New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by MrJagsquire » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:57 am

Glasgowm82 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:57 am
Welcome I’m fairly new to the forum too. Always had jazzmasters tho. Funny you ask about upgrades. They just arrived... fender locking tuners, mustang bridge and mastery brushed metal tremolo! Still deciding pickups but the stock vintera ones are actually pretty damn good! What jazzmaster are you gonna see?
I've got a Mustang bridge on my Player Jaguar, so it just needed the saddle screws thread locking (I actually used some clear nitro as it was handy and I didn't dare go through my wife's nail varnish collection ;D ). I'm really impressed with the pickups in this Player too: I'd intended to take the neck pickup out and make the guitar into a Jaguar version of an Esquire, but if anything I might do the reverse and just have a neck pick up. Was looking at 'The Creamery' pickups, but he is backlogged and not taking orders, so that's probably a good thing. ;D Plus I'm using both pickups quite a bit and the coil tap on the bridge humbucker works well with the neck one, so I'll probably leave it standard at this rate. :whistle:

I've put a deposit down on an ex-demo American Original 60s Jazzmaster in sunburst. It has a tiny chip on the back, but otherwise looks perfect, with £350 off the new order price. It's supposed to have a fatter neck than the Player and Performer Jazzmasters I tried last Friday. I just hope it is as well finished as I'd expect for that price as it will be my most expensive guitar if I take it home.

I'm stuck in a hotel, away with work, so I brought my Player Jaguar to work on and play on headphones. Spent last night polishing the frets and the ends with P1500/P2000 and 3M pads on the fingerboard, then adjusted the set up/action. Now bends don't feel like the frets are gritty and the neck feels smooth without any sharp fret ends. I'm taking it in the shop tomorrow to compare with the AO60s Jazzmaster; if it doesn't feel as good out of the box as my Jaguar does now, then the AO60s Jazzmaster won't be coming home with me and I'll look at Vintera Jazzmasters when they get some back in.

Sorry for the waffle...it's boring in this hotel. ;D

Glasgowm82
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Glasgowm82 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:25 pm

Nice jm what’s her pedigree? I think I got the hang of the pics now... where in Glasgow are you from? I’m Partick. Just got the vintera last week, great for a MIM in my opinion. Hardly any reviews or vids of them in the wild tho. Been a bargain week on gumtree. Fender Eighty five amp for £40 and a Marshall MG100fx head and cab for £90! Serious GAS!! Mastery arrived from uk import place today along with mustang bridge, fender locking tuners and when I’m not buying an electric drum kit and more stuff I don’t need, I’ll get round to new pickups but I’m quite impressed with the stock ones.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190532076 ... ted-public

Glasgowm82
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Glasgowm82 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:34 pm

MrJagsquire wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:57 am
Glasgowm82 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:57 am
Welcome I’m fairly new to the forum too. Always had jazzmasters tho. Funny you ask about upgrades. They just arrived... fender locking tuners, mustang bridge and mastery brushed metal tremolo! Still deciding pickups but the stock vintera ones are actually pretty damn good! What jazzmaster are you gonna see?
I've got a Mustang bridge on my Player Jaguar, so it just needed the saddle screws thread locking (I actually used some clear nitro as it was handy and I didn't dare go through my wife's nail varnish collection ;D ). I'm really impressed with the pickups in this Player too: I'd intended to take the neck pickup out and make the guitar into a Jaguar version of an Esquire, but if anything I might do the reverse and just have a neck pick up. Was looking at 'The Creamery' pickups, but he is backlogged and not taking orders, so that's probably a good thing. ;D Plus I'm using both pickups quite a bit and the coil tap on the bridge humbucker works well with the neck one, so I'll probably leave it standard at this rate. :whistle:

I've put a deposit down on an ex-demo American Original 60s Jazzmaster in sunburst. It has a tiny chip on the back, but otherwise looks perfect, with £350 off the new order price. It's supposed to have a fatter neck than the Player and Performer Jazzmasters I tried last Friday. I just hope it is as well finished as I'd expect for that price as it will be my most expensive guitar if I take it home.

I'm stuck in a hotel, away with work, so I brought my Player Jaguar to work on and play on headphones. Spent last night polishing the frets and the ends with P1500/P2000 and 3M pads on the fingerboard, then adjusted the set up/action. Now bends don't feel like the frets are gritty and the neck feels smooth without any sharp fret ends. I'm taking it in the shop tomorrow to compare with the AO60s Jazzmaster; if it doesn't feel as good out of the box as my Jaguar does now, then the AO60s Jazzmaster won't be coming home with me and I'll look at Vintera Jazzmasters when they get some back in.

Sorry for the waffle...it's boring in this hotel. ;D
Waffle is always welcome! I’d love to get a hotel room with my jazzmaster too! Sounds bliss. They should make an all inclusive hotel for offset fans after this pandemic is over. Sounds a good deal on the original. It should be amazing for the price. My most expensive before this was a 2007 made in Japan jm. Sold it years ago back playing now and went for the vintera then went mad and spent another £400 so far on upgrades. The pandemic made me do it... I was tempted by the player woulda thrown a dimarzio super distortion into that bridge on day one hahahaha

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:42 pm

I've already got a nickel covered DiMarzio 36th Anniversary that I was planing on putting in the bridge. I've got a blank 3 ply B/W/B pickguard that I might cut as a single bridge humbucker and a spare control plate, so I could wire it all up and swap out the standard stuff when I restring it. Easy to change back if I feel like it. Think it would look pretty cool too.

Hotels aren't much fun at the moment: Hard to get a table in the restaurant when you're on your own, so I end up eating in my room and working on my guitar, so I guess that's the best part.

My most expensive prior to this was my Gibson Les Paul Junior...only one pickup, no binding or other fancy stuff, but it's finished perfectly and sounds amazing, with a big fat 50s neck too (about the closest to a '59 burst I'm likely to get ::) ).

O Drones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by O Drones » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:08 am

Just another Glaswegian popping in to this here thread to register my extreme disdain at being referred to as a “Brit”.

As you were.
The Cherry Wave

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:17 pm

On my paternal side, I can trace two distinct lines: one from the Shetland Islands and one from County Cork.

Guess how I feel about the English. Especially Cromwell.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.