Fender Mustang Restoration

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Don Tino
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Fender Mustang Restoration

Post by Don Tino » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:49 pm

Don Tino from Arizona back,
I decided to take down the finish of my 73 Mustang Competition and could use some guidance about acquiring the right paint, steps, etc. I've looked around some video's and have learned a few things but I thought I'd asked the forum. Since I bought the guitar ($500) to play and not to sell, I went ahead with the strip. I'd appreciate it getting steered in right direction. I know I can buy some 'Fender' paints from some suppliers and I think I'd like a vintage color, perhaps the Lake Placid Blue.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Don Tino

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:58 am

It's not rocket science, sand it smooth, prime it, paint it. Don't buy enamel paint, nitro cellulose lacquer or acrylic lacquer is what you want. Wear a respirator if you use nitro cellulose, that stuff is strong and will kill more than a few brain cells.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:59 am

Don Tino wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:49 pm
Don Tino from Arizona back,
I decided to take down the finish of my 73 Mustang Competition and could use some guidance about acquiring the right paint, steps, etc. I've looked around some video's and have learned a few things but I thought I'd asked the forum. Since I bought the guitar ($500) to play and not to sell, I went ahead with the strip. I'd appreciate it getting steered in right direction. I know I can buy some 'Fender' paints from some suppliers and I think I'd like a vintage color, perhaps the Lake Placid Blue.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Don Tino
I'm calling troll ;D

Get out of here, no one wants to hear about someone ruining their vintage guitar in 2020, even if it's made up to get a rise out of forum dudes.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:24 pm

mgeek wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:59 am
...I'm calling troll ;D
Now that you mention it, yeah. It kinda makes sense.

What a flop! ;D Kids these days have waaaay too much time on their hands.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

pad
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pad » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:24 am

:fp:
pics or never happend!

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:18 am

mgeek wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:59 am
I'm calling troll ;D

Get out of here, no one wants to hear about someone ruining their vintage guitar in 2020, even if it's made up to get a rise out of forum dudes.
I'm here to tell you these people are out there. a while back my shop got this gorgeous '65 Mustang in for a refurbish. It needed some care, a couple tuners needed replaced with correct year vintage ones, there was some speckles of paint spray over it, it had a blob of glue on the front, frets needed work, the usual old, neglected guitar stuff.
The customer kept asking if we could refinish it. I gave him the speech and said we could, but wouldn't. I'm pretty sure that within a couple weeks of him picking it up, it had rattlecan on it so it could "look new". I took a bunch of photos. There's a tiny chance my admonishments took and it remains this way, but he really wanted to refin it, and likely a coincidence, I'm also in Arizona.
It doesn't happen often, but I still have to give the "speech" to people bent on refinishing an old collectable instrument.
Here it is. It's also the Mustang I used to make the template for my vintage Mustang pickguard. Pic has the original guard.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:03 am

Sweetfinger wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:18 am
The customer kept asking if we could refinish it. I gave him the speech and said we could, but wouldn't. I'm pretty sure that within a couple weeks of him picking it up, it had rattlecan on it so it could "look new". I took a bunch of photos. There's a tiny chance my admonishments took and it remains this way, but he really wanted to refin it, and likely a coincidence, I'm also in Arizona.
that's GORGEOUS...or was

I've been to Arizona on tour (I'm English) and walking down the street 100 yards to a guitar shop cooked my brains to the point where I barely knew my own name, so maybe it's that? ;)

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:51 am

Yeah, these days that's pretty much the holy grail of Mustangs to me. The year, the aged finish and the play wear. Stunning!

I can see how others might find it ugly, the way the clearcoat can yellow in patches & get rubbed off in other areas. But, refinishing it isn't the answer.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Don Tino
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Don Tino » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:12 pm

Hello