being dedicated to that amp.
I love mine! It's a very warm, organic sounding pedal & the feature that lets you ramp one speed into another is really cool.

As to reverb, I ended up going down the DIY route & built this...

It sounds fucking incredible & has put any remaining reverb GAS to bed, permanently.
Love it! Wonder how. It would look with Vox Grill Cloth?

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:03 am

It’s funny, I was thinking about trying to make one line that, and cover it with a black western tolex with Vox gold piping (similar to my ACxxC1s), and bought the tolex and the piping.

Then I took look on the F bomb reverb website, and they have one done exactly like that. Seeing a completed version makes me want to do it even more now. When I get around to it, it’s going to be badass.

I got the Vibrovox in yesterday, and I’ve been playing around with it a LOT on my AC4C1, along with a chrome Van Range Lord treble booster, a 76 Stacked compressor (just as a placeholder) and a Symphonic Resonance reverb pedal. I know it’s still new and I’m all in honeymoon mode, but it sounds really great, and the ability to have both trem and vibrato (or 2 of each one) is fantastic. I love it.

I also ordered the snake charmer compressor, to dedicate to that amp as well (since it matches the Vibe, what the hell). I read on the ovnilabs website that it’s kind of bass heavy, thick and kind of wacky, to the point that it can get into slow gear territory. But that’s fine with me. I have 2 Bumblebees for that exact purpose, and I’m okay with it using it as an effect rather than an always on thing. I love finding “unintended” uses for pedals.

If the comp is even just half as good as the vibe, I’ll be very happy with it. They look really cool, I just wish they didn’t go with such a huge housing. They’re not EHX DEM huge, but they’re pretty sizey. Worth it, tho.
-David

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:40 pm

Anyone tried the newer black hand wired voxes? Wondering how they compare to the white ones?

Not talking about the 60th anniversary black ones.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:40 pm
Anyone tried the newer black hand wired voxes? Wondering how they compare to the white ones?

I'm interested in that comparison too... Looked on YouTube but couldn't find a comparison of both HW's....

That said, I wouldn't mind having one of the UK Ltd. Edition 60th Anniv. AC15's....

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:13 am

Larsongs wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:07 pm
Unicorn Warrior wrote:

I'm interested in that comparison too... Looked on YouTube but couldn't find a comparison of both HW's....

That said, I wouldn't mind having one of the UK Ltd. Edition 60th Anniv. AC15's....
I know. Those look absolutely fabulous. So expensive unfortunately

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:41 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:13 am
Larsongs wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:07 pm
Unicorn Warrior wrote:

I know. Those look absolutely fabulous. So expensive unfortunately
Yeah, they're in Vintage Price range.... I sure would like to try one of these UK built Ltd Editions out though.... If it's as spot on Spec wise to the originals it's a heckuva Amp! Both AC15 & AC30..

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:45 pm

So, that Vox compressor came in.

It’s pretty crazy versatile, and a lot of the settings seem like they can get a bit extreme, in different ways. I didn’t try to get a lot of sounds with it, just a useable one. Went through some settings that could be interesting, but just dialed in a setting where it sounds better on than off.

I’m thinking that as versatile and kind of extreme as this is, it probably isn’t the best for someone’s first or only compressor. I would have been frustrated with it just 6 months ago, but I feel like I’ve learned a lot about using them lately. More, anyway...

Wish those pedals weren’t so big, but they’re pretty, versatile and very useable, with some tuning.

Carry on.
-David

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:23 am

somanytoys wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:45 pm
So, that Vox compressor came in.

It’s pretty crazy versatile, and a lot of the settings seem like they can get a bit extreme, in different ways. I didn’t try to get a lot of sounds with it, just a useable one. Went through some settings that could be interesting, but just dialed in a setting where it sounds better on than off.

I’m thinking that as versatile and kind of extreme as this is, it probably isn’t the best for someone’s first or only compressor. I would have been frustrated with it just 6 months ago, but I feel like I’ve learned a lot about using them lately. More, anyway...

Wish those pedals weren’t so big, but they’re pretty, versatile and very useable, with some tuning.

Carry on.
I've been using the Janglebox for a few years. I recently bought "The Byrds" 50th Anniv. model. The one endorsed & used by Roger Mc Guinn.. IMO they're as good as they get... Simple to use & sound just like you hear on Records... I especially like their sound with my Ric's thru my Vox Amps...

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:22 am

somanytoys wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:08 pm
I think I’m going to love mine as well. With the tube, it may sound even better than the tank I just replaced on my AC15C1, since it’s solid state.
Any update on the pedal?
somanytoys wrote:
What brand is your kit that you built? That looks really nice.
somanytoys wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:20 pm

Very nice work.
It's the biggest project I've ever tackled, on a par with building an amp, and I'm just glad it worked relatively quickly (after a couple of schoolboy errors with wiring). I've had far less luck with much simpler effects pedals.

Larsongs wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:34 am

I thought about it but opted for grey as, at the time, the Vox stuff was quite hard to find, and expensive.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:43 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:22 am
somanytoys wrote:
I think I’m going to love mine as well. With the tube, it may sound even better than the tank I just replaced on my AC15C1, since it’s solid state.
Any update on the pedal?
somanytoys wrote:
somanytoys wrote:

Very nice work.
It's the biggest project I've ever tackled, on a par with building an amp, and I'm just glad it worked relatively quickly (after a couple of schoolboy errors with wiring). I've had far less luck with much simpler effects pedals.

Larsongs wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:34 am

I thought about it but opted for grey as, at the time, the Vox stuff was quite hard to find, and expensive.
If you're interested you should check out www.northcoastmusic.com

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/s ... /index.htm

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Trout » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:02 am

I was second caller on a 60’s Vox AC4 with original footswitch the other day. Seller was asking 555 $ for it :fp:
#sitdownrock at https://staffanandersson.bandcamp.com/album/det-hemliga-namnet

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:41 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
somanytoys wrote:
Any update on the pedal?
somanytoys wrote:
somanytoys wrote:

Very nice work.
On the Virbavox pedal? Yes, I love it, and I got the snake charmer compressor. I’m enjoying them both, but the Vibravox is more impressive.

I’m about halfway to 3/4 done with the Wave reverb. It’s my first project, and I’m pretty slow at it, and haven’t had the time I need to dedicate to getting some good progress done. Still excited about it, I want to get it finished. And hope it works the first time I try it.

I can’t even imagine trying to work on a pedal, that’s not something I’m going to even try.
-David

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:11 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Any update on the pedal?
somanytoys wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:41 am
On the Virbavox pedal? Yes, I love it, and I got the snake charmer compressor. I’m enjoying them both, but the Vibravox is more impressive.
Fantastic! Glad you like it. I find the difference in settings to be very subtle but what it does do it does very well. Of course the switching between vibrato & tremolo along with the ramping from one speed to the next is a really cool, pretty useable feature.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.