Help me choose a new recording interface.

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help me choose a new recording interface.

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:12 pm

New interface has shipped. 8)

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:19 am

SSL 2+

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:18 pm

northern_dirt wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:19 am
SSL 2+
Thanks, but I already bought the M4. I’m liking it so far.

I just downloaded the driver, but I haven’t played with the loopback feature or messed with MIDI yet.

So far I’m pretty impressed with it.

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:06 am

Right on..

Im actually looking to grab the SSL as just a monitor controller..
Ive switched over to Dante and need something infront of my Lavry Blue
to adjust volume and having a headphone jack.

Its only a temporary fix. I plan to get a Lynx Hilo and SPL phonitor 2 once my work allows a more permanent work from home beyond covid situation.. Im actually the only one coming into work currently as I live next to the Studios. All the other post audio mixers are remoteing in.. and have PT rigs at home.

kenrothman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kenrothman » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:23 am

I've got the M4, have had it for a couple of months now - replacing an old Apogee One

I'm really happy with it, works and sounds great with Logic on my old MacBook Pro.

Recommended.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:38 pm

kenrothman wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:23 am
I've got the M4, have had it for a couple of months now - replacing an old Apogee One

I'm really happy with it, works and sounds great with Logic on my old MacBook Pro.

Recommended.
Yeah. Stoked on it so far. I downloaded the driver and it works flawlessly with my MIDI controller.

MazzyJaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MazzyJaster » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:11 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:24 pm
Tried out the rig sans new interface yesterday. Setup time is much improved. I can basically be tracking in under 5 minutes, and I think I can improve on that with a few boring changes like neatening up my cable situation.

I also have a few time savers planned like building a loft for guitar cases so I can easily grab the one I want without causing an avalanche.
My guitar is already back in the case within 5 minutes :)

I use templates ::)

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:20 pm

MazzyJaster wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:11 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:24 pm
Tried out the rig sans new interface yesterday. Setup time is much improved. I can basically be tracking in under 5 minutes, and I think I can improve on that with a few boring changes like neatening up my cable situation.

I also have a few time savers planned like building a loft for guitar cases so I can easily grab the one I want without causing an avalanche.
My guitar is already back in the case within 5 minutes :)

I use templates ::)
I’m not good enough a guitar player to pull that off.

I do want to get some template action happening, but I haven’t decided how I want to do it yet. To some degree I like starting with a clean slate.

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:09 pm

northern_dirt wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:19 am
SSL 2+
I love mine. it has become my main interface, and it's super portable too if i want to take it with me. my recordings sound beautifully clean, i don't have to spend time trying to make things sound clean and clear anymore.

for what it's worth i am also running all of my guitar and mics through a pair of CAPI VP28s in a lunchbox setup. killer pres

MazzyJaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MazzyJaster » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:39 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:20 pm
I do want to get some template action happening, but I haven’t decided how I want to do it yet. To some degree I like starting with a clean slate.
I have 8x Group Bus ... e.g. Drums, Bass, Guitars, Synths, Piano, Strings, Vocals, Backing Vocals, with all VST plugins set to offline (no cpu). I also have 3x Aux Bus (delay, reverb). Each Group Bus is sub-divided e.g. Guitars into RhythmGuitarL, RhythmGuitarR, LeadGuitar1, LeadGuitar2, etc., and each track has an instrument or amp ready to go, so that I can prototype new ideas quickly. When I am done recording, I delete all the unused tracks/group bus before mixing.

I have many templates for different things, so I always have something that fits my need :)

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:54 pm

If anyone's curious about the onboard preamps on the M4 here's a track I recorded using them.

https://soundcloud.com/user-631280886/no-suicide

This is a cover of a song by a band I used to play drums in. I learned it for a virtual open mic my current bandmates and some friends do and I figured I might as well document it while it was still fresh.

Cheap Pacific Pro Audio LD-1 large diaphragm condenser on the vocal and an even cheaper Behringer ECM8000 omni on the guitar. There's a little eq mainly to tame the low mid woofiness of the guitar, and some reverb and compression of course. I accidentally left the onboard pad on on the LD-1 when tracking, so there's more noise than there needs to be on the vocal.

I think the relative blandness of the onboard pres works in this setting as the guitar and vocal mic I was using are both pretty strident.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:17 pm

MazzyJaster wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:39 pm
I have 8x Group Bus ... e.g. Drums, Bass, Guitars, Synths, Piano, Strings, Vocals, Backing Vocals, with all VST plugins set to offline (no cpu). I also have 3x Aux Bus (delay, reverb). Each Group Bus is sub-divided e.g. Guitars into RhythmGuitarL, RhythmGuitarR, LeadGuitar1, LeadGuitar2, etc., and each track has an instrument or amp ready to go, so that I can prototype new ideas quickly. When I am done recording, I delete all the unused tracks/group bus before mixing.

I have many templates for different things, so I always have something that fits my need :)
I've decided to stick with Garageband for the time being, so no busses for me. I think at most I'd want a few pre-programmed MIDI click patterns (because the onboard metronome is shit if you're playing drums), and maybe a few tracks with a very gentle high pass filter pre-applied for things I think will probably need it but that I may want to tweak on later.

I just work super methodically and tend to write offline. Soft synths are fun, but it's easy for me to use then un-tastefully so I'd rather have an extra moment of being forced to decide if it's actually a good idea first.

MazzyJaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MazzyJaster » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:28 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:17 pm
MazzyJaster wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:39 pm

I've decided to stick with Garageband for the time being, so no busses for me. I think at most I'd want a few pre-programmed MIDI click patterns (because the onboard metronome is shit if you're playing drums), and maybe a few tracks with a very gentle high pass filter pre-applied for things I think will probably need it but that I may want to tweak on later.

I just work super methodically and tend to write offline. Soft synths are fun, but it's easy for me to use then un-tastefully so I'd rather have an extra moment of being forced to decide if it's actually a good idea first.
Yeah, horses for courses, but I like to record quickly in order to capture any creative bursts :) I also use Nebula, so I recreate old analog consoles inside my computer (mad I know!)