Gassing For A Classic Fender Type Amp

Make it loud here.
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: Gassing For A Classic Fender Type Amp

Post by Maggieo » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:34 pm

Milkman Amps makes what you want, almost exactly. But Mike is very proud of his amps. $$$$$
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:30 pm

sookwinder wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:48 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:06 am
You know me, Maggie. I've always lusted for the Secret Agent. In that spirit, I think a DIY would be awesome. I could try to get it similar. I was actually considering making an amp with a standalone spring reverb like an old Fender reverb unit, but built into the amp.
You could always build your own reverb unit (as well).
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=83932
THAT is a really fun idea. I don't know how crowded (for the sake of spacing and for the sake of not overheating either unit) it would be, but having a standalone Reverb unit in a combo would be friggin' amazing. I only perused your build thread quickly, but that is a killer build Sook!!!

Igorilla wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:56 am
Or buy a (FET based) surfy bear reverb unit which is shockingly close to stand alone tube reverb unit (from my experince with a '63 unit, a RI reverb unit, Gomez G-Spring unit und Lil Dawg reverb unit which are all 6G15 circuit)

https://www.surfyindustries.com/
That is something else I would happily consider. I've definitely got some more research to do for my own preferences 8)

Maggieo wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:34 pm
Milkman Amps makes what you want, almost exactly. But Mike is very proud of his amps. $$$$$
That's a lot of money, but damn that thing is amazing. And with that "Milk Century Modern" cabinet option :? :? I feel like custom cabinet finishes should be a free option (or at least cheaper) for an amp that starts at $2.5K... The first demo on the page, when he engaged the tremolo, I almost needed a change of pants. That tremolo sounded like it could've been RIGHT out of a 1960's spy film soundtrack...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:31 pm

Mike's amps are just amazing. Seriously, you nailed the sound of that demo.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:04 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:31 pm
Mike's amps are just amazing. Seriously, you nailed the sound of that demo.
That sound is just :? :? :? I just don't know that I want to spend $3K on an amp. I'm not a good enough player to justify $3K.

Also, after that demo (and that 3rd part especially) I really think I need a hollowbody/archtop for some old-school tremolo action.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:16 pm

Have you tried out a new 65 PRRI yet? I bet you'll put these other Amps & Build ideas to rest if you do... Amazing little Amps out of the box for not crazy money... Plug & Play!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:48 am

Larsongs wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:16 pm
Have you tried out a new 65 PRRI yet? I bet you'll put these other Amps & Build ideas to rest if you do... Amazing little Amps out of the box for not crazy money... Plug & Play!
I haven't yet. As has been pointed out by one or two people, I'm a little leary of amps with PCB-mounted guts for the sake (and expense) of repair, though my Delta Blues and Origin 20 probably are both the same. I do really want to try one, and the lesser amount of money for one is very attractive. Having never played vintage models, I probably will fall in love with one.

I found this a couple weeks ago and didn't realize right away that he's comparing the reissues, not reissues vs vintage models, or even vintage models to different years of the vintage models. I like the way the video very clearly shows which one is being played and is very thorough in different playing styles, etc. I haven't finished the whole thing, but the '64 and '62 sound the best to me.
The 4 Fender Princeton Reissues Comparison - 62 vs 64 vs 65 vs 68

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:47 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:48 am
I haven't yet. As has been pointed out by one or two people, I'm a little leary of amps with PCB-mounted guts for the sake (and expense) of repair, though my Delta Blues and Origin 20 probably are both the same. I do really want to try one, and the lesser amount of money for one is very attractive. Having never played vintage models, I probably will fall in love with one.

I found this a couple weeks ago and didn't realize right away that he's comparing the reissues, not reissues vs vintage models, or even vintage models to different years of the vintage models. I like the way the video very clearly shows which one is being played and is very thorough in different playing styles, etc. I haven't finished the whole thing, but the '64 and '62 sound the best to me.
The '62 and '64 reissues in the above video are both 'handwired' on turret board (as you would find in a vintage example), so no PCB failures to worry about there. If you like the sound and can swing the extra expense, they might be good options for you; mind, however, that both are priced similarly to what a vintage Brownface or Silverface Princeton would set you back though.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:51 am

Larsongs wrote:
Seconded. And the FSRs can be pretty cool...

Syd The Paisley Tele And A Madcap Amp, September 21, 2014 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:04 am

Maggieo wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:51 am
Larsongs wrote:

Syd The Paisley Tele And A Madcap Amp, September 21, 2014 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr
I love it! But FSR? I don't think I know that abbreviation...

blunderbuss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blunderbuss » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:52 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:04 am
Maggieo wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:51 am
Larsongs wrote:

I love it! But FSR? I don't think I know that abbreviation...
FSR is Fender Special Run or Factory Special Run depending on who you ask.
Ryan

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:32 am

Factory Special Run- in this case it's the cosmetics.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:11 pm

IIRC those (paisley amps) got an upgraded alnico speaker too. Very cool things.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:14 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:48 am
Larsongs wrote:

There are these 4 RI Princeton's & several other Factory Special Run versions as well.. Several with different Speakers & Cabinet finishes. The 62 & 64 are highly upgraded as mentioned & are Custom Shop quality. Great but Pricey... The 65 is traditional Spec, the 68 is a modern re-interpretation. Both are excellent Amps & are bulletproof... As well as bargain Priced..

