Strat trem with separate bridge

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
MelWaldorf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Strat trem with separate bridge

Post by MelWaldorf » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:33 pm

Hi all. Normally a lurker here, but I've been working on something folks here might find interesting.

Basically, I've been curious if it's possible to use a Stratocaster trem bridge, but only as a tremolo, with a separate bridge. Turns out you can.

With that in mind, I set out to create a Strat for people who really like Jags and JMs but want a Strat trem. OK, that's probably just me, but hey.

The Strat trem I used is a Wilkinson WVS50, which I used because it was the model that looked the least stupid as a trem. I installed an ESP arming adjuster to help the trem return to pitch after pulling up on the arm.

The neck and bridge pickups are my own design, which I call "Off Kiltertrons" - they're asymmetrical, dual bobbin, multi-coil pickups that work with a six way rotary switch to give you three single coil settings - Jangle (sort of Ric--ish), Twangle (Fender-y), Wrangle (Dynasonic/Mosrite) and three humbucking settings - Tangle (Filtertron-esque), Mangle (Gibby HB), and Crush (RAWR!!!). Full demo on the OKTs here: https://youtu.be/eug_z9uqdrE

The middle pickup is also my own design, a bar magnet single coil. The general layout is like a Dano Lipstick pickup, but without the case.

OK, if you've read this far, maybe you want to see a demo? It's hack-tastic, but here it is: https://youtu.be/fgaqNM8_rUg

Here's a look at the back of the guitar, you can see it's got the usual Strat trem rout, only it's offset (get it?) to the rear.

Finally, one more view of the front. Hope you enjoy as much as I enjoyed building it.
Last edited by MelWaldorf on Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Strat trem with separate bridge

Post by Jan Deal » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:42 pm

That's really interesting. The pickups have got me more intrigued that the bridge though!
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:20 am

This is great !
I thought I wondered about that a while ago, so I rummaged in my old files and here's and old drawing from 2013 (I thought it was from last year, time flies).Image

(the rest of the guitar is just me wondering what a custom Electrical Guitar Company build would look like for me)

Watching the video now to hear your thoughts about this bridge placement !

BTW those pickups look very interesting too...
Last edited by Flurko on Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

rat n' fuzz factory
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rat n' fuzz factory » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:00 am

very cool, I have been considering this, but with a Floyd Rose and locking nut. I love the Jag/JM trem with its behind the bridge string length and smooth action, but also I love the Floyd Rose, with its tuning stability and greater travel. Obviously divebombing would be limited, but I think with roller saddles the tuning stability would still be there.

Also it would be a solution for tuning the behind the bridge area, the Strat trem saddle adjustment can tune the area. Have ben mulling this over on my own doubleneck thread.

My question though, what happens if you dive bomb a note??? do the strings naturally return to the saddles (on the separate bridge)???or get caught up somewhere......would love to know, save me the routing for a mockup

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blimpage » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:01 am

This is very cool! And the name "Off Kiltertrons" is brilliant! 😄

MelWaldorf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MelWaldorf » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:01 am

Hot dog - I knew I couldn't be the only one who mulled this over. I'm among my people! ;)

RnFF - I'm able to get the strings slack and come back to pitch without the strings leaving the saddles or other issues. I think the key is to get the bridge high enough off the body to have a decent break angle across the bridge. The bridge is about 7/8" off the face of the body, and I used a 1 degree angle in the neck pocket. I also like the idea of using the trem saddles to intonate the strings behind the bridge - I hadn't thought of that!

Flurko - that's a sharp looking design!

And thanks also the interest in the pickups, took me years of trial and error to develop and fine tune the design. Besides the custom covers on this guitar, I also make them in standard and wide Filtertron covers (hence the Off Kiltertron moniker) and have also done some in P90 and Jazzmaster covers.

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:13 pm

I'm another one with this evil plan, I even have a potential victim guitar set aside for it. Those pickups, though- nice "out of the box" thinking! 8) (Subscribed to your youtube channel).
Watching the corners turn corners

MelWaldorf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MelWaldorf » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:20 pm

antisymmetric - what's your donor guitar? A stop tail of some sort? Mine is a scratch build of my own design (it's subtle, but the body shape is essentially an italized Strat, or Strat ;)

Also, thanks for the complements on the pickups!