Swope Descendant Vibrato

For help with setups and other technical issues.
ek11sx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by ek11sx » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:41 pm

Anyone fit one of these onto an AmPro yet? Also, how does the feel compare to a Mastery Vibrato?

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:29 am

Actually, now that I've looked at the webpage again, I realised it doesn't have a trem-lock, which I kind of like, even if it's maybe more of a comfort placebo for quick drop tunings than anything else... Additionally, I just realised that since my JM is now in a pieces-phase, the AVRI trem arm needs to be pushed down with a bit of a wiggle to actually set in place, which I've failed to do constantly and that has lead to it swinging about and even falling out on occasion. Since there's a spring there with a bit of give, there's no way of pressing the arm into the collet all the way straight... On top of all of that, I just saw the awesome 6/12 double neck posted with tunable behind-the-bridge strings which sounds awesome in an interesting way. And that doesn't seem doable with this design. It looks great, but I've realised I've grown out of it now.

What would be interesting is if someone would create a version of this setup that would allow for adjusting the angle of the trem arm without bending. And then maybe a designed roller tuner setup for off-the-shelf tuned behind the bridge artsyness. I'm Lost in the supermarket...
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:25 pm

bodhi wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:29 am
Actually, now that I've looked at the webpage again, I realised it doesn't have a trem-lock, which I kind of like, even if it's maybe more of a comfort placebo for quick drop tunings than anything else... Additionally, I just realised that since my JM is now in a pieces-phase, the AVRI trem arm needs to be pushed down with a bit of a wiggle to actually set in place, which I've failed to do constantly and that has lead to it swinging about and even falling out on occasion. Since there's a spring there with a bit of give, there's no way of pressing the arm into the collet all the way straight... On top of all of that, I just saw the awesome 6/12 double neck posted with tunable behind-the-bridge strings which sounds awesome in an interesting way. And that doesn't seem doable with this design. It looks great, but I've realised I've grown out of it now.

What would be interesting is if someone would create a version of this setup that would allow for adjusting the angle of the trem arm without bending. And then maybe a designed roller tuner setup for off-the-shelf tuned behind the bridge artsyness. I'm Lost in the supermarket...
The arm has a tension screw. Whether that means I could set its height I don't know. You can sent how high the plate descends though.
I'm a lock user with a cello taped high trem arm too.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:46 pm

My only real issue with it is that it's kinda ugly. I don't like the brushed stainless look too much, especially since everything else on an offset is chrome. If he offered a polished or chromed version of it I'd probably be more interested.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:49 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:46 pm
My only real issue with it is that it's kinda ugly. I don't like the brushed stainless look too much, especially since everything else on an offset is chrome. If he offered a polished or chromed version of it I'd probably be more interested.
I really like the string slots, but agree with you about the brushed steel - that stuff belongs on early-2000s kitchen appliances, not guitars.

J.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:50 am

I like brushed steel, but could see how it would look out of place on some jags for example. It's a modern look against the shiny chrome, but they may release a chrome version if it's successful. I would put on a warmth JM which is very different aesthetic with no other shiny plates.

Had a look at the videos though.
The arm looks higher and almost pre-bent angle. This would depend on spring tension and spring choice too.
And it does explain a 'lock' workaround by adding longer screws included that stop upward travel. More for the Kevin shielders or frequent detuners than to use it as an actual 'lock for string breaks'...but that's me, I don't remember when I last broke a string.

molul
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by molul » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:23 pm

I just saw this vibrato in unofficial warmoth forums and I'm very curious. I'm having a JM built with a mastery bridge and tremolo, and I wonder if I should have investigated a bit more and get this descendant vibrato instead of the mastery one. Has anyone compared both yet?

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:28 am

Noticed an update on their instagram:

Now ships with an arm you can remove without unscrewing.
Just simply made a flat part so arm pulls out when opposite to playing position. With a DIY guide if already bought.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:05 am

jorri wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:28 am
Noticed an update on their instagram:

Now ships with an arm you can remove without unscrewing.
Just simply made a flat part so arm pulls out when opposite to playing position. With a DIY guide if already bought.
That's really cool. I just sold a couple things, and I'm REALLY tempted to pull the trigger on this one...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:45 am

Posted this to the “workbench” thread, but I dropped one into my Jaguar a week or so ago...

There was a little note saying this was part of the first batch with the “new” arm. Haven’t had too much time to play, but it’s a definite improvement over the (really good IMO) AVRI vibrato in terms of feel. I won’t judge whether there are any sonic benefits until I can put new strings on (USPS doesn’t know where my package from GTSCo is) but so far I feel like it’s a great upgrade...

gila_crisis
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by gila_crisis » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:36 am

I wrote Chris and he told me Lefties DEscendant will be avaiable again very soon.
To all of you how have one on their guitar, how do you like it so far?

I?m considering updating the MIJ tremolo on my JM with one of these.

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:36 am

gila_crisis wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:36 am
I wrote Chris and he told me Lefties DEscendant will be avaiable again very soon.
To all of you how have one on their guitar, how do you like it so far?

I?m considering updating the MIJ tremolo on my JM with one of these.
I have one on a Vintera JM and I do like it. Haven't honestly done a great setup on that guitar as yet, but the feel of the unit is definitely better than the Mexican ones. One of these days when I have more time, I'll dial the action in better than "good enough", and I think this will be a very nice unit indeed.

augur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by augur » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:14 am

I did receive a Descendant vibrato a few days ago for my new project of Jazzmaster (will send more pictures soon).
I love the look of the holes (teeths) and it feels very sturdy made !

Did you (as previous customer) receive email from Swope guitars regarding recommended maintenance however ?
He recommends to put grease on arm in order to avoid "galling". It seems he had some complains for a few users.
This and the fact you have to add glue under the plates, it looks a bit weird :unsure: actually.

EDIT: Sorry I misread. The loctite is adviced for the mounting screws.

Did anybody have any (small) problem with Descendant vibrato in the past ?

I have also ordered and received a Halon vibrato and bridge (it is much cheaper for me as I live in Europe)
in order to upgrade a Fender CS 59 JM by the way. The quality looks also very high.
Last edited by augur on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:31 pm

augur wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:14 am
I did receive a Descendant vibrato a few days ago for my new project of Jazzmaster (will send more pictures soon).
I love the look of the holes (teeths) and it feels very sturdy made !

Did you (as previous customer) receive email from Swope guitars regarding recommended maintenance however ?
He recommends to put grease on arm in order to avoid "galling". It seems he had some complains for a few users.
This and the fact you have to add glue under the plates, it looks a bit weird :unsure: actually.
Did anybody have any (small) problem with Descendant vibrato in the past ?

I have also ordered and received a Halon vibrato and bridge (it is much cheaper for me as I live in Europe)
in order to upgrade a Fender CS 59 JM by the way. The quality looks also very high.
Yep, I got that email the other day. I haven't had any issues with the vibrato, but I will likely grease it up the next time I change strings or ask for it if I send it out for a setup.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:04 pm

You have to add glue under the plates?

That takes this unit off my list of parts I've wanted to try. I also change tunings often enough that I've missed the lock button every time I've gone without it.

I guess I just have to wait for the AmPro II units to hit the aftermarket if I want to try something other than the AVRI.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.