Everyone needs a stompbox.
ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JHS Pedals 3 Series

Post by ElephantDNA » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:46 am

beninma wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:29 am
If the bias is turned way down it acts a lot like a Fuzz Face. The Bias interacts with the Fuzz knob to turn into something else entirely.

It doesn't have a tone knob, but the voicing on it doesn't strike me as particularly likely to clash with different setups. We all have tone knobs on the guitars for the most part.
I think the pedal IS just a fuzz face with some mods. Since the tone knob is completely useless on those, it's not really missing here.
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:13 pm
over the years i've built/modded at least 15 FF's. i dunno what it is but they dont seem to get along with me. i think the issue is most of them sound a bit too.......... 60 year old uncle who talks about how real musicians dont need computers, it's like the generic blooze lawyer fuzz which never sat well with me.
Also may as well repost my favorite post ever from this forum. To me fuzz face always did sound like "tip your waitresses." But we've already done that thread :D.

beninma
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beninma » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:56 am

The Classic Fuzz Face circuit doesn't have a tone knob.. so of course it's useless.

I haven't gone looking at schematics for boutique 2-transistor fuzzes but there's more than one way to make a tone circuit so I'm sure some are useful.

Maybe the 3-series is very close to a Fuzz Face. The bias is sure nice though.

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:02 am

beninma wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:56 am
The Classic Fuzz Face circuit doesn't have a tone knob.. so of course it's useless.

I haven't gone looking at schematics for boutique 2-transistor fuzzes but there's more than one way to make a tone circuit so I'm sure some are useful.

Maybe the 3-series is very close to a Fuzz Face. The bias is sure nice though.
Whatever that knob is called - fuzz or something? It's just all the way up or not all the way up. I don't think there's anything in between. Most people just dime it and then use guitar volume.

beninma
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beninma » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:54 am

I've had the 3-series Fuzz for a while now.

Perhaps just because of the Bias knob it's not quite like a classic FF in that it definitely has useful settings that don't involve maxing the fuzz dial.

Also it doesn't seem to have issues where it needs to be plugged directly into the guitar. JHS must have designed it to have more input impedance. It still cleans up fine but it seems to work fine even behind a buffer IIRC.

I haven't tried it with a wah, I do have a wah pedal but I basically never use it.