Fender Mustang Restoration

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Don Tino
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender Mustang Restoration

Post by Don Tino » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:23 am

Greetings from Arizona,
I'm brand new to OSG, not even sure what an off set guitar is, but have acquired a 1973 (I think) Mustang and am looking for some shared knowledge to help me get it playing. I want to make sure I'm at the right place. I wrote a lengthy introduction last night for my first post and registration and I can't see it. Let me know if I'm in the right place, please, and I'll tell you what I have. Thanks.
Don Tino

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Fender Mustang Restoration

Post by zhivago » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:49 am

You're in the right place, Don. 8)
Resident Spartan.

Don Tino
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Don Tino » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:56 am

Here's one of my first questions: How much should I pay for the Mustang?
Original blue finish so faded that it's now an olive green
one of the pickup switches is broken and needs replacement
the bridge is not original but was fabricated
nut missing
pick guard broken at a couple of the screw joints
fret board worn, but can be reconditioned. Frets are fine.
Tuning knobs good.
string guides are missing
plenty of bumps and scratches, wood visible at edges of guitar body
some rust on the base where the strings anchor
no tremolo bar
volume and tone knobs are old but work
no major wood damage anywhere
Electronics functioning. Pickups returned a tuning fork vibration to the amp

Overall, I think it's in pretty decent shape. I've not done any guitar restoration before and I want to give my friend a fair price. He played it years ago but it sat, maybe even outside, for a long time. Because I see the Mustang online for as much as $6-8,000, I don't really know where to start with this unrestored one.

It's plenty vintage and plenty ready for some work. Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Don Tino

Don Tino
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Don Tino » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:10 am

zhivago wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:49 am
You're in the right place, Don. 8)
Thanks!

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:57 pm

I’m far from an expert man, but checking on Reverb there’s a what looks a pretty pristine ‘74 for £2300. Sounds like the one you’re interested in is pretty trashed, lot of work, parts etc, so maybe £1000? Could be way off, but just having a look around can be useful, get an idea of what they’re going for.

https://reverb.com/item/32796653-fender ... t=32796653

That’s that ‘74 man.

Don Tino
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Don Tino » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:30 pm

Excellent. Much obliged for the tip.
DT

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:46 am

Don Tino wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:56 am

Overall, I think it's in pretty decent shape. I've not done any guitar restoration before and I want to give my friend a fair price.

It's plenty vintage and plenty ready for some work. Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Don Tino
Only because you've said you've not done any restoration before - please don't strip the finish. ;D

guitalias
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by guitalias » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:47 pm

mgeek wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:46 am
Don Tino wrote:

Overall, I think it's in pretty decent shape. I've not done any guitar restoration before and I want to give my friend a fair price.

Thanks,
Don Tino
Only because you've said you've not done any restoration before - please don't strip the finish. ;D
+1. Conservation where possible. I've been involved more with old bikes & buildings.

Don Tino
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Don Tino » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:16 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the finish. Others have cautioned me as well. I have however, attempted to take down the faded part of the finish and the original blue is emerging slowly. I've put it back together and started playing it. To my novice electric ear ( I only really play acoustic and classical), it sounds great: super clean and deep. I've ordered some Fender parts and looking forward to getting those. Still not sure on price. The guitar is not in good shape and wasn't even playable until I worked with it for a couple hours and. Lots of scratches, indentations, and a few cracks. Was thinking $500 to the seller but now thinking less. Just because you can find the same guitar for thousands of dollars, doesn't mean this one has that kind of resell potential.
DT 8)

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:33 pm

Don Tino wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:16 pm
Thanks for the heads up on the finish. Others have cautioned me as well. I have however, attempted to take down the faded part of the finish and the original blue is emerging slowly.
In that case, congratulations my good man! You've ruined and devalued your first vintage guitar! :fp:
Don Tino wrote:
Was thinking $500 to the seller but now thinking less.
Don Tino wrote:
I want to give my friend a fair price.
Which is it? Cos before you started messing round with it your friend could easily have got twice that, and now you want to pay less?

Gotta love people who turn up on a forum asking for advice from people who actually know, then completely ignore it. ;D

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:40 pm

Don Tino wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on the finish. Others have cautioned me as well. I have however, attempted to take down the faded part of the finish and the original blue is emerging slowly. I've put it back together and started playing it. To my novice electric ear ( I only really play acoustic and classical), it sounds great: super clean and deep. I've ordered some Fender parts and looking forward to getting those. Still not sure on price. The guitar is not in good shape and wasn't even playable until I worked with it for a couple hours and. Lots of scratches, indentations, and a few cracks. Was thinking $500 to the seller but now thinking less. Just because you can find the same guitar for thousands of dollars, doesn't mean this one has that kind of resell potential.
DT 8)
man, what are you doing?
if it's a '70-something Mustang, has most of the original parts, and is not brown or natural, your buddy is an ass if he sells it for 500 bucks.
Stop whatever you're doing with the finish. It's not a motorcycle. Shiny chrome doesn't impress guitar people. Most respect the effects of time, and are happy to see an old guitar that no one in these 'enlightened' times has fucked up.
Post some photos so we can judge you accordingly.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:39 pm

Sounds like you're stripping the original clearcoat, which is the part that yellows and gives the green overall look.

If so, you're massively devaluing the guitar. You're stripping finish; that never does anything but severely hurt the originality and value of a vintage Fender.

This thread is both confusing and painful. $500 for a vintage Mustang with mostly original parts makes no sense, it sounds like it's likely worth triple that.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:32 am

Don Tino wrote:
Just because you can find the same guitar for thousands of dollars, doesn't mean this one has that kind of resell potential.
:fp:

You may well have made a BIG mistake, trying to remove the clearcoat.

If the guitars a keeper you might not be too bothered. Planning on selling it on though? You've probably knocked at least a few hundred off the value.
Last edited by PorkyPrimeCut on Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:38 pm

:fp:
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CaptainCrunch » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:00 pm

Pics are ALWAYS super-helpful. I’ve bought cheapo pawnshop guitars with 1/8” of nicotine scum that had to be scraped off with an old credit card that was 100% needed.

But if you’re sanding off original paint, please just relax, and let the people you’ve asked for help, help you.