First guitar resto? Cheap classical, nylon string

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

First guitar resto? Cheap classical, nylon string

Post by invisible man » Tue May 05, 2020 12:42 pm

Taking a look at my first guitar, a nylon string classical by McCabe’s. Not worth much money, sentimental value. Bridge popped off after being left in a hot car, haven’t touched it in a decade. Do I need specialized clamps to reglue the bridge, or could I just tape it? Maybe weight the top a bit while glue dries? What glue to use? How best to remove old glue? Will need a new bone bridge piece, seems like I lost the original, probably was plastic. If strings are nylon, does bone or plastic bridge even matter? Any good way to add a pickup? It would be nice to play at home, maybe record a bit. Thanks OSG, best guitar forum
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: First guitar resto? Cheap classical, nylon string

Post by Danley » Tue May 05, 2020 12:56 pm

If that's laminate, the bridge may be a challenge to get glued; I'm guessing it is lam, since it took a pretty decent chunk of the top with it. But maybe repairs stand up to nylon better than steel? In general clamping is the way to go; but I'll let the experts weigh in on this case.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

bdf83
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bdf83 » Thu May 07, 2020 3:04 am

Having tried to reglue a bridge I'd recommend using a fair few clamps to make sure you've got decent pressure across the whole bridge. I tried to do it with one in the middle and while it held it's probably not a tight all the way across as it could be.

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:46 pm

Double post
Last edited by invisible man on Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:48 pm

So I got a razor blade scraper and took off the decals and paint. Some glue is left, but not a lot. Took some finish off, scrapes in a few places. Still like it better than before. What to do about the etching I did in the headstock?

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:57 pm

Finally got around to having this repair done. I have my first guitar back and it is so awesome (to me). Scraped the etching into the headstock off. It went into the wood a bit, have to sand a bit if I want it all gone. Not sure if I should try to do any spot refinishing afterwards or not. I just want to erase the juvenile elements I added in my teens, I don’t care if the rest of it is rough. The razor scraper I used dug some lines into the finish. Maybe an inlay would be cool, but I wouldn’t want to try it myself. Somehow my son pulled the base of the handle out of the chipboard case.

A new song is coming out of this one already.