EQD Speaker Cranker?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

EQD Speaker Cranker?

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:32 am

Anyone using one of these? Looking for something at the front of my chain to add bite and mids with a Tele and a JM.

The rest of the dirt section will be an Archer and a squeaky clean boost (Soursound Hundred Dollar boost), so I’m looking for something a little ruder for crunchy sounds and for stacking.

I’ve considered a treble booster too, but I’m concerned that things will get too mushy and/or shrill with a 5-15 watt amp.
Last edited by marqueemoon on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: EQD Speaker Cranker?

Post by nanamour » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:16 am

IME the Speaker Cranker does what you’re after, and does it quite well.

I actually have a great sounding clone gathering dust in my pedal drawer and can send it to you for the price of shipping if you want to try it out. I’m downsizing ahead of a likely move to nyc later this year and have been trying to get rid of it via reverb and local classifieds with no luck—happy to have someone take it off my hands!

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:18 pm

going to be honest, this seems like a good pedal to learn to build yourself and save 100 euros/dollars

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:57 pm

manwithtitties wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:18 pm
going to be honest, this seems like a good pedal to learn to build yourself and save 100 euros/dollars
Yeah, it's only a handful of components. Normally I would advocate for supporting the original builder in lieu of building a copy, but in this case IIRC the Speaker Cranker is already a spin(/rip?)off of the tried and true Electra Distortion, so... :whistle:

But again OP, I'm happy to send you the clone I have kicking around for the cost of shipping; I got it as trade throw-in a while back and just don't have board (or shelf) space for another OD.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:36 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:32 am
Anyone using one of these? Looking for something at the front of my chain to add bite and mids with a Tele and a JM.

The rest of the dirt section will be an Archer and a squeaky clean boost (Soursound Hundred Dollar boost), so I’m looking for something a little ruder for crunchy sounds and for stacking.

I’ve considered a treble booster too, but I’m concerned that things will get too mushy and/or shrill with a 5-15 watt amp.
There’s a good chance a treble booster will do the job you’re after. You just need one with a tone switch (such as the Analogman Beano, Keeley Java, or Jam Rooster ones have, and several other makers) because the “mids” setting really sets single coil pickups alight. I love it.

Cheers!
J.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:11 pm

Yep. Tried the Speaker Cranker and bought a Bows. ;)

The full range setting isn’t very usable to me, but as a treble booter it gets me those Soft Boys jangly toanz by itself and fuzzy cocked wah type stuff pushing the Archer. Pretty fun with the JM rhythm circuit.

The SC was nice though. It was kind of an “a little bit more than a SHO” thing.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:06 am

Interesting (but not surprising) ,that you settled on the Bows.

I built a bunch of Electra and Speaker Cranker variants. In my experience, I found the stock Speaker Cranker a bit dull, muffled sounding and lacking significant punch in the mids department; so I got in to tweaking the circuit and settled on a hybrid Electra/Treble/Full-booster. It's based on the Electra/Speaker Cranker, but I mismatched the clipping section so it has a light but gritty, vintage-like bite to it, and the extra knob pushes the EQ so it's a full-blown bass booster to the left; and a treble-booster to the right. The bass-booster side can get really sub-y and the grit gets pretty wooly. Not quite a fuzz... but right on the edge. Somewhere on either side of noon tends to be the sweet spots...
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.