Best Pickgaurd replacment for 65 Jaguar

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Ground Control
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Best Pickgaurd replacment for 65 Jaguar

Post by Ground Control » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:57 am

Just finishing up on putting all the orignal parts back on my 1965 Fender Jaguar that I just painted CAR only to find out that the off white pick guard had shrunk around 1/8" due to the old nitrate-based guards 55 year old properties, but mostly due to it was not installed for 20 years.
Question I am looking at a replacement guard found on Amazon that states is a basically a replacement for the 55-60 year old USA Jaguars. My concern is have the orignal mounting holes line up as I DO NOT want to drill new holes to mount. Anyone ever replace a guard on your JAG with this type with no issues of mounting holes lining up?
Sorry I cant load any pictures but I may try to file the old guard but it needs a lot of filing. :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AYTGGC/re ... UTF8&psc=1
I Never Fret - I just Play

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best Pickguard replacment for 65 Jaguar

Post by Sweetfinger » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:45 am

The wild card I've found on doing exact replacements for vintage instruments is that not only have the original guards shrunk, warped, cracked, and broken, but the guitar bodies have also shrunk and warped, sometimes enough that a "correct" replacement won't fit well, particularly on larger pickguards like Jazzmasters, P-Basses, and Tele basses.
If I have a vintage Fender in the shop and have the time or need, I'll make an adjusted template with the holes moved to where they actually sit. It's a lot of work but I find I end up with a template that fits other period Fenders well, as they have mostly shrunk in the same way. Unfortunately, one template I don't have an adjusted template for is a vintage Jag.

Ground Control
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Best Pickgaurd replacment for 65 Jaguar

Post by Ground Control » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:08 am

I have been considering just buying a section of 3 ply and making my own. Just hoping someone has a good source for a replacement.
I did file away on some areas were it may of be a help in reinstalling the orignal and it did but one can see the areas were it has shrunk next to the control plates. But as said may just make my own. :)
Cheers

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:41 am

::COUGH

Spitfire.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Ground Control
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ground Control » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:54 pm

Bless you ;)

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:31 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:41 am
::COUGH

Spitfire.
This is the only real answer if you want an authentic guard for a vintage offset. I'd shoot him an email. He may be able to trace your old guard and match it up. Either way he can help you.