Future Vintage: Predict currently cheap stuff that’ll skyrocket in value eventually

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Jimjam
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Thread to predict currently cheap stuff that’ll skyrocket in value eventually

Post by Jimjam » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:03 pm

Pepe Silvia wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:31 am
What's so special about the early CVs?
Probably nothing exceptional.

I guess sometimes you get a combination of unusual colors, first year/first edition, "exclusivity" after being discontinued, etc.

I'm basing that on what i see second hand examples go for, sometimes more than what the retail price was.

I guess skyrocket in this example is probably out of the question, how far can a model still in production, in one way or another, skyrocket? But it could be a bit more desirable within knowledgable circles, if thats makes sense.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thread to predict currently cheap stuff that’ll skyrocket in value eventually

Post by Pepe Silvia » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:06 pm

Jimjam wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:03 pm
Pepe Silvia wrote:

I guess sometimes you get a combination of unusual colors, first year/first edition, "exclusivity" after being discontinued, etc.

I'm basing that on what i see second hand examples go for, sometimes more than what the retail price was.

I guess skyrocket in this example is probably out of the question, how far can a model still in production, in one way or another, skyrocket? But it could be a bit more desirable within knowledgable circles, if thats makes sense.
What was changed after the first year? I had a Sonic Blue MIC CV Jazzmaster that I bought for like $170 open box from musicians friend and was lucky to get that back when i sold it

Jimjam
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jimjam » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Pepe Silvia wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:06 pm
Jimjam wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:03 pm
Pepe Silvia wrote:

What was changed after the first year? I had a Sonic Blue MIC CV Jazzmaster that I bought for like $170 open box from musicians friend and was lucky to get that back when i sold it
Apologies Pepe, I probably wasn't clear.

I didn't originally post on the Squire CV stuff, so I am unsure as to what has changed.

But I do agree with the original commenter, however I was thinking more of already discontinued models:

Squier Tele w/Jazzmaster neck (forget the name)
Squier Cabronita (w/ and without bigsby)
Squier 24/75" Thinline Tele
etc.

I do know the Squier Mustang with the chunky neck has now changed to the slimmer neck.

But i do think your sonic blue will/would've become desirable.

I couldn't give away a Squier Vista Musicmaster bass in surf green 15 years ago, even a couple of years ago i was struggling to shift a Squire Venus in surf green, now i'd have to pay triple to get them back.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri May 01, 2020 12:33 am

But those are also Japanese guitars without modern equivalents that are a lot more one of a kind, in the Venus case anyway. I think the Vistas were always sort of a case of something that was way undervalued. Could totally be the case with the ones you mentioned, too. I didn’t know they made a bunch of different neck’d teles out there

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Fri May 01, 2020 12:44 am

Pepe Silvia wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:06 pm
That mas a VM Jazzmaster made in Indonesia. There has never been a Squier Jazzmaster made in China. The current CV Jazzmasters are also from Indonesia, in fact they just changed some minor specs of the VM series and called it Classic Vibe again. Probably because the old MIC CV series got such a good reputation over time.
Pepe Silvia wrote:
Very good quality at an originally very affordable price. That's about it, I guess.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Fri May 01, 2020 3:18 am

My bad. It was a VM Jazzmaster. I get them mixed up.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Fri May 01, 2020 5:19 am

Treadmills...I had 40 enquiries in 24 hours when selling my old one this week... and I sold it for double what I paid for it.

postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by postchrist » Fri May 01, 2020 1:21 pm

windmill wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:06 pm
The type of archtops you refer to were at the lower end of the range when they were made and as such price will be governed by what the top of the line models sell for, and they are relatively common compared to the top of the line.

And then there is the arguement that a modern guitar at the same price may be a better instrument, and without any age-related problems, than what was a "budget" guitar in the first place. Just because it is old doesnt always mean it is good.

However if you get the chance, play as many as the old gibsons as you can, I like mine.

:)
i suppose so! i just think it’s something of a unique market in that it’s a bit of a lost art, solid top archtops are made in increasingly small numbers now... but i’m biased towards them for sure, and know i’m in the minority there. i think it might just be how they fit my voice, i’m not a jazz guy at all but i’d take an old l48 over a j45 any day.

i think in terms of quality, though, “budget” is a bit of a stretch for most of the ones i’m referring to - the cuts were in size and “frills” from what i can gather. i could very well be wrong though.
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

Iheartreverb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Iheartreverb » Fri May 08, 2020 2:17 am

Whoever is responsible for this thing of Japanese offsets now going over a grand used has a lot to answer for. Theres so much new and vintage (mainly 70's) stuff out there thats got to be worth that money more. I gained £200 in less than a year of acquiring and selling on a Japanese Jazzmaster- but that wasn't to make profit particularly, just to make space for something else and selling at what was average at that time- which is now higher again.

Really wish that I had picked up one of those Squier Jarman Musuars(?) at the time, seen one or two used since then and both have been around the price of what they were new if not more.

I've been following Musticmaster guitars for a little bit now and they seemed to have moved from being around £700/£800 to 1K or more.

Its been discussed but AVRI offsets have now crept up also.

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Francer » Fri May 08, 2020 6:12 am

Anything with a great reputation that becomes scarce or discontinued.

J Mascis JMs with rosewood boards maybe?

