Tremolo system for Revelation RJT-60 DLX

For help with setups and other technical issues.
mFishh
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Tremolo system for Revelation RJT-60 DLX

Post by mFishh » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi there,

I recently bought an RJT-60 M TL DLX (Honeyburst).

Its great, really enjoying it so far, and it is my first foray into the Offset world, although I've been playing for years and years.

The reason for my post is the tremelo system. Mine will not go up and down. And I really want it to.

I've looked into this quite a lot (obviously not quite enough.)

Fender systems do definitely go both down and up.

It does not have the trem lock button that would be on the fender style but the general mechanics seems similar if not the same. It is reffered to as "Bridge / Tremolo: Contemporary 6 Hole mount Vintage Tremolo"

I have tried various tensions on the spring controlling the bar, but the resting position is sitting on the metal plate. When I use the bar, I get a clanking when the arm returns back to the normal position because of this.

I have gauge 10 - 42 strings, standard tuning. Will having more string tension be the resolution here? Should the plate with the spring be floating?

Do i need to replace the system entirely?

Thanks in advance.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tremolo system for Revelation RJT-60 DLX

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:08 pm

Hi, and welcome. From a quick google it looks like your guitar has a generic non locking Jazzmaster style trem, so yes, it should go up and down. From what you describe, the spring tension is much too high, and is “overpowering” the strings, causing the neutral position of the moving plate to be tilted back too far. It certainly shouldn’t clang against the top plate.

One possibility is that the cone nut on the bottom of the tension adjusting screw is stuck, so that when you turn the screw, the whole spring and nut rotate, but the tension isn’t changed at all. You can see the cone nut in the diagram here: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles ... ars?page=4

I’d suggest slackening the strings right off (you could capo them high up the neck to keep everything in place), then remove the six screws around the perimeter of the trem (not the three in front of the string anchor plate, or the tension screw), then the whole trem unit will lift out of the guitar. You can then try turning the tension screw and holding the cone nut stationary and see if you can reduce the tension in the spring.

Good luck with it!
All the cheeses....

mFishh
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Tremolo system for Revelation RJT-60 DLX

Post by mFishh » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:19 am

Thanks!

It is now sorted!