Appreciation for Covet?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Appreciation for Covet?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:51 pm

I've known about Yvette Young for a while and have loved her playing ever since I first heard her play. Her style is so unique with the tapping and fingerpicking mixed. For a while, they hadn't released an album, and I was really hoping for something. They've got 2 now (slipped under my radar!) that I've gotta pick up.

Anyone like Covet? I don't hear about them much around here.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Appreciation for Covet?

Post by Jan Deal » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:50 am

I really like them. I think that Yvette Young's playing - whilst being super technical - is very melodic. None of it feels like she is showboating and most importantly the songs are good.
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:57 am

Them, and this whole subculture of idolizing midwest emo math rock, I find really weird. Cool, but weird. Maybe because I lived through it? I remember even back then American Football being some big deal, and I got that first EP when it came out and liked one song on it and didn't quite get the hype. By the time the full album came out I was kinda over them. I don't really understand why that band, of all bands from back then/there, became the one to hold up and make a big deal of. For some reason I follow her on social media, but their music doesn't particularly speak to me at all. Maybe it's way too many notes or something. But I find entertainment in gawking at it, and how the skill/playing is so far beyond my ability.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:05 pm

yeah i quite like covet. i will say one thing about the last album. yvette has a great voice but did anyone else think the songs where she sang, the vocal melody was rubbing hard against something in the guitars?
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'