'59 JM - Putting it Right(?)

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: '59 JM - Putting it Right(?)

Post by Kinx » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:45 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:39 am

Obviously most of it is a matter of personal preference, but the vibrato ABSOLUTELY does not feel the same on a Mastery vs. a rocking bridge. Has nothing to do with the spring. I'm a heavy vibrato user and I've had 3 Jazzmasters with Mastery bridges and probably another 3-4 with Staytrems/Mustang bridges... I'm not just pulling this out of my ass. There is a noticeable difference. Whether or not that difference matters to you is another story.
How would you describe the different feel? I use vibrato a lot and I'm really struggling to feel any difference while playing. It honestly feels the same no matter what I do with it (dive, pull, flutter, light swing while strumming...).
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:02 am

I liked the Mastery for awhile but I’m considering putting the original back on.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:27 pm

All the Staytrem love is awesome. It's just too bad acquiring one is a spirit-crushing, flaming pain-in-the-balls anymore. I wish/hope that situation eventually works itself out: either he goes back to making/selling them as before, to everyone, OR he decides to sell the business/equipment to someone who will.

If you can get your hands on one...there you go. Solves everything, doesn't create a bunch of new problems.

A bunch of other companies should take notes.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:08 pm

Kinx wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:45 am
adamrobertt wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:39 am

Obviously most of it is a matter of personal preference, but the vibrato ABSOLUTELY does not feel the same on a Mastery vs. a rocking bridge. Has nothing to do with the spring. I'm a heavy vibrato user and I've had 3 Jazzmasters with Mastery bridges and probably another 3-4 with Staytrems/Mustang bridges... I'm not just pulling this out of my ass. There is a noticeable difference. Whether or not that difference matters to you is another story.
How would you describe the different feel? I use vibrato a lot and I'm really struggling to feel any difference while playing. It honestly feels the same no matter what I do with it (dive, pull, flutter, light swing while strumming...).
Difference in feel might be subtle, but a rocking bridge has a noticeable difference in how smooth the dive and rise of the vibrato sounds. This is more noticeable with a Jaguar, due to the scale, but it's definitely there.
I actually prefer the original threaded saddle vintage version, as I've never really had issues with any, besides on brand new MIJ and MIM models. The grub screws were always sinking on me, until they got rusty.
Rust or loctite, combined with a shim and some medium heavy strings and you're good to go.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:40 pm

Yeah, I guess I never responded to this, but I concur with BoringPostcards. Basically the "rise and fall" is smoother and feels more "engaged" throughout the arm's travel.

The Mastery felt and sounded very "on/off" to me. It's a subtle difference, but it's big enough that I found it distracting and ultimately didn't like it.