Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Post Reply
User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4921
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:16 pm

I guess I haven't posted this in this thread. 2012 Custom Shop Nocaster. The photo exaggerates the pinkness of the Fiesta Red a little, but it's pretty pink.
Image

User avatar
Tehz_
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:58 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by Tehz_ » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:13 pm

The black pickguard and maple neck probably exaggerate it a bit, as well. But that’s beautiful, fiesta red is my favorite finish!

User avatar
Telliot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10651
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:38 pm
Location: CA

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by Telliot » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:58 am

Still my #1. :-*

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

User avatar
nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 775
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:22 pm
Location: Hell's Kitchen

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by nanamour » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:10 am

Telliot wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:58 am
Still my #1. :-*
:-* No matter how many nice guitars pass through my hands, nothing feels like 'home' like a well-used tele.

User avatar
Maggieo
Expat
Expat
Posts: 11636
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by Maggieo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:41 am

Telliot wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:58 am
Still my #1. :-*

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Goddamn, Todd!! That's drop dead gorgeous.

What's the story behind it?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

User avatar
Telliot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10651
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:38 pm
Location: CA

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by Telliot » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:41 am
Goddamn, Todd!! That's drop dead gorgeous.

What's the story behind it?
Thanks! It's hands down the electric guitar I've owned the longest, but it's changed quite a bit over its lifetime.

It started out as a Road Worn Tele, but I quickly started modding it, starting with Lollar '52s and a Callaham bridge. Then I swapped out the body for an MJT, not once...but twice!! I initially bought a blonde MJT body, which was nice, but it looked too relic'd and it wasn't long before I started really loving the idea of having a hybrid Thinline that retained the Tele switchplate. So I watched eBay for a couple years and finally this body came up and I grabbed it.

The one thing that was untouchable for me was the neck, because the original Road Worn came with a 'U' shaped neck which fits my hand so damn perfectly, and the 50s Tele necks had the deeper recess behind the nut, which (as you know!) is a must for Campilongo-type bends. :-* I eventually sent the neck off to MJT to have it stripped and repainted to look less...fake?...but had him keep the headstock face and decal intact.

The last thing I did was buy a Mojotone pre-wired kit with a 4-way switch, so I have a parallel/series option.

Anyway, it's perfect now, and except for the occasional Bigsby pang, I think it's done. It only took 11 years! :D
Last edited by Telliot on Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

User avatar
Maggieo
Expat
Expat
Posts: 11636
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by Maggieo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Telliot wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:47 pm
Maggieo wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:41 am
Goddamn, Todd!! That's drop dead gorgeous.

What's the story behind it?
Thanks! It's hands down the electric guitar I've owned the longest, but it's changed quite a bit over its lifetime.

It started out as a Road Worn Tele, but I quickly started modding it, starting with Lollar '52s and a Callaham bridge. Then I swapped out the body for an MJT, not once...but twice!! I initially bought a blonde MJT body, which was nice, but it looked too relic'd and it wasn't long before I started really loving the idea of having a hybrid Thinline that retained the Tele switchplate. So I watched eBay for a couple years and finally this body came up and I grabbed it.

The one thing that was untouchable for me was the neck, because the original Road Worn came with a 'U' shaped neck which fits my hand so damn perfectly. I eventually sent the neck off to MJT to have it stripped and repainted to look less...fake?...but had him keep the headstock face and decal intact.

The last thing I did was buy a Mojotone pre-wired kit with a 4-way switch, so I have a parallel/series option.

Anyway, it's perfect now, and except for the occasional Bigsby pang, I think it's done. It only took 11 years! :D
"I love it when a plan comes together!"

There's a bit of "Grandpa's Axe" going on, too. Love it.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

User avatar
Telliot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10651
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:38 pm
Location: CA

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by Telliot » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:57 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:51 pm
There's a bit of "Grandpa's Axe" going on, too. Love it.
Grandpa's Axe or Grandpa's Axe? :whistle:
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4921
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:04 pm

Tehz_ wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:13 pm
The black pickguard and maple neck probably exaggerate it a bit, as well. But that’s beautiful, fiesta red is my favorite finish!
I’m still warming up to the look to be honest, but it’s growing on me.

The sound and the feel are really what sold me on it. It’s super lively and 3D sounding.

User avatar
MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1567
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:06 am

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by MKR » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:19 am

i was just having some fun playing my tele and wanted to resurect this old thread.

here's mine: 2005 MIM with fender N3 pickups and a bigsby. I love everything about it.

Image

an older pic when I had a 3 ply pickguard.
Image

User avatar
August
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by August » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:42 pm

I played double-bound or Nocaster style Ts for ~20 years until discovering (finding/affording) the Jazzmaster. I was jonesing to have my original MIJ '62 back, minus the useless-to-me 7.25" radius and smaller frets, and found a nice looking CVC for dirt cheap. I did my usual setup things: rolled & burnished the fingerboard, fret level and polish, installed and intonated a set of brass barrels, installed electro-socket jack cup etc., and this time installed a set of Vineham Nocaster pickups. It's become a favourite of those I've owned, and definitely sounds better as well.

Image

Possible near-future mod. I've already got the room under the pick guard, but I'm really wanting to find or make or have made a fibrous plastic pickup cover to match/retain the look of the '60s style flatwork material. I don't know why, but it just needs to be this way.

Image
Last edited by August on Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
August
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by August » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:50 pm

Telliot wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:58 am
Still my #1. :-*


Image
Image
Image
That body's a beauty, and I like the sunburst better than most I've seen. Pick guard is a perfect match as well. So this body's an MJT (if I'm reading correctly)?

User avatar
Telliot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10651
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:38 pm
Location: CA

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by Telliot » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:57 pm

August wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:50 pm
That body's a beauty, and I like the sunburst better than most I've seen. Pick guard is a perfect match as well. So this body's an MJT (if I'm reading correctly)?
Thanks, and yes! The pickguard was something I order from them directly, as well. I think it's strange Fender offers these as an official body through a third party but doesn't actually make them available on any of their countless Tele variations. I think this configuration is more attractive than the traditional Thinline, and would sell quite well if it were available.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

User avatar
August
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by August » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:15 pm

Telliot wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:57 pm
August wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:50 pm
That body's a beauty, and I like the sunburst better than most I've seen. Pick guard is a perfect match as well. So this body's an MJT (if I'm reading correctly)?
Thanks, and yes! The pickguard was something I order from them directly, as well. I think it's strange Fender offers these as an official body through a third party but doesn't actually make them available on any of their countless Tele variations. I think this configuration is more attractive than the traditional Thinline, and would sell quite well if it were available.
I couldn't agree more.

User avatar
PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:04 pm

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by PixMix » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:03 pm

So any amazing Teles on this thread. Keep it going.

Here's my contribution: two '52 reissues, the 'proper' one is from AVRI series.


Image

Post Reply