Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Gruffeljos
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jaguar

Post by Gruffeljos » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:45 am

Beltone wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:01 pm
I finally got my hands on a Squier Classic Vibe today and was able to give it a good A/B comparison with a Fender Player. I ended up going with the Player, but I came away impressed with the Squier’s value proposition.

Anyway, not trying to be too hard on the Squier. It will certainly work for a number of players and modders.
On the lookout for my first offset as well, budget around 600€ - 750€ to play 90s inspired rock / noise / grunge / postpunk but also bright cleans (sonic youth if I have to drop a name)

I have played the Squier Classic Vibe '60s Jazzmaster but did not deliver the sound I am after. Too warm, too funky for me.
Got to play a Jaguar Player series which to my ears sounded much better, more grit, more "dirty". I can't get my hands on a Jaguar Classic Vibe 70s though and when I compare specs the only real difference I can tell is the Player has a humbucker, the CV only single coils. On the other hand I read that you don't miss the humbucker on the CV bevause of it's versatility. Please note I am no technician and have no plans to start modding or rewiring the whole thing.

I like the looks of the CV better, it's much more a 'real' jaguar than the Player series imo but I am a bit afraid to take the risk buying this one without having played one.

Anyone else who can advise, has experience with these two models?

Thank you!
Josh

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:37 am

Bit surprising. A JM should range from warm and wooly to chilly as, passing through wiry, clanky and sparkly on the way. The Squier Mascis would be more bell-like than the CV because it's pickups are not quite the full-on deal. Sounds like it might be humbuckers you want rather than single coils. Thurston would surely raise an eyebrow...

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:13 pm

Gruffeljos wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:45 am
Beltone wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:01 pm
I finally got my hands on a Squier Classic Vibe today and was able to give it a good A/B comparison with a Fender Player. I ended up going with the Player, but I came away impressed with the Squier’s value proposition.

Anyway, not trying to be too hard on the Squier. It will certainly work for a number of players and modders.
On the lookout for my first offset as well, budget around 600€ - 750€ to play 90s inspired rock / noise / grunge / postpunk but also bright cleans (sonic youth if I have to drop a name)

I have played the Squier Classic Vibe '60s Jazzmaster but did not deliver the sound I am after. Too warm, too funky for me.
Got to play a Jaguar Player series which to my ears sounded much better, more grit, more "dirty". I can't get my hands on a Jaguar Classic Vibe 70s though and when I compare specs the only real difference I can tell is the Player has a humbucker, the CV only single coils. On the other hand I read that you don't miss the humbucker on the CV bevause of it's versatility. Please note I am no technician and have no plans to start modding or rewiring the whole thing.

I like the looks of the CV better, it's much more a 'real' jaguar than the Player series imo but I am a bit afraid to take the risk buying this one without having played one.

Anyone else who can advise, has experience with these two models?

Thank you!
Josh
Something I don’t see talked about that often is that these guitars really don’t sound or feel like you think they will that often and definitely take some getting used to if you’re used to playing more common guitars. Like anything it takes a minute to adjust. Maybe this doesn’t ring true for everyone but my god, the first time I ever got to see in person a Jaguar not being played by a band that was too big for me to ask to see the guitar as a 14 year old in guitar center was fuckin bananas. I could only think of MBV and Dinosaur and had been really, really into Dirty and Washing Machine so I was thinking this thick syrupy encompassing sound and instead, that first time anyway, I couldn’t get anything aside from what I think of now with the filter switch, tone knob at zero and volume on 1. It really threw me for a loop.

If you’ve not been allowed to spend significant time with one or have never played one, 10/10 would recommend getting as good a deal as you can find on a Squier version and getting to know it a bit. Most posters, myself included, recommend an AV65 When people come asking, but if it’s yr first time I’d stick as close as possible to only dropping a couple hundred bucks if you can.

They’re amazing and all of our favorites, obviously, but it’s an adjustment for sure.

Gruffeljos
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Gruffeljos » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:38 am

Thank you for your quick response of great value.

I surely believe my ears need to get used to that single coil sound as I have played in bands which lend more to the hardcore / metal side of things, although I listened myself to more indie / 90s rock bands. So I might better be off with the Jaguar Player Series. Then again maybe I should just start out on a squier budget to get used to this kind of guitars.

Will be hitting some more guitar shops with this advice in mind.

Thank you!
Josh

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:56 am

gonna be honest, ive never had a problem using single coils to get a hardcore/metal tone. sure it sounds brighter (and better imo) than humbuckers but its easy to get there with a rat or an hm2

jgpouton
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jgpouton » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:23 am

Hi,

The original bridge on my Squier CV Jaguar is defective and I need to buy another one. I only find Mustang bridges for 7" neck radius though. Anybody knows where I can find one? Thank you.

Cheers

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:37 am

jgpouton wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:23 am
Hi,

The original bridge on my Squier CV Jaguar is defective and I need to buy another one. I only find Mustang bridges for 7" neck radius though. Anybody knows where I can find one? Thank you.

