Souping Up My Tele Squier (reprise)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
wow-102
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Souping Up My Tele Squier (reprise)

Post by wow-102 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:10 pm

In my spare time, I tinker with my instruments so they give me more awesome results. This describes one of those mods.

I have a great playing 2-pickup Squier Telecaster (made in Korea). I previously upgraded it with a control plate that gives me six pickup tones.

I decided to soup up the Tele once again for even more performance and tonal options. My plan was to transform it into a Nashville Telecaster Deluxe equivalent. A woodworking friend helped me to create a body cavity for a middle stratocaster pickup using a Nashville Tele pickguard.

I ordered a special chrome metal control plate that I got on eBay designed to control three pickups. I searched for "upgrade nashville tele" to find it. It came with Bourns pots mounted to a printed circuit board with Treble Bleed to keep the brilliance from getting "muddier" as the volume is dialed back.

It has six mini toggle switches instead of the stock 5-way blade switch. Three of them are on-off-on and control each pickup by turning it Off or On (in either normal-phase or reverse phase.) The other three are on-on switches to put select pickups in either parallel or series circuit. The switch layout is simple and intuitive. The end result is an instrument that goes beyond the stock five pickup tones.

The solderless connectors made it a snap to wire everything up and install this upgrade. It just dropped in with no surprises. After the upgrade, I now have 35 unique pickup tones. (see the picture)

This upgrade is better than the 5-way switch because I can now do things that my Tele couldn't previously do. I can turn on each individual pickup (in normal-phase or reverse-phase) and put them in either parallel or series connection for fatter tones. I can turn on both the bridge and neck pickups to make it sound like a standard Telecaster. This also gives me all those Brian May (guitarist for Queen) Red Special fat pickup tones. And I can turn on all three pickups at once.

The versatility of this upgrade gives me "tone nirvana" with pickup tones I always wanted (but could never get from stock guitars.)

It seems like this guitar is the one that I consistently grab out of the rack. It's my favorite Tone Tyrannosaurus.

Last edited by wow-102 on Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Souping Up My Tele Squier (reprise)

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:19 pm

That's a really interesting and cool Telecaster mod.

I am inspired to mess with my Tele.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:56 pm

I like it!! Very unique and useful!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:06 am

Hehe, looks fun! Was the switch system a design of your own, or an off-the-shelf part somewhere? I recall there being at least one fairly complex switch seller for telecasters, amongst others, but can't recall the name right now...
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:44 pm

bodhi wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:06 am
Hehe, looks fun! Was the switch system a design of your own, or an off-the-shelf part somewhere? I recall there being at least one fairly complex switch seller for telecasters, amongst others, but can't recall the name right now...
Rothstein? 920D Guitars? Obsidian? Emerson?
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:49 am

Gordon wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:44 pm
bodhi wrote:
Hmm, Obsidian closest, but wonder if there wasn't something around that used partially active switching systems or something... or maybe I've been hallucinating. The others seem to be mainly prewired kits without that many bells and whistles.

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:53 am

bodhi wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:49 am
Gordon wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:44 pm
bodhi wrote:
Hmm, Obsidian closest, but wonder if there wasn't something around that used partially active switching systems or something... or maybe I've been hallucinating. The others seem to be mainly prewired kits without that many bells and whistles.
Ah, here we go: https://toneshapers.com/toneshaper-product-info

Finally got the right search terms...