Danocasters, we can already see what happened to used prices when he scaled back production recently.

Wouldn’t it be ironic if in the future people start taking old Fenders and trying to pass them off as Danocasters.

guitarsammy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by guitarsammy » Sun May 10, 2020 5:43 am

Squier 51 might be a good shout, too?

MotorBongo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MotorBongo » Wed May 13, 2020 3:02 pm

Francer wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:12 am
J Mascis JMs with rosewood boards maybe?
Thought to see that the çreme body-paint even already starts to 'age'.... ('show cracked lines', for lack of a better description) ... that's quick! :)
www.motorbongo.nl

postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by postchrist » Wed May 13, 2020 5:38 pm

would be kinda nice to see the gear market crash a bit for a while. it’s inflated to a point that i find kinda fucking ridiculous since the birth of reverb. pedals shouldn’t sell used for 80-90% of what they go for new, musicmasters shouldn’t cost $1k+. the local craigslist has been really weird the past month. lots in the way of steals right now - $500 for a ‘70s mm bass, a jagstang sold for $300 a few days back. some squiers going for 1/4 what they cost new.

interesting how some higher end/“in” pieces remain predictable, while others drop around them. old jazzmasters and jaguars seem to be steady, while coronados are creeping back down to the $1000 mark here and there, where they had been gaining a lot of traction into the 2k area for a while(EDIT - side note, i think in the states and elsewhere a lot of this has to do with the way economic instability affects certain buyers. collectors interested in $20,000 telecasters are roughly untouched by a crisis of this sort, where a laid off bartender looking for a squier cv jag is likely not willing to risk missing rent to buy one). plenty of good deals on the gc used site have just been sitting for a fat minute(which, to be fair, they get you with shipping and taxes, but a mustang special sat at $550 for a couple weeks, and their vintage section is looking pretty cheap in general).

more relevant, i imagine old tube amps of most sorts will continue to climb(at least relative to the market). my only real reasoning being “they don’t make em like they used to”, unless you spend $1.5-3k. any great “bargain mic” that goes out of production will likely become very sought after, oktava mk-012s and the like. i think though, a lot of these things rest on what continues to be produced and what doesn’t, and what changes manufacturers make to their products over time. i imagine if strats had been made and spec’d identically since the 50s, you’d be hard pressed to get 25k for your 1958.

sorry to ramble! i should do some proper research and write a paper on this instead.
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu May 14, 2020 5:32 am

postchrist wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:38 pm
would be kinda nice to see the gear market crash a bit for a while. it’s inflated to a point that i find kinda fucking ridiculous since the birth of reverb. pedals shouldn’t sell used for 80-90% of what they go for new, musicmasters shouldn’t cost $1k+. the local craigslist has been really weird the past month. lots in the way of steals right now - $500 for a ‘70s mm bass, a jagstang sold for $300 a few days back. some squiers going for 1/4 what they cost new.

interesting how some higher end/“in” pieces remain predictable, while others drop around them. old jazzmasters and jaguars seem to be steady, while coronados are creeping back down to the $1000 mark here and there, where they had been gaining a lot of traction into the 2k area for a while(EDIT - side note, i think in the states and elsewhere a lot of this has to do with the way economic instability affects certain buyers. collectors interested in $20,000 telecasters are roughly untouched by a crisis of this sort, where a laid off bartender looking for a squier cv jag is likely not willing to risk missing rent to buy one). plenty of good deals on the gc used site have just been sitting for a fat minute(which, to be fair, they get you with shipping and taxes, but a mustang special sat at $550 for a couple weeks, and their vintage section is looking pretty cheap in general).

more relevant, i imagine old tube amps of most sorts will continue to climb(at least relative to the market). my only real reasoning being “they don’t make em like they used to”, unless you spend $1.5-3k. any great “bargain mic” that goes out of production will likely become very sought after, oktava mk-012s and the like. i think though, a lot of these things rest on what continues to be produced and what doesn’t, and what changes manufacturers make to their products over time. i imagine if strats had been made and spec’d identically since the 50s, you’d be hard pressed to get 25k for your 1958.

sorry to ramble! i should do some proper research and write a paper on this instead.
i can only speak for the uk but god damn i hate what reverb has done to the market here and i wish sellers would stop using ebay prices as gospel rather than a guide. so last year, i bought a wem dominator 25. it was in good condition and i got a great deal on it (£125 and a rodan cd) about the same time i got that, a local guitar shop got a better condition dominator 25 and was trying to sell it for £400 aka reverb prices. at one point, i was having money issues so i sold it and the first thing i learned was they're a hard sell. the best price i could get was £275. so i made a good profit on it. however i have noticed that this guitar shop hasn't really dropped the price on theirs even when i told them how much of a hard sell they are...... with the excuse "well reverb prices"

another example is there is a clothes shop that has a jmp as a prop, ive been trying to buy it for 2 years. because i dunno if it works or if it's even got the circuit in it, i've made an offer of £300. the dude keeps saying "but on reverb they're listed at £1200" and you always have to say "listen, that might be what a collector is willing to pay for one, but given the condition and the lack of history with that one, only idiots will want to buy it"
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

fartboy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by fartboy » Thu May 14, 2020 5:43 am

Been shocked to see how much the 90s Squier Musicmaster basses have started being posted for sale for. They don't seem to be selling, like.