updating my good ole chorus (BOSS CE-2 content)

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Paco
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

updating my good ole chorus (BOSS CE-2 content)

Post by Paco » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:24 pm

My boss CE-2 has been my main chorus for AGES, and though I really love it, I think its time to consider some other modern options. :whistle:

The only inconvenient with the CE-2 (japanese Boss quirks) is that the only way to power it is daisy chaining it with other old boss pedal, like a DM-2 or a PH-1. I've tried every other option, but this is the only way it'll work without a battery or a very specific individual power supply. Of course this is really limiting and a bit frustrating.

On this recent pedal search I've found that my knowledge on modern chorus is really outdated, so I'd really love to know what are you guys using lately. I really like the mini pedal situation (and I'd also love a cheap option) so maybe something in that direction could be nice. I also like the vibrato option on pedals like the Walrus Audio Julia. I'm not looking for a particular sound or circuit, so pretty much anything that's not physically huge is fine.

Some quick researched options I'd liked so far:

-Way Huge Blue Hippo mkiii
-Kokko Vibrato
-Mooer Ensemble King
-Mr. Black Mini Vintage Chorus

Thanks guys!

dc
Expat
Expat

Re: updating my good ole chorus (BOSS CE-2 content)

Post by dc » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 am

there was a big thread on this recently:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=112062
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:45 am

The blue hippo just seems very limited to me.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:18 am

Paco wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:24 pm
My boss CE-2 has been my main chorus for AGES, and though I really love it, I think its time to consider some other modern options. :whistle:

The only inconvenient with the CE-2 (japanese Boss quirks) is that the only way to power it is daisy chaining it with other old boss pedal, like a DM-2 or a PH-1. I've tried every other option, but this is the only way it'll work without a battery or a very specific individual power supply. Of course this is really limiting and a bit frustrating.

On this recent pedal search I've found that my knowledge on modern chorus is really outdated, so I'd really love to know what are you guys using lately. I really like the mini pedal situation (and I'd also love a cheap option) so maybe something in that direction could be nice. I also like the vibrato option on pedals like the Walrus Audio Julia. I'm not looking for a particular sound or circuit, so pretty much anything that's not physically huge is fine.

Some quick researched options I'd liked so far:

-Way Huge Blue Hippo mkiii
-Kokko Vibrato
-Mooer Ensemble King
-Mr. Black Mini Vintage Chorus

Thanks guys!
My immediate though would be just getting a power supply with individual outs so you can power the CE-2 like it wants to be. Is that not an option or is it just old and you want to try something new?

CE-2w seems like an obvious replacement in that case, although I'm a bigger fan of the Ibanez CS-9/Mini Chorus. Similar sounding but with a bit more high end.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:23 am

What kind of power supply are you using with your CE-2?

Paco
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paco » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:46 pm

fortytwo wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:23 am
I've tried EVERYTHING to power the CE-2 individually. 12V Isolated shit, non isolated, onespot, power-all, you name it: the CE-2 won't power unless it is chained with a regular 9V (?) to another weird old boss, like the DM-2 :unsure:
Japanese early Boss are usually pretty special with power needs, but this one is ridiculous. The 12 weird volts are only supplied by the old ACA boss power supplies which suck and are huge, unreliable and expensive.

It hasn't been a problem because I usually pair the CE-2 with a DM-2 or a PH-1 phaser, but it has always been drag not being able to use it on its own. And I don't wanna mess with it internally, of course. Its so beautiful but unpractical and stressful haha. :fp:

The CS-9 seems like a great option! Has anyone tried the mr black mini? I love their stuff and I'm intrigued by it. I often dream with the Twin Lazers :?
Last edited by Paco on Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:21 am

I'm rocking the Zoom MS70 CDR, and always recommend checking that out. That said... you might want to take a look at the medusa and/or empress chorus pedals from Red Witch. Both are just gorgeous sounding choruses that would fit really well where a CE-2 used to be as well as cover a wider range such as the vibrato you talked about. They're a little on the larger side, though.

The CE-2W suggestion isn't bad, either. If you can find an old Arion chorus, those sound incredible and shouldn't be too expensive. EH makes a number of smallish and cheapish chorus pedals you could check out, too.
This is an excellent rectangle

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:47 am

Paco wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:46 pm
fortytwo wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:23 am
I've tried EVERYTHING to power the CE-2 individually. 12V Isolated shit, non isolated, onespot, power-all, you name it: the CE-2 won't power unless it is chained with a regular 9V (?) to another weird old boss, like the DM-2 :unsure:
Japanese early Boss are usually pretty special with power needs, but this one is ridiculous. The 12 weird volts are only supplied by the old ACA boss power supplies which suck and are huge, unreliable and expensive.

It hasn't been a problem because I usually pair the CE-2 with a DM-2 or a PH-1 phaser, but it has always been drag not being able to use it on its own. And I don't wanna mess with it internally, of course. Its so beautiful but unpractical and stressful haha. :fp:

The CS-9 seems like a great option! Has someone tried the mr black mini? I love their stuff and I'm intrigued by it. I often dream with the Twin Lazers :?
Sounds like something is wrong with the one you have.
I’ve had a couple of them, and I’ve never had that problem.

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:29 pm

You could always do a PSA mod

https://stinkfoot.se/archives/1019

preservation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by preservation » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:55 pm

the Mr. Black mini is GORGEOUS, it surpassed all expectations i had of it once i realized the Mix knob is a huge factor.
i didn't get rid of it until i started using a GFI Synesthesia.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Honestly, the WazaCraft is really, really good.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:06 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:27 pm
Honestly, the WazaCraft is really, really good.
Seconded. I love mine.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.