Future Vintage: Predict currently cheap stuff that’ll skyrocket in value eventually

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Future Vintage: Predict currently cheap stuff that’ll skyrocket in value eventually

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:24 pm

I talk a lot about the fact that most of the shit I care about is stuff that for long stretches of time people didn’t care about/regularly bashed but eventually became expensive and thus unattainable for me mostly. Sunn amps, original Jaguars and Jazzmasters, etc. it really seems like mostly everything that was ever going to get discovered and have its prices inflated stupidly has already had that happen, but maybe not?

Post stuff yr into that is affordable at this moment that you think one day will join the ranks of, say, the Starcaster. I’ll start!

Peavey T60 - what to me is basically a Telecaster Deluxe thats way too heavy, this guitar is fucking awesome, solid, and hopefully one day will sell for $5,000

Here’s mine. I honestly wanna get more of them and mod them in insane ways like the one poster with all the Super Sonics. I’d like to route out some of the weight and put in a delay or something, maybe mirror the pick guard design on the other side? So many options that I’m surprised to not see these all over the place with insane mod jobs.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thread to predict currently cheap stuff that’ll skyrocket in value eventually

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:23 am

^^^

I think you're onto something there. Any of the old Peavey T series seems like it fits the bill.
This is an excellent rectangle

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thread to predict currently cheap stuff that’ll skyrocket in value eventually

Post by soggy mittens » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:46 am

On this topic how good was 2013-2014? x)

I'm struggling to think of anything I'd consider affordable considering how broke I am.

Even patch cables are ridiculous. >_>
If OSG has tort me anything...

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:10 am

The Peavey T-series have been going up in price for five to ten years on speculating, but they will fade fast once the kids who originally played them pass away.

The key with all the out of favor but will be collectible is that they are very difficult to figure out. Two main forces:

1) If a guitar player buys a certain guitar in pawn/ebay cheap because no one wants it and then that player becomes famous, that guitar model becomes in demand. Examples: 57,8,9 Les Pauls with Led Zeppelin (and a few others), Hendrix and Strats, ACDC and SGs, EVH and modded shredders, Kobain and Jaguars/Jagstangs.

2) guitar of their youth: Players in their 40s-60s get more nostalgic and seek out the guitars they played as teens. Of course, taking those cheap starter guitars and doing a full fret level and good setup plus running them through an adult's real job funds-bought amp makes those old guitars sound amazing.

Lastly, don't mod anything. All the collector guitars are immediately worth half price if some mod like refinish, or routing, or unsoldering/replacing pots/pickups/etc. The collector market wants all original.

My guess is that in 30 years, First Act, Harley Benton, Glarry, Chapman, and a few others will be solid contenders for collectible status. Be the rock star who makes them famous and you'll have a mint!

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:52 am

I think Gibson faded series (especially Flying Vs and Explorers) will eventually go up in value, just like firebrand series did. These are usually pretty cool (I use a 2010 faded V as one of my main guitars because it's really, really good) instruments and they did hit the bottom of the price range already.
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:52 am

Kinx wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:52 am
I think Gibson faded series (especially Flying Vs and Explorers) will eventually go up in value, just like firebrand series did. These are usually pretty cool (I use a 2010 faded V as one of my main guitars because it's really, really good) instruments and they did hit the bottom of the price range already.
My best friend’s first year Faded SG was the first guitar I’ve ever lusted over and they’re already being sold at 1.5x their original retail price. To be fair, it’s only the first year ones with the ebony board and crescent moon inlays, but still.

Also this doesn’t have to be limited to music stuff, I just think that was an easy place to start because I could think of so many examples in that realm. At this point we’re nearing 1/2 and 1/2 in terms of time that people made fun of something like the Jazzmaster until people started loving them and them becoming important.

I think digital delay is gonna decidedly take over the market in the next 10 years. I remember back in the 2000s everybody wanted/was making analog reissues/tributes/whatever and the only people I ever heard praise digital were old hair metal chuds for having “no noise.” It’s weird, but the lo-fi aesthetic that has dominated so much of my culture consuming time is being weeded out it feels like.
Last edited by Mechanical Birds on Tue May 05, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wil_66
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wil_66 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:54 pm

Kinx wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:52 am
The Les Paul Doublecut already has, I bought one new in '03 for $479... Now they're quite a bit more. As for the T-60, probably not... Nobody famous that i know of played one. The only player that comes to mind is Johnny Copeland. In fact I bought a very early T-60 years ago, it says "Patent Applied For" on the head stock and all I can think is, WHY can't I be reading that on a set of LP pups :D

AwesomeWelles
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AwesomeWelles » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:43 am

I think Gibson Firebirds up until 2017 that still have the traditional 'dovetail' headstock will go up...at least until Gibson gets rid of the new ugly one

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:08 am

You're kind of conflating two separated and not-entirely-unrelated things: cool hunting, and price speculation.

I think the peavey T-stuff topped out a couple of years ago, and unless someone becomes famous for using them or someone famous starts using them I'd be surprised if they become more desirable. There aren't enough PV KVLT folks around to drive prices up any higher than they've already gone. There isn't the same crossover between multiple collector/player markets that happened with offsets or Sunn stuff to keep accelerating the prices. No one really used those guitars, and I don't think there are enough peavey collectors out there trying to have one of everything to influence the market.

