new dressing room? new features?

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
dfmb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: new dressing room? new features?

Post by dfmb » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:19 pm

Hello everyone, just joined the site (it's great)

I wanted to post here and ask if there was any possibility of adding a Mosrite body shape to the dressing room?

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:15 pm

dfmb wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:19 pm
Hello everyone, just joined the site (it's great)

I wanted to post here and ask if there was any possibility of adding a Mosrite body shape to the dressing room?
they're not offset and not fender. as much as I'd love to see it (former mosrite owner) I'd like the laundry list of update requests like electric xii, colors, and other finish stuff to propagate into the dressing room.

i'm surprised no one has created a similar function for other types of guitars. kisekae back in the day was neat, but the osg dressing room was always the best.
Last edited by hexes on Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:18 pm

double posted

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:09 am

I was a big fan of Kisekae back in the day, now I work in graphic design so I do my mockups myself if I have some ideas.

There was a Jackson Custom Shop guitar builder back in the day, which was quite cool IIRC.

I'd love to be able to build a dressing room/guitar builder similar to what Halo Custom guitars has :
https://www.haloguitars.com/store/custom-guitars.html

They also have a 3D one for their archtop models (with very few features, I suppose it's more work to add them in)
https://www.haloguitars.com/store/custo ... itars.html

I think the same building base is used by Balaguer guitars :
https://www.balaguerguitars.com/product ... nebuilder/

I don't have the coding know-how to know what the system is called, or how to build one myself. Inspecting the code in Halo and Balaguer didn't reveal anything to someone like me who only knows HTML/CSS 101 :D

The Offset Dressing Room being flash-based, we'd have to build it from scratch to make it work in 2020, I guess ? I still use the Frank Montag guitar editor one in a while (when I wonder how to mod my SG), and it might be the last Flash website I still use. I think he built a custom editor for Kauer Guitars back in the day also, but it's long offline.

There's a lot more guitar builders on the Internet, but none have as much features as the Halo/Balaguer, or are as cool as the Offset Dressing Room :D

reserves
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by reserves » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:43 pm

What did the dressing room actually do, allow you to choose colours, pick guard etc?

Anyone got a screenshot?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:24 pm

reserves wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:43 pm
What did the dressing room actually do, allow you to choose colours, pick guard etc?

Anyone got a screenshot?
Basically, yes. In an Adobe Flash-based (shudder) widget.

It still exists but is no longer linked from the main page: http://www.offsetguitars.com/dressing_room/

It is not currently being maintained, and has not been for a long time.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

reserves
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by reserves » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:29 pm

Thanks. Will take a look when on Laptop

blunderbuss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blunderbuss » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:09 am

Adobe Flash is officially EOL. I’m guessing this is down forever.
Ryan

Norrin Radd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Norrin Radd » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:03 am

blunderbuss wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:09 am
Adobe Flash is officially EOL. I’m guessing this is down forever.
"Adobe Flash Player EOL General Information Page

Since Adobe no longer supports Flash Player after December 31, 2020 and blocked Flash content from running in Flash Player beginning January 12, 2021, Adobe strongly recommends all users immediately uninstall Flash Player to help protect their systems."

It's looking that way. Unless it gets written for something other than Flash.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:47 pm

Flash is definitely, finally, properly dead (good riddance).

I'm not sure if the original creator of the 'dressing room' (Jonas I think?) is still an active participant of the forum, so would probably require someone (else) to rebuild using something a bit more current.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:58 pm

Flash hung on there for way too long, but it's sad that this is dead from a historical as well as practical standpoint.

I feel like someone could have 90% of the work done for them if they just reverse-engineered Fender's Mod Shop site and used their own image assets to avoid legal peril, though.

It doesn't have the variety of pickup choices or aging levels, but it has a good chunk of the options that existed on the old Dressing Room site and if you understood enough to reverse-engineer that, I'd have to imagine that changing pickup shapes instead of just colours and aging overlays instead of just colours would be a simple task.

I've definitely used the Mod Shop to approximate things that I might have used the Dressing Room for in the past. Depending on what you're trying to do, it can be surprisingly helpful.

It also has the side-effect of being potentially expensive, but you then realize how close you could just get a Mod Shop guitar to what you had envisioned, and the "order now" button is just staring you in the face, tempting you.

But then you realize they don't ship to Canada, so you wonder if any American friends would be willing to receive and re-ship it.

Am I getting too specific here?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:18 am

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:58 pm
I feel like someone could have 90% of the work done for them if they just reverse-engineered Fender's Mod Shop site and used their own image assets to avoid legal peril, though.
This.
If someone who knows their stuff is up for the coding part, based on the mod shop or the halo/balaguer I posted up thread, I'd be down to do some of the image assets if I know which formats/sizes are needed. Just can't wrap my head around code, and I've tried!

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:25 pm

Flurko wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:18 am
This.
If someone who knows their stuff is up for the coding part, based on the mod shop or the halo/balaguer I posted up thread, I'd be down to do some of the image assets if I know which formats/sizes are needed. Just can't wrap my head around code, and I've tried!
I code and a long time ago I posted asking if there was anybody willing to supply all the possible images and nobody stepped up back then. I still don't know how to manipulate color on objects with HTML or JS, which is probably doable, so I'd go old school taking a bunch of cuts of images on the right colors and just switching them as the user selects their configuration.

If I had the assets I could start building something. We could start with one model and see how it goes, like a jazzmaster for example. I reckon if we wanted to do a list of assets needed for this, it would be something like these images:

- body for all the colors without trem or bridge so we could add / remove options
- each pickguard choice without pickups and best without any switches, also to make it possible to add / remove what swicthes go there, like traditional rhythm circuit or 3 way switch
- individual images for each pickup available
- all possible switch configurations to lay on top of the pickguard
- trem and bridge options
- different headstock shapes and logos, also in every color available for bodies
- maple and rosewood necks, bound and not bound
- different combination of dots and block inlays (clay, mop, white, abalone, etc)

I think it's a start. The idea is that all the assets would have matching sizes to be able to be combined and laid on top of each other if that's the case. Then on the coding side, it would be just lots of switches that would hide, show certain images.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

blunderbuss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blunderbuss » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:05 pm

leokula wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:25 pm

I think it's a start. The idea is that all the assets would have matching sizes to be able to be combined and laid on top of each other if that's the case. Then on the coding side, it would be just lots of switches that would hide, show certain images.
I think the The Mod Shop is SVG assets so JS is likely just replacing the stroke and fill properties of the image with new colors.
Ryan

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:58 am

You could also start with the assets from the original dressing room by decompiling the .swf and extracting the images.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/225 ... swf-viewer

This is something I can help with if someone here would find it useful.