Morales Mosrite overhaul

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Rustan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Morales Mosrite overhaul

Post by Rustan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:19 am

Hello.
I have taken apart my black Morales Mosrite-model and as it is apart I could as well take the opportynity to take care of whatever needs to be done. Have bought copper tape for all cavitys and a set of Mosrite clone pickups. Anything else I should do while it is all stripped? Any Morales owners who have input how to take care of this model? Tips?
Will try to upgrade with pictures.

Please share your knowledge!

Rustan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Morales Mosrite overhaul

Post by Rustan » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:00 am

Any Morales owners here?
Does anyone have interest in share experience and useful tips or wants to follow progress/mistakes I make?
Or should I just forget about it? Maybe Morales is a dead subject in this forum...

will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by will » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:01 pm

There are some Mosrite fans on the forum, though some more detail would help.

What is broken on the guitar? What are your goals in repairing the guitar?

Rustan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rustan » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:19 am

Hello Will.

Nothing is actually broken, but as I am going to replace the pickups and have the guitar taken apart I thought I could as well follow advices from fellow Morales owners what is a good idea to check/upgrade/attend to.

So I wonder if anyone here mayby have any useful tips to share?

As mentioned, I will use copper tape to shield all cacitys (have done that on all guitars I own) and also oil the fretboard.
Anything else to do as everything is taken apart?

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:59 pm

Well, I've got this baby, the only thing I would say about it is that the bridge has a tendency to fall forward if you use the vibrato, so maybe padding the bridge posts would be wise? Otherwise it's all good, these are pretty decent guitars from the Moridaira factory (also home to the brands Mory and Morris, I think). I love the weird neck.
I think I read that the pickups are quite accurate to the Mosrite originals though - I like the sound of mine and I wouldn't be replacing them myself.

Gonkulator
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gonkulator » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:49 pm

I forget the sellers name on eBay but they sell a stiffer spring for the vibrato. I would replace them on every Mosrite I owned and it helps with the tuning stability ten fold.

Basically any care methods/upkeep that you would find for a Mosrite you can apply to your guitar.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:24 am

MatthewK wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:59 pm
these are pretty decent guitars from the Moridaira factory (also home to the brands Mory and Morris, I think)
Really? Morales, Mory, and Morris guitars are made at the Moridaira factory?

Well, that certainly makes it a lot easier to keep track of than the brands made at Fuji-Gen!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Rustan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rustan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:26 am

Fun to see your replies! :)
One thing I notice is the 3way_switch, it is very big, and also with a plastic tip. As I am to re-solder the new pickup-cables to it is there anyone who have a good advice for a new switch with same function but a metal tip? Ebay or similar?

will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by will » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:08 pm

Rustan wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:26 am
Fun to see your replies! :)
One thing I notice is the 3way_switch, it is very big, and also with a plastic tip. As I am to re-solder the new pickup-cables to it is there anyone who have a good advice for a new switch with same function but a metal tip? Ebay or similar?
There are some metal-tip ones on eBay - or you can just get a switch tip. There is different threading on tips made in the USA vs. Metric places.

Rustan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rustan » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:54 am

Thanks Will.
Done for now. New pickups, shielding, homemade pickguard, metaltip (old Gibsonstyle from good to have-box). Took apart trem and oiled leather washer, now it moves smooth and tremarm keeps in position. Only remaining issue is screwholes in neck, I swaped rusty old screws to new stainless. But all do not grip. Tried woodglue and matches... Any suggestions? Can not upload pictures for some reason but will do so when it is possible.

will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by will » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:01 am

matchsticks and glue should work - the screws don't need to be tightened with a lot of force.