I've had my 65 PRRI for 8-9 years.. It's my most used Amp & play it almost every day, travel & play out with it.. Sounds great, no issues... Unlike my 65 DRRI & Twin Reverb.. Never had a PCB issue with any of them.. (Or any of my other Amps) The Reverb issue in the Twin, which I've had about 15 years, was the Tank. Cheap & easy fix. I had a Tube issue in the 65 DRRI, which I've had for about 10 years, & was repaired under Warranty the first year I had it.....

IMO a 65 or 68 PRRI & or DRRI should be in every Guitar Players tool box.. Bulletproof, hard working, great sounding, versatile reasonably Priced Amps.. Always ready to rumble..

Start with a great Foundation Amp. From there you can build Gucci Amps, buy Boutique or Vintage..

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:08 pm

nanamour wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:47 am
The '62 and '64 reissues in the above video are both 'handwired' on turret board (as you would find in a vintage example), so no PCB failures to worry about there. If you like the sound and can swing the extra expense, they might be good options for you; mind, however, that both are priced similarly to what a vintage Brownface or Silverface Princeton would set you back though.
blunderbuss wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:52 am
FSR is Fender Special Run or Factory Special Run depending on who you ask.
Maggieo wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:32 am
Factory Special Run- in this case it's the cosmetics.
That makes sense. I kinda figured it was the cosmetics in your case Maggie ;) Pink isn't my thing, but that thing is REALLY cool. I was looking around a found a few PR's that might be FSR (limited editions anyways) that are pretty sweet:

Musician's Friend - 65 Princeton Reverb Bordeaux Reserve
Musician's Friend - 65 Princeton Reverb Blonde (sexy as hell)
Sweetwater - 65 Princeton Reverb Lacquered Tweed
Chicago Music Exchange - 65 Princeton Reverb British Sable
Chicago Music Exchange - 68 Princeton Reverb Teal
World Music Supply - 65 Princeton Reverb Western ( :k :k )

Larsongs wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:14 pm
There are these 4 RI Princeton's & several other Factory Special Run versions as well.. Several with different Speakers & Cabinet finishes. The 62 & 64 are highly upgraded as mentioned & are Custom Shop quality. Great but Pricey... The 65 is traditional Spec, the 68 is a modern re-interpretation. Both are excellent Amps & are bulletproof... As well as bargain Priced..

I've had my 65 PRRI for 8-9 years.. It's my most used Amp & play it almost every day, travel & play out with it.. Sounds great, no issues... Unlike my 65 DRRI & Twin Reverb.. Never had a PCB issue with any of them.. (Or any of my other Amps) The Reverb issue in the Twin, which I've had about 15 years, was the Tank. Cheap & easy fix. I had a Tube issue in the 65 DRRI, which I've had for about 10 years, & was repaired under Warranty the first year I had it.....

IMO a 65 or 68 PRRI & or DRRI should be in every Guitar Players tool box.. Bulletproof, hard working, great sounding, versatile reasonably Priced Amps.. Always ready to rumble..

Start with a great Foundation Amp. From there you can build Gucci Amps, buy Boutique or Vintage..
I like the idea of a RI Princeton if I like the tone. I am big on buying something and sticking with it though. I try to make sure I get the gear that I'll want to keep forever, and try not to sell things on. It happens, but I'd rather get something and play. And that could definitely be a Fender reissue. The money is right, and if I've got no issues with it, then that's fantastic. I'm certainly not against getting a reissue Fender. I'm glad to know that they are reliable.

I don't think I'd get either the '62 or the '64 from Fender. If I was gonna drop over $2K on an amp, I'd just go straight for the Milkman, you know? I'm probably leaning towards the '65 over the '68, but that the '68 is a modern reinterpretation is very interesting. What's different about the new '68 compared to the old circuits?

EDIT: I've been looking through some of the FSR reissues and was wondering what the consensus on a PR with a 10" speaker vs a 12" speaker is. A couple of the FSR's have a 12" speaker and the ad literature makes it sound like "the mod that everyone just had to have", which sounds like bullshit to me.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:06 pm

I can’t answer your questions on the differences between the 65 and 68, but I just came to say that RI fenders are very reliable amps.

A handful of guys in my music circle have basically used Fender RI amps exclusively and all of them have been bullet proof for what seems to be close to a decade now of having known them. I’ve only owned a RI Super Reverb and that was for about a year, but I’ll not think twice if Fender tone is what I was after and wanted something reliable. The RI amps sound good, work, and are affordable.