Cheers
What's wrong with it ?

The Am Pro's MIA bridge is the only other Fender Mustang-style bridge with a 9.5" radius (7709942000). It also has ~52mm E-E spacing. But the usual stockists are all showing out of stock at the moment ...
https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-am ... 709942000/
https://www.angela.com/fenderbridgeasse ... aster.aspx
https://www.guitarpartsfactory.us/index ... 7709942000

There are also one or more recent import Mustang bridges claiming 9.5" radius. These appeared around the same time as the Classic Vibe series, so it's possible (but not verified) that the supplier/bridge is the same ...
https://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Chrome-Mu ... _2681.html
https://www.customworldguitarparts.com/ ... adius.html
https://www.emma-music.com/mustang-brid ... dius95.cfm
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

jgpouton
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jgpouton » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:28 am

Thank you for the info.

The problem I have with the stock bridge is that there's one grub screw that is stuck in its hole (the guitar is brand new). I tried to turn it to raise the bridge with the Allen key provided but I could not and after a while the Allen cavity on top of the screw got worn out.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:57 am

jgpouton wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:28 am
Thank you for the info.

The problem I have with the stock bridge is that there's one grub screw that is stuck in its hole (the guitar is brand new). I tried to turn it to raise the bridge with the Allen key provided but I could not and after a while the Allen cavity on top of the screw got worn out.
That's annoying on new guitar ! But if you can still get the screw out (eg from underneath with pliers) and the internal thread is OK it should be an easy fix. The CV should almost certainly be a metric bridge. You can be sure by checking the allen key - metric will be 1.5mm; imperial 0.05" (1.27mm). So if metric, the grub screws will be M3 conical tip. Check the length, maybe 16mm ? 20 for about 2 bucks. eg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grub-Screws-Co ... 3433647640
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

jgpouton
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jgpouton » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:28 am

Useful info thank you! I tried everything but I could not remove the screw so that I need another bridge. Yes that is unacceptable on a new guitar.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:45 am

Just picked a used CV 70's Jag up in Surf green. I used to own a VM Jag in Surf green a while ago, but that guitar just didn't do it for me, so I sold it.
At first glance I have to say that the CV is more apealing to me. I also noticed it sounds better unamplified then the VM. Weight is about the same. I also like the sound of the CV pu's more then the ones on the VM. Although the output is simelar. I really like the addition of the "bone" nut and the mustang saddles on the CV jag. The metric Jag/Jm saddles never worked for me...or you have to set them up with locktide... So the Mustang barrel saddels without height adjustment screws a nice bonus. The high e slot saddle on mine has no problems and seams to be deep enough and the string sounds fine when played open.

The neck on the CV is indeed a bit chunkier then that on the VM, but I don't mind that. It could be me, but I feel that the poplar body on the CV resonates a bit more then the basswood one of the VM, but since I did not compare them side by side, it could very likely be my imagination. Build quality seams very simelar. Although on the CV the trem makes less noise then the one the VM (as far as I remember)

Originally I intended to buy a new black CV 70's Jag as black and B&B necks are quiet nice looking, but this used Surf green one was just too good to pass on... Mint condition and not very expensive....

I like the CV a lot more then the MIJ Jag I used to own, which was more a boat anchor then a guitar. I think soundwise it's on par wih the CIJ limited edition Sonic blue Jag that I used to have. Although the CV is a tad heavier in weight.
Since the used CV jag I bought was already set up with heavier gauge strings an presumably had a set up, I can't comment on the factory set up. Although I can imagine that a 0.09-0.42 set of strings is a bit ridicule on these guitars.

On a side note, I'm stunned with how the prices on used on MIJ/CIJ jag's have gonne up the past few years. I remember picking these up for arround € 500,- used/mint contidion some 10 years ago. Now I see MIJ's for € 900,- which is just ridiculess imho for these guitars.... Seriously I take a VM or CV Squier Jag over most MIJ Jag's.... But perhaps that's just me....

ShatoonBringerOfCorn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ShatoonBringerOfCorn » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:19 am

Anyone in the UK/Europe got a recommendation for where to buy a replacement pickguard? I want to swap the tort out for parchment or maybe white pearl

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:30 am

ShatoonBringerOfCorn wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:19 am
Anyone in the UK/Europe got a recommendation for where to buy a replacement pickguard? I want to swap the tort out for parchment or maybe white pearl
I got mine from aliexpress. Was around 10 euros shipped, but takes a while obviously. The sellers mention in the product pages if theyre made for american models or japanese ones. the american fit pickguards work on the cvs and vms.

edit: https://musiclily.aliexpress.com/store/ ... 78757.html

this is where i bought mine from

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:26 pm

These look okay. did yours have the truss rod notch and the correct shaping under the upper control plate?

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:03 am

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:26 pm
These look okay. did yours have the truss rod notch and the correct shaping under the upper control plate?
In regards to both questions: yes.