It seems like sort of a golden age for boutique stuff at the moment, so I would imagine buying up used Spectras/Bilts/Fanos/Novos/Collings/etc is not a terrible idea. At least one of the 6 billion small builders will become desirable in the next decade and hopefully if you spread your bets smartly and pick a winner you can make back that investment when there's a run (see: danocaster).

Maybe stock up on St V guitars.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:19 am

We can guess.
There’s a combination factors for something skyrocketing (or sputtering up) in price.
- Utility. Does it do something well?
- Value. Is it a good deal, even if more than originally cost new?
- Rarity / scarcity. Can you still get it? Was it always difficult to get?
- Speculation. Do people think they’ll make money on it?
- Nostalgia?
- Aura/hype? Is some famous player using it? Is it somehow cool in itself?
- Inflation (general and internet-driven)

The little Roland boutique JU-06, for example, was a limited edition synth that did what it does pretty well. It sold out fairly quickly and prices skyrocketed (close to double new price) before tanking when they released an updated version. The TR-09 (remake of a TR-909) is selling for above the new cost ($450 or so used), but you can still get the TR-08 used for $250. Is the Phil Collins sound worth the extra $200? The Moog Moogerfooger pedals have totally shot up, too.

I think of things like the 90s-00s Fender Toronado (Deluxe) being a great deal, but they never seemed to catch on. (Prices have gone up, though). MIJ Jazzmasters are at least twice what they were a few years back. The MIJ J Mascis Jazzmaster has gotten crazy expensive. Will the Squier ones follow? People seem to love them… I don’t know of anyone talking about the Peavey T-60 without mentioning “value” or “price” (or “heavy”), so I’m skeptical of people fetishizing it in the future. (I don’t see anyone getting enamored with Peavey stuff. A little nostalgic maybe, but that’s it. And I grew up playing Peavey stuff). But, if you buy one and enjoy it while waiting to cash in, that’s the main point of this all anyway.

FMD
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by FMD » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:13 am

jvin248 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:10 am

The key with all the out of favor but will be collectible is that they are very difficult to figure out. Two main forces:

1) If a guitar player buys a certain guitar in pawn/ebay cheap because no one wants it and then that player becomes famous, that guitar model becomes in demand. Examples: 57,8,9 Les Pauls with Led Zeppelin (and a few others), Hendrix and Strats, ACDC and SGs, EVH and modded shredders, Kobain and Jaguars/Jagstangs...
I just came here to post "Any oddball pawn shop equipment that Jack White or Dan Auerbach decides to buy".

Severed Hand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Severed Hand » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:45 pm

Ibanez cs505 chorus pedal’s are pretty underrated I think they might appreciate over time. It sounds almost exactly like a boss ce1 at 1/4 of the price.

Very musical and not cheesy like a lot of chorus pedals can sound.

postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by postchrist » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:21 pm

musicmaster bass amps i guess have started to jump, but still occasionally sell for $300-350 which i think is pretty dirt cheap for how good they can sound. have been following these for years curious as to if they’ll go up in price. especially considering the rising cost of handwired, solid construction tube amps, i imagine many of the amps of yesteryear that still sell pretty cheap will eventually rise.

also, maybe the sheer number of jc-120s out there is enough to keep the price low? or the fact that they’re still being made... but they still go for $450/500 all day long, which to me seems low/is great. :D

these things are hard to predict though, i feel like one of the main factors is continued production/new productions of a product - like, if tomorrow fender stopped making any sort of bass vi below custom shop, i imagine prices on vm and cv models would go up drastically. that and celebrity endorsement... ya never know!
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

FMD
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by FMD » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:10 pm

postchrist wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:21 pm
musicmaster bass amps i guess have started to jump, but still occasionally sell for $300-350 which i think is pretty dirt cheap for how good they can sound. have been following these for years curious as to if they’ll go up in price. especially considering the rising cost of handwired, solid construction tube amps, i imagine many of the amps of yesteryear that still sell pretty cheap will eventually rise.
I swear they used to be $100 (or less) until Dan Auerbach mentioned them (see my previous post). I haven't really been following the pricing for a bit, but I thought they were going for >$400 for beat up examples, with nice ones going for more than 5 bills.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:29 pm

FMD wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:10 pm
postchrist wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:21 pm
I swear they used to be $100 (or less) until Dan Auerbach mentioned them (see my previous post). I haven't really been following the pricing for a bit, but I thought they were going for >$400 for beat up examples, with nice ones going for more than 5 bills.
I don’t know when he mentioned them but they jumped on price here maybe 10-15 years ago (from $200 to $350) and are now $400-500. (Mrs Cestlamort got hers for $99 in SF in the late 90s). But I just saw a vibrochamp listed at $995(mike and mike) so maybe everything is expensive these days / trickle down price hikes as the Princeton reverbs et al get more expensive. (Maybe the big SF Fender amps are the bargains of the future?!)

I think the Ibanez UE multieffects are still a deal (vs individual pedals).
The boss dm2w for less than $100 used is amazing, same goes for the DD-2/3 delays and old boss reverbs.