Tremolo Pedal. Which one do you use?

Make it loud here.
mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tremolo Pedal. Which one do you use?

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:23 am

Someday, in a perfect world, someone will make a trem pedal that replicates the tremolo effect in the Ace Tone Mighty-5 amplilfier.

THAT is a tremolo effect. Smooth and dark. Tubey and full of life. Like an old Fender amp tremolo, but spookier.
This is an excellent rectangle

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:09 am

As a surf musician - I've tried many trems at one point or another. Surfy Trem is the best I've tried. It goes faster and slower than my 61 Showman. I keep the amp on the fastest trem setting and the surfy on slow setting so I have both territories covered.

That fender tre verb though seems enticing though.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:05 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:20 am
I love the PN-2. A friend years ago had one, this was even after they'd discontinued them, and he was absolutely gleeful to own one. I still haven't owned one myself, though I've played through one enough times. I did have the behringer copy, which wasn't bad, but not great either. Just not as much character as the boss pedal. Also the knobs were cheap so all the change in the sound was packed into like 1/4 of the travel. Way to use the wrong kind of pots, there, Behringer.

Now I just use the trem effects in my CDR. I still want the PN-2, even though I have the same functionality with the Zoom pedal. It's not a PN-2, though.

The TR-2, though... I've never understood how people can be satisfied with them, they just sound lifeless to me.
I’ve never tried a PN-2, but have read enough about it to know that this is one of the golden Boss pedals that they should have reissued years and years ago. Like with certain others, they instead allowed the used market to go crazy on them with an ever diminishing supply, when they could have absorbed some of that market back years ago. But it left a lot of room for some other good makers to come out with nice stuff.

It’s good that they’re doing their waza thing, and re-issuing + improving on some favorites, but there’s no reason they should have waited so long, and have been so slow about what they’re putting out in the waza line. I would never go looking for an old DC-2, after having the waza.

I wasn’t too impressed with the TR-2 either, but some people seem to like it enough, even now. I quickly moved on to the TC Nova Mod, which isn’t bad at all, and you can have both sides set to tremolo, at different speeds, used independently or together, and it’s stereo.

Eventually I moved on to the Fulltone, which is true stereo. It’s probably not as versatile as some others, like the Caroline and Strymon tremolos, and may not be as warm as some others, but it works well for me.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:00 pm

I had a PN-2 and loved it. Then I started tremolo picking and I noticed random pick attacks were getting silenced. It must have been muting for milliseconds but I’d hit that mute and it sounded like I missed a stroke. Got a Fulltone SupaTrem2 next and stopped having that problem. Now I can’t even find that old PN-2!

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:46 pm

You should try to find it, you’d probably make almost as much money by selling it as a 12 pack of toilet paper and a 20 oz bottle of Purell right is going for right now! Haha

I’m no tremolo expert, but I really like the Supatrem2 and the Vox Vibrovox trem/vibe.
-David

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:53 pm

I know I’ve looked many times! I even asked a pal if I’d loaned it to him - twice! Recently and several years ago. I don’t think I loaned it out...

JSutter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSutter » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:18 am

I had a TR-2 and it's cheap clone. It needed a volume control, it was too quiet.

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beauzooka » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:07 am

Strymon Flint for me. Has awesome verb too!

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:34 am

beauzooka wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:07 am
Strymon Flint for me. Has awesome verb too!
i've owned three over the years: EHX big box Pulsar (excellent and tons of sounds), Dano Tuna Melt (dirt cheap and good, well regarded as a gem of the old "Diner Menu" line), and now the Flint. the Flint's spendy, but as mentioned you're getting some excellent reverbs in the bargain so maybe a better way to think of it is two $150 pedals in one box.

i see Keeley has entered the verb-trem space now too, with two version of the aptly named "Verb O Trem"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvcm18Iw1UI
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:15 am

I tried about 1000 trem pedals for a few weeks last year, I ended up going for the TC Electronic Choka! It really depends what you’re after, but I use amp reverb and a reverb pedal(Oceans 11 and Boss Rv5) so it was a separate trem pedal I wanted. I had the Boss Tr2, preferred the Choka.

Quite a surfy sound I’m after and the Choka does what I’m after very well.

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:37 am

I've been using a Frantone Vibutron for years, and despite having other pedals and amps with trem in them, I always seem to revert to the Vibutron, which has a great range of adjustment, and different waveforms.
The obvious exception is the built-in trem in my '65 twin reverb, which is more mellow than the one in the reissue twin reverb or the quad.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:21 am

Yesterday I got the pedal board set up with three tremolos! Effectrode Tube Vibe, Effectrode Delta-Trem, and Fulltone SupaTrem2. I run mono before reverb to the first two, then split and run wet / dry through the Fulltone.

The Tube Vibe is exactly like the brownface harmonic vibrato. I rarely use it. The Delta-Trem is a subtle pre-reverb trem, the kind that only comes out during sustained notes. Then the post-reverb SupaTrem2 is a super dramatic effect that I use when I really want the effect to be loud and proud.

Now that it’s set up, I have to wait for this virus crap to be over before I can use it with a full band! I guess that’s a 1st world problem, so sorry about that. I’m not really that worked up about it but it’s text y’know? Let’s say I’m very excited to use it next practice, whenever that is. I hope that is acceptable.

Dan

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:58 pm

Is the Delta Trem subtle on its own, or is that just how you have it set?

That’s interesting, I never thought about using different tremolo pedals in line. I’ve used both tremolos, on 2 different speed settings, on the VibroVox, and I’ve used both engines set to tremolo on different speeds on the Nova Mod. I can see the potential there.
(Both of those pedals have vibrato, too, so I don’t usually use them with both sides set to tremolos.)

The Supatrem 2 can also be used in subtle ways, but that just seems like such a waste...
-David

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:47 am

The Delta-Trem is a mystery. No matter what the minimal manual says, it seems to have a mind of its own. The effect is barely audibel on almost every setting. It wasn’t until I let some notes ring out that I really heard it. That’s when I realized it needed to be part of the pedal board forever, but it was also never going to be very dramatic. It not only adds that little vibe on the tails (reverb and string sustains), it also seems to make it more “tubey” sounding. Not just warmer but fuller, but just a touch. There are 48 patterns of trem but other than the main one that every trem has, I’m not foreseeing much use for the others. The other patterns seem to only like sustained stuff.

If I put the Delta-Trem on at the same time as the SupaTrem2 (warble setting, about 3 o’clock) MAN it sounds really awesome! Really smooth and hypnotic, yet with that SupaTrem2 hammering the reverb on the wet channel. I can’t explain it but it’s sooo much cooler than just the SupaTrem2, but not all the time.

The Delta-Trem switching, just like the other Effectrode pedal The Tube Vibe, absolutely sucks. Not workable in the real-time world. So I put them both on a Gigrig Quartermaster remote switch, now the switching is smooth. I put the Quartermaster right next to the SupaTrem2 so I can hit both pedals at the same time, but only if I’m very coordinated.

tonio
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tonio » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:31 pm

T-rex tremster for me! Really on the fender side, and built like a tank. Can also be used as a clean boost when speed and depth set